Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Bent OCC mount?

Trader history for thePete (0)

Not interested. It doesn't solve the core issue. I'll just make my own bracket that will correct the problem instead of just moving the weak link.

Also, it doesn't bend there. It bends at the mounting screws that hold the can onto the bracket. I can't see this changing that at all.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
What design did you have in mind? I'm still on the original engine mounted bracket that hasn't failed yet even though the first one in the same place snapped.

OP
T
Thread Starter #22
It needs to mount off something that moves with the engine. It's not a matter of failure, it's strain on components. If the bracket is bending, the hoses are pulling on it. That's straining the connectors and the hoses. The bracket may not break, but it's stressing components. The hoses would need to be flexible or the bracket needs to mount to the motor somewhere. I suggested the top of the motor mount, as there's space there, and with a rib incorporated into the design it wouldn't fatigue. I haven't tested it, but I feel like it would work.

I'm not concerned about short term issues, I just don't like the idea of it doing that for 50k miles.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
It needs to mount off something that moves with the engine. It's not a matter of failure, it's strain on components. If the bracket is bending, the hoses are pulling on it. That's straining the connectors and the hoses. The bracket may not break, but it's stressing components. The hoses would need to be flexible or the bracket needs to mount to the motor somewhere. I suggested the top of the motor mount, as there's space there, and with a rib incorporated into the design it wouldn't fatigue. I haven't tested it, but I feel like it would work.

I'm not concerned about short term issues, I just don't like the idea of it doing that for 50k miles.

The original location had the bracket off the engine. Some still had issues as ti now transfers the full engine vibration and can lead to failure.

OP
T
Thread Starter #24
Still the best place to put it unless they plan on making longer/softer lines.

Vibration fatigue is still a reality, but I think that was a function of their design, which I haven't had the chance to see up close. It mounted off the alternator bracket or something, right?

OP
T
Thread Starter #26
That's still the best place for it. Or use softer lines that are long enough to not torque the mount.

mishimoto1

Hey guys,

When you combine the up and down movement and pulling lines, we do believe that is the main culprit. You also should be aware that torquing the bracket with your hands when trying to unscrew the bottom of the can will cause unwanted bending in that area. In addition this backbone piece we've added to the bracket, the material thickness has also increased. It will stay in place with reduced movement and the lines will have enough slack to not pull on the fittings during engine loading and unloading.

-Diamaan

OP
T
Thread Starter #32
Well, 12000km or less later, it's broken. Only ran down a 1/4 mile twice, no track days. Stock motor mounts. I've only removed the can to drain it once and I held the top with my hand while unscrewing. There's no justification for this. It's a crap design and I'm pretty pissed about it. It's not like this was a $50 universal ebay catch can. All i know is this will likely be the last mishimoto product I buy. The line is now biting into the insulation on my ac line because the can is so far out of position.

OP
T
Thread Starter #33
Bueller? Your product failed in less than 15,000km and was professionally installed.... Your solution is to beef up the part of the bracket that has no signs of fatigue...

The biggest problem for me is I am Canadian and bought it through a Canadian vendor. Im not sure what recourse I have here, I bought what was marketed as a premium product and now I'm left removing it until I come up with some type of solution for it.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Two problems here...first, it says Mishimoto on it, second it is the customers that do the testing for Mishi. Solution? Refund or wait for hell to freeze over for them to correct the problem, buy Damond, it bolts to a factory stud.

mishimoto1

Bueller? Your product failed in less than 15,000km and was professionally installed.... Your solution is to beef up the part of the bracket that has no signs of fatigue...

The biggest problem for me is I am Canadian and bought it through a Canadian vendor. Im not sure what recourse I have here, I bought what was marketed as a premium product and now I'm left removing it until I come up with some type of solution for it.

I'll send you a PM.

-Diamaan

OP
T
Thread Starter #36
Two problems here...first, it says Mishimoto on it, second it is the customers that do the testing for Mishi. Solution? Refund or wait for hell to freeze over for them to correct the problem, buy Damond, it bolts to a factory stud.
I'm not sure a refund is possible since it's been on my car for 6 months and was purchased from a 3rd party vendor, but I would definitely send it back and just be done with it.
Factory PCV hose is back on for now.

I have to agree this isnt the best design. Im having to constantly check the clamps/can for any fatigue/loseness. Not sure I like any of the other designs on the market either.

OP
T
Thread Starter #38
Got a replacement from them, great service that way. Sent to my door via postal so I didn't get dinged with brokerage. Undecided if it's gonna go back on or not but at least they were good about standing behind it.

Got a replacement from them, great service that way. Sent to my door via postal so I didn't get dinged with brokerage. Undecided if it's gonna go back on or not but at least they were good about standing behind it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8
Would have been nice to have info for replacement here [MENTION=1848]mishimoto[/MENTION]... how do I get mine replaced?
Is it the same design or 3.0 improved?

OP
T
Thread Starter #40
Same exact as what I had. It's supposed to be a holdover until the new design. Which doesn't address the issue, Imo.