Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST vs '60's muscle cars

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Having lived through a parking lot in High School of day glow painted orange, lime green, purple, bright yellow muscle cars I thought it would be interesting to see how my car would have stacked up to these legendary fire breathing dragons. I was surprised that according to road tests my ST Mountune (0-60 6.3 sec) would out run all of these to 60 MPH, wow! It also included my brothers '67 442 and cousins '66 tri-power Goat. From 96 cubic inches no less! Wish I had a time machine to replace my Fiat 600D parked in that lot with my FiST........Pinks anyone?

* 1970 Dodge Coronet R/T Hemi, 426 CID:

0-60, 6.7 seconds; quarter mile, 13.9 seconds

* 1969 Chevy Camaro Z28, 302 CID:

0-60, 7.4 seconds; quarter mile, 15.2 seconds

* 1970 Buick GSX Stage 1 455 CID:

0-60, 6.4 seconds; quarter-mile, 13.9 seconds

* 1970 Oldsmobile 442 W30 455 CID:

0-60, 6.8 seconds; quarter-mile, 14.2 seconds

* 1970 Pontiac GTO Judge Ram Air III 400 CID:

0-60, 6.6 seconds; quarter-mile, 14.6 seconds.

[hah]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The vast majority of the reason for the slow 0-60/60'/quarter mile times for those cars was the 1930s tire technology/width used back then.

VERY difficult to get any decent time when you are smoking the tires BIG TIME in EVERY gear. [burnout]

It was a very different story when even a 'low tech' (by today's standards) drag slick of the day was installed on those cars. [wink]

Still, yes, it IS cool that we do at least match, if not beat, so many of the beasts from that era, exactly as they came off of the showroom floor, with out little 'shitboxes'. LOL

zanethan

The vast majority of the reason for the slow 0-60/60'/quarter mile times for those cars was the 1930s tire technology/width used back then.

VERY difficult to get any decent time when you are smoking the tires BIG TIME in EVERY gear. [burnout]

It was a very different story when even a 'low tech' (by today's standards) drag slick of the day was installed on those cars. [wink]
^This. But it is cool that stock for stock they would be compatible.

It's amazing how much automotive technology has progressed in the last 50 years. Hell even in the last decade. I'm always amazed that the 1.6L from the FiST makes more power than the 5.7L in my '92 Roadie Wagon.

Zormecteon

(on paper) it's quicker than ALL the Camaros from 74 'til the mid to late 90s. Not only that but it TURNS and STOPS. .. ...

As a rough aside, I (go to Hot Rod shows and) see all sorts of tricked out ... well everything, dueces, A's, Studies, etc,.. big blower, big block, tuned small block, you get the picture... but for all the money they put into them you can go buy a stock Corvette and blow them into the weeds... faster, quicker, better fuel economy, braking, cornering, COMFORT, air conditioning... .. .. It's stunning how far we've come. ..... ... ... (I can hardly wait for the big turbo from mountune. I'm seriously considering driving to Cali and having them install it!)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
(on paper) it's quicker than ALL the Camaros from 74 'til the mid to late 90s. Not only that but it TURNS and STOPS. .. ...
It might be quicker than everything f body from '74 up to the EARLY '90s, but not quicker than the '93-'97 LT1, and '98-'02 LS1 f bodies, stock for stock, and you'd be shocked at just how well the 3rd gen f bodies turned and stopped, especially in 1LE trim, let alone ALL of the 4th gens with only a damper change (the factory DeCarbon shocks were CRAP as far as valving goes). [wink]

Not quicker than a 65/66 GT350 either. Those were high hp, low weight rockets of their day.

Zormecteon

It might be quicker than everything f body from '74 up to the EARLY '90s, but not quicker than the '93-'97 LT1, and '98-'02 LS1 f bodies, stock for stock, and you'd be shocked at just how well the 3rd gen f bodies turned and stopped, especially in 1LE trim, let alone ALL of the 4th gens with only a damper change (the factory DeCarbon shocks were CRAP as far as valving goes). [wink]
Ah .. there goes my faulty memory. I remember looking up 0-60 times for all this stuff and remembered into the 90's .. early 90's then. ..

As to other muscle cars, from the 60's .. it beats all the "usual" muscle cars but not the limited production models... as mentioned the GT350, hemi-cudas, Corvettes (except the 1974? stock).. Check the lists and it's surprising.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
High 14 second cars. There were ringer test cars in the 13's .
Yup, but again, even with just today's STREET tires (not even drag radials) with reduced pressure in the rear set, and ALL of those cars would drop seconds off of their 0-60, 60', and 1/4 mile times. [wink]