Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Should be excited for the upcoming Auto-x season, but not....

Last October bought my 2015 and got a few local events in to start getting a feel for it. Plan for this year was to get some 16" wheels and 200tw tires. I had been chomping at the bit to get this season started until my wife found out in January that her position was being eliminated at the end of March. So now it is almost the middle of March and she has not found a new job yet and I am facing the reality that I may have to run this season on my all-season tires on the stock wheels. I have debated to at least getting some cheaper summer rubber to put on the stocks, but am not sure that I want to spend money on 17' tires that I really don't want (not to mention the cost of having to un-mount/re-mount the all seasons in the fall.

Sucks to hear about the wife's job situation. Been there myself.

One option to explore would be finding a reliable co-driver who would split some of the associated costs with you. I.e. tires, wheels, fuel, ancillaries, etc. whatever you feel fair splitting on car stuff related to it running this season. I've done this in the past with a few ST rides where there's a agreed dollar amount per event or season. If you're on local autocross groups or have a few friends that you run with and maybe they want to get more serious about running this season, this is a great win-win option for all involved.

Just a thought. Hope you can figure a way to enjoy your car between the cones this year, and hopefully I bump into you at a event!

Last October bought my 2015 and got a few local events in to start getting a feel for it. Plan for this year was to get some 16" wheels and 200tw tires. I had been chomping at the bit to get this season started until my wife found out in January that her position was being eliminated at the end of March. So now it is almost the middle of March and she has not found a new job yet and I am facing the reality that I may have to run this season on my all-season tires on the stock wheels. I have debated to at least getting some cheaper summer rubber to put on the stocks, but am not sure that I want to spend money on 17' tires that I really don't want (not to mention the cost of having to un-mount/re-mount the all seasons in the fall.
The OEM RE050A's are pretty good at the regional level. I've won HS a few times and placed pretty high in other events on stock summer tires.

I'm assuming you've got the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3's? How many miles on them?

I'm almost tempted to trade you my unmounted OEM summers to give you no reason to not go autocrossing. [grinking]

OP
Patch
Thread Starter #5
Put BFG Comp2 A/S on mid-November, so they have under 4K miles on them.

As far as bringing a co-driver on to split cost, I only run in local non-SCCA events. Definitely something I would look into though if I was doing SCCA, so thanks for the great suggestion.

I have seen some people talking about the Federal tires, so maybe I'll look around to see who carries them locally.

I'll run this season regardless, will likely just adjust the # of events based on what I end up running on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The problem with the Federals is that the top two choices (RS-R/RS-RR) for our cars (made in MULTIPLE sizes we can use) are 140 tread wear rated. [:(]

The plain 595s, and the 595 Evos are 240 tread wear, so fully 'legal' (and also even a good bit more affordable than the already very reasonable RS-R/RS-RR prices! [thumb]).

codestp202

The problem with the Federals is that the top two choices (RS-R/RS-RR) for our cars (made in MULTIPLE sizes we can use) are 140 tread wear rated. [:(]

The plain 595s, and the 595 Evos are 240 tread wear, so fully 'legal' (and also even a good bit more affordable than the already very reasonable RS-R/RS-RR prices! [thumb]).
Very true. I stopped worrying about competitively running in an autox group once I began my upgrades. Basically all the bolt-ons I did put me in the highest class so I go out there to have fun. And the RS-R and RS-RR are a wonderfully cheap way to get a grippy tire.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Very true. I stopped worrying about competitively running in an autox group once I began my upgrades. Basically all the bolt-ons I did put me in the highest class so I go out there to have fun. And the RS-R and RS-RR are a wonderfully cheap way to get a grippy tire.
Same here, and IF I ever even decide to autocross this thing, (and not just do open track days) I REFUSE to run with the SCCA and their draconian, set by their biased/obstinate 'SEB' members' rules! [nono]

Hopefully, NASA/local indie run groups have a little more realistic class rules ([dunno]).

I WILL give the SCCA credit though for their many, affordable, "Track Nights" around the nation. [thumb]

I understood that the stock tires are not legal in HS due to treadwear rating?

codestp202

Same here, and IF I ever even decide to autocross this thing, (and not just do open track days) I REFUSE to run with the SCCA and their draconian, set by their biased/obstinate 'SEB' members' rules! [nono]

Hopefully, NASA/local indie run groups have a little more realistic class rules ([dunno]).

I WILL give the SCCA credit though for their many, affordable, "Track Nights" around the nation. [thumb]
Yeah, I stopped going to SCCA autox as well. There are other organizations around me where we get to do unlimited runs all day long. I did so many runs I got exhausted and went home with 3 hours left. SCCA I got 4 runs... 4 minutes of autocross for an all day event.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^I lost A LOT of faith (pretty much ALL, in fact) in them (and never forgave them) for dropping their Pro Rally program, instead of trying to EXPAND it, while using the excuse of insurance premiums. [mad]

^^^I lost A LOT of faith (pretty much ALL, in fact) in them (and never forgave them) for dropping their Pro Rally program, instead of trying to EXPAND it, while using the excuse of insurance premiums. [mad]
I can see why they dropped ProRally after the deaths of the Subaru Rally Team USA crew at Oregon Trail back in 2003 but stage rally is hard to insure due to the "wild" nature of the events themselves.

No real way to close the course to the general public like a racing circuit. You can't make everyone spectating sign the waiver since there are so many places to watch an event.

I remember one year that I was marshaling Sno*Drift and a drunk lady tried to go down a hot stage in the middle of the night against the flow of race cars. We had to physically block her and get the cops to arrest her.

I'd think that the SCCA dropped ProRally because it was a case of sacrificing the limb to save the body.

IMO, SCCA has some flaws in their Solo program (minimal seat time is one that comes to mind) but it's way more structured than many other clubs I've run with.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I can see why they dropped ProRally after the deaths of the Subaru Rally Team USA crew at Oregon Trail back in 2003 but stage rally is hard to insure due to the "wild" nature of the events themselves.

No real way to close the course to the general public like a racing circuit. You can't make everyone spectating sign the waiver since there are so many places to watch an event.

I remember one year that I was marshaling Sno*Drift and a drunk lady tried to go down a hot stage in the middle of the night against the flow of race cars. We had to physically block her and get the cops to arrest her.

I'd think that the SCCA dropped ProRally because it was a case of sacrificing the limb to save the body.

IMO, SCCA has some flaws in their Solo program (minimal seat time is one that comes to mind) but it's way more structured than many other clubs I've run with.
^^^ALL true and correct, but then HOW does Rally America do it, and afford the insurance (or do they just 'wing it')??

I had also worked a stage (when the SCCA was still the organizing body) on which a competitor lost his life, on the 1992 STPR event, so yes, I can see their 'point', but NO ONE has EVER died on a road course event sanctioned by them?!??
(Although yes, I know you are going to bring up that it is NOT as frequent a tragedy at those much more controlled venues.)

OP
Patch
Thread Starter #16
I'm now excited for the season again! I ordered wheels and tires yesterday. Going with a set of 16x7 Konig Controls wrapped in 215x45x16 Falken Azenis RT615K+ rubber. Not the lightest of wheels, but still lighter than stock. Was considering Re71's, but my friend, who I ordered from, talked me into being the local guinea pig for the new version of the Falkens. Should have everything next week and be ready for the Test & Tune with the local group on 4/30!

I'm now excited for the season again! I ordered wheels and tires yesterday. Going with a set of 16x7 Konig Controls wrapped in 215x45x16 Falken Azenis RT615K+ rubber. Not the lightest of wheels, but still lighter than stock. Was considering Re71's, but my friend, who I ordered from, talked me into being the local guinea pig for the new version of the Falkens. Should have everything next week and be ready for the Test & Tune with the local group on 4/30!

Good news! I'm interested on some impressions of the new falken on our cars. It's on the short list of tire options for this season for a few of us locally in MKE.

Best of luck at the event!

OP
Patch
Thread Starter #18
Good news! I'm interested on some impressions of the new falken on our cars. It's on the short list of tire options for this season for a few of us locally in MKE.

Best of luck at the event!
I'll let you know what I think of them!

New Falken RT615K+

If anyone is looking at the new compound rt615k+'s...

... I bought them when they came out last month and tried them out at autocross today.

Here's a few, quick bullets.

Pro: predictable, get warm quick... did not overheat, low cost
Con: less ultimate grip compared to re71 & rival S

These will probably be a great all around track tire d/t cost and heat management but will not dethrone any autocross tire.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Is there any logical, engineering/physics reason WHY Bridgestone INSISTS on producing the RE71Rs with such overly, ridiculously NARROW tread widths within a given size, as compared to other 200 TW donuts?? [???:)]
(Weight reduction, better narrow wheel support, better 'rollover edge' performance, feel that they make up for lack of width with ultimate compound stickiness, etc.? [dunno])