Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Bent OCC mount?

Trader history for thePete (0)

Has anyone else experienced this? I noticed it was a little tweaked and have been monitoring it and it has bent more. I would suspect it's from engine movement, and it doesn't seem to be catastrophic, but it's still something.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Drill and tap another screw on it so the holes are in a triangle pattern to evenly distribute pressure. [like]

OP
T
Thread Starter #4
I'm honestly not too concerned about it, I'll worry when the paint on the mount cracks, but it speaks to an inadequate design, and is worth mentioning, since they've already redesigned it once. It's also a little disconcerting to have that much strain over and over on the Evap line fittings.

Yea, the 1st design broke on me and was dangling close to the accessory belt. Felt like i lucked out on catching it early before something worse happened. Needless to say, i probably wont be getting anything from them in the future till i know its tested long term.

OP
T
Thread Starter #6
Yeah... They seem to be having "not enough testing before pushing to market" issues more and more lately.

I'm pleased with the overall quality, but the mount clearly needs some revision.

SFP

I keep a spare bracket because I figured it might break again sometime lol went thru 3 of the original ones..

OP
T
Thread Starter #8
So I went to do my oil change yesterday and noticed my bracket is bent even more, to the point where I think I will be making a new one myself.
[MENTION=1848]mishimoto[/MENTION] why not make it mount off the exposed studs of the motor mount, so it moves with the motor? That's clearly the issue with this version of the mount. It's fixed off the structure of the car and as the engine rocks back and forth it pulls the can. I'm sure it's great for the fittings on the hoses too.... Kinda pissed that I spent this kind of money for a half-baked product that I'll have to build my own mount for in order for it to not damage itself.

mishimoto1

So I went to do my oil change yesterday and noticed my bracket is bent even more, to the point where I think I will be making a new one myself.
[MENTION=1848]mishimoto[/MENTION] why not make it mount off the exposed studs of the motor mount, so it moves with the motor? That's clearly the issue with this version of the mount. It's fixed off the structure of the car and as the engine rocks back and forth it pulls the can. I'm sure it's great for the fittings on the hoses too.... Kinda pissed that I spent this kind of money for a half-baked product that I'll have to build my own mount for in order for it to not damage itself.
We can have another bracket sent out to you ASAP so you don't have to make one. I'll send you a quick PM.

-Diamaan

OP
T
Thread Starter #10
That's the thing. There's nothing wrong with the construction of this bracket. It's the design. Replacing it with a new unit won't fix the problem. The issue is that the can is mounted to a fixed point, and the engine moves. There is a very easy spot to build a bracket off of with the protruding studs on the engine mount, which is where I will fabricate mine from. It'll locate the OCC in the same spot and move with the engine. It's not complicated.

OP
T
Thread Starter #12
Yeah, a little disappointed. It really seemed like the best option on the market at the time and Mishi seemed to have stepped their game up. When I was in the 240 scene 10 years ago, they were on par with GodSpeed and other ebay crap, I thought they'd stepped their game up. All the issues with the intake set up, etc, started cropping up after I bought. And really, everything about the actual OCC system is great, the can is solid, feels good, threads are nice, etc. The lines are really nice and heavy duty, it all fit great. The bracket is just a piss-poor design, and I'm not gonna band-aid it by putting the same bracket back on so it can bend again.

mishimoto1

Your feedback is appreciated, thanks for letting us know. I'll work with the lead engineer for this project tomorrow so I can get his thoughts on the issue.

-Diamaan

My original-location bracket broke and I posted a thread on here over a year ago, which from what I understand, helped spur the innovation of the new body-mounted bracket that is standard today for the OCC. I was one of the first to buy the OCC on their pre-sale and also one of the first if not the very first to have it fail. They sent me a replacement bracket for the original position, and I have been using that for over a year now without any issues, however the top part is bent identical to the pictures in this thread. Mishimoto also sent me the 'gen 2' bracket, though since the other one never failed, I never re-installed it.

To me is seems like a very simple solution. Tap another hole/thread on the top of the can for another screw. Hell, maybe even two more to make it a nice even 4. That would solve the problem I believe. I also have a friend who does welding and I am sure I can toss him 5 bucks to put a little tack on the can and mount, mating them semi-permanently. Then again, if it ain't broke don't fix it, right? It's bent not broke, so I have just left it alone. I am now stage 5 and empty the can every two weeks and have not had any issues since the first initial failure of the gen 1 bracket.

OP
T
Thread Starter #15
That won't solve the problem. Why is it bending? Because the motor moves and the can doesn't. All you'll do is move the flex point.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

mishimoto1

After speaking with our lead engineer for the project, some design changes were made that should fix the problem, but those changes have not made it to our warehouse quite yet. I've brought this to the attention of our Head of Engineering as well, so I'll know more by midday tomorrow for the next steps!

-Diamaan

OP
T
Thread Starter #17
So it's been over 10 days since "tomorrow"... Anything yet?

mishimoto1

Hey guys,

Apologies for the long delay. We've come up with a change to the design. See below:

For structural integrity, we added another beam that conjoins the center bar in a perpendicular orientation. This added structure makes the bracket much stronger and less prone to damage and bending from the constant movement of the engine. The thickness of this added bar is the same as the rest of the bracket, which will be provide excellent reinforcement for the leaning bracket. Fitment hasn't changed either...

We are gearing up to mass produce these brackets so we can have them on hand to send out to those of you with damaged brackets. More to come within the following week!

-Diamaan

OP
T
Thread Starter #19
Not interested. It doesn't solve the core issue. I'll just make my own bracket that will correct the problem instead of just moving the weak link.

Also, it doesn't bend there. It bends at the mounting screws that hold the can onto the bracket. I can't see this changing that at all.

I'll take a new bracket but I think the biggest thing is getting minimum of 3 machine screws into the can head