Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford will not install my down pipe with out a $130 reprogramming fee

So I finally got my mountune downpipe, intercooler and charge pipes. I got a quote from ford to install them. The problem is they want to charge me a reprogramming fee. I have my cobb AP installed so I don't need them to reprogram anything. I bought all mountune warranty approved parts(except downpipe) so I could be mostly warranty friendly and if I tell them I have the AP that kind of defeats the purpose of going this route. I told them I don't need them to reprogram it and the service advisor said that's part of the job and they can't install them without doing that. I really want all the work to my car done by ford. Any advise would be helpful

OP
RobbyD
Thread Starter #2
I guess I could reflash to factory settings before I bring it in. Once I get it back with the downpipe install my tune and the AP should save tune they put on when they installed the down pipe. Then if I ever need to bring it in for service or warranty work I just restore the tune they put on. Would that work?

They have to do what protocol tells them too. Even though you have the AP, they need to remap your car so its not throwing codes when it leaves the place. Honestly the best way to feel safe with the warranty route would be to use the warranty friendly mp230. Otherwise any other tune is a potential reason for them to start voiding things.

Butterybunz

You can't really half arse it and expect to keep your warranty. You either use 100% warranty approved parts and have Ford install them or you dont. Why pay extra for Ford to do the install and for Mountune parts if you're planning to risk your warranty with a different tune in the first place?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^As far as I know/have heard on here, the MR230 (tune OR hard parts) also could void a warranty IF they can prove it caused the problem one is seeking warranty work for, as could even a catcon equipped Mountune downpipe.

The only surefire, totally warranty friendly mod is the Mountune MP215 tune/hard parts, installed by a certified tech.

But I might be wrong on this, anyone know FOR SURE?

(I AM kind of surprised that a certified Ford dealer actually agreed to install a non-EPA approved down pipe on any car, re-programmed or not.)

OP
RobbyD
Thread Starter #6
^^^As far as I know/have heard on here, the MR230 (tune OR hard parts) also could void a warranty IF they can prove it caused the problem one is seeking warranty work for, as could even a catcon equipped Mountune downpipe.

The only surefire, totally warranty friendly mod is the Mountune MP215 tune/hard parts, installed by a certified tech.

But I might be wrong on this, anyone know FOR SURE?

(I AM kind of surprised that a certified Ford dealer actually agreed to install a non-EPA approved down pipe on any car, re-programmed or not.)
I'm in Florida no emissions maybe that's why. And I did lots of research before I went this route. I understand some parts will not be under warranty but if the majority of my parts are approved with Ford and they install them I feel I can still be covered down the road for lots of warranty issues

OP
RobbyD
Thread Starter #7
They have to do what protocol tells them too. Even though you have the AP, they need to remap your car so its not throwing codes when it leaves the place. Honestly the best way to feel safe with the warranty route would be to use the warranty friendly mp230. Otherwise any other tune is a potential reason for them to start voiding things.
Originally I was going to go with the MR230, I want more then the MP215 has to offer but even the MR230 is not covered. So if I'm going to risk my warranty there is no reason to be locked into the Mtune. Mountune actually talked me out of the MR230 and suggested I use all the MR230 parts and go with a AP with their custom tune

I agree with ya man, you dont wanna spend all that money on parts and be limited with their locked tune. If you dont wanna go the ol' do it yourself route, i would suggest looking for a shop around your area that know what they're doing and that can understand your situation. Heck, maybe even a member on this forum is in your area and can help you for a couple beers or something! [cheers]

OP
RobbyD
Thread Starter #9
I agree with ya man, you dont wanna spend all that money on parts and be limited with their locked tune. If you dont wanna go the ol' do it yourself route, i would suggest looking for a shop around your area that know what they're doing and that can understand your situation. Heck, maybe even a member on this forum is in your area and can help you for a couple beers or something! [cheers]
I'm a car dealer and I don't even trust my own service department lol

That's BS. Unless they are flashing aftermarket ECU stuff to it, there's nothing to reflash. Just trying to take your money.

So here's another point of view and my understanding. M-tune parts are NOT warranty approved as far as your standard Ford warranty. They DO provide their own Ford racing/M-tune coverage if that part causes an issue only if installed by a Ford tech as per their installation guide.

So if you're going to install their parts and you want their coverage you have to do it their way.

Here's the kicker if for some reason they look at your flash count and see it doesn't line up with your installs as appropriate for tuning the parts a Ford tech put in they can deny a warranty claim. They just have to put the blame on a non tech installed tune.

Now it sounds like mountune told you differently. Again however, that is my understanding.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Whether FL checks or not is their option. But it is still against the Federal law to tamper with emissions. Even dealers can't do it, they can however have you sign a waiver that you only use the car off road. This also voids you warranty........so think before you have them install it. Take it elsewhere.......

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
So here's another point of view and my understanding. M-tune parts are NOT warranty approved as far as your standard Ford warranty. They DO provide their own Ford racing/M-tune coverage if that part causes an issue only if installed by a Ford tech as per their installation guide.

So if you're going to install their parts and you want their coverage you have to do it their way.

Here's the kicker if for some reason they look at your flash count and see it doesn't line up with your installs as appropriate for tuning the parts a Ford tech put in they can deny a warranty claim. They just have to put the blame on a non tech installed tune.

Now it sounds like mountune told you differently. Again however, that is my understanding.

NOT TRUE!!!! Once Ford is notified and the paperwork sent by photo on your phone Ford adds the equipment to you Factory warranty. I don't understand how the process is explained over and over on this site, on the Mountune and Ford Performance sites and people keep perpetuating this myth that it is not covered.

1. The listed Mountune parts like the MP215 when installed by a Ford dealer OR an ASE certified mechanic are covered on your remaining Factory warranty.
2. You call Ford Warranty at the number provided in your MP215 and register by taking a phone pic of your receipts and emailing then to Ford.
3. You are then covered at any Ford dealership for the remainder of your factory warranty.
4. If your car is out of warranty Mountune warrants the parts per their policy.

Simple procedure. Took all of 5 minute to do.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Whether FL checks or not is their option. But it is still against the Federal law to tamper with emissions. Even dealers can't do it, they can however have you sign a waiver that you only use the car off road. This also voids you warranty........so think before you have them install it. Take it elsewhere.......
I've heard of shops that, even with a signed waiver, will not install EPA/DOT emissions illegal items unless the car leaves their facility on a flatbed/trailer/etc., since they could be considered complicit (by the EPA/etc.) in the violations IF you drive it off of their property onto public roads, and be looking at a $10K+ fine.

NOT TRUE!!!! Once Ford is notified and the paperwork sent by photo on your phone Ford adds the equipment to you Factory warranty. I don't understand how the process is explained over and over on this site, on the Mountune and Ford Performance sites and people keep perpetuating this myth that it is not covered.

1. The listed Mountune parts like the MP215 when installed by a Ford dealer OR an ASE certified mechanic are covered on your remaining Factory warranty.
2. You call Ford Warranty at the number provided in your MP215 and register by taking a phone pic of your receipts and emailing then to Ford.
3. You are then covered at any Ford dealership for the remainder of your factory warranty.
4. If your car is out of warranty Mountune warrants the parts per their policy.

Simple procedure. Took all of 5 minute to do.
It is NOT part of the FACTORY warranty, mountune provides coverage that starts and ends WITH your factory warranty. See the underlined portion of the first post on this thread.
http://www.focusrs.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3252

Also my concern is that they can deny the OP's warranty claim if they find it was flashed by someone other then a Ford tech as far as an issue possibly caused by a tune.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
It is NOT part of the FACTORY warranty, mountune provides coverage that starts and ends WITH your factory warranty. See the underlined portion of the first post on this thread.
http://www.focusrs.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3252

Also my concern is that they can deny the OP's warranty claim if they find it was flashed by someone other then a Ford tech as far as an issue possibly caused by a tune.

Why would believe a post in a forum rather than looking at the actual document? This is why you have an understanding problem. Even when provided guidance on where to get the facts you quote a post on another forum......from a "vendor" giving HIS opinion of a document he has obviously never seen. Wonder what he sells? Even his post gave you a link to Mountune where his underlined lie would have been exposed. Is he that stupid or does he think his customers and readers are?.....I think the latter. He wants to keep people confused about the Ford/Mountune warranty and it seems to be working.

OK I will do it for you, I will try one more time......no forums, no BS, this is the first paragraph from the warranty document at the Mountune site and is exactly what comes in the box when you buy it from FORD. Why would you not go to the source and read it for yourself?

"Ford Motor Company, The American Road, Dearborn, MI 48025, provides a Limited Warranty on select Ford Performance Racing Parts and mountune? Performance Parts as described herein when installed on late model Ford vehicles. This warranty works in conjunction with -- and does not void -- the Manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty. It is valid for the original retail purchaser of the vehicle and is transferable to subsequent vehicle owners."

Notice it says "FORD MOTOR COMPANY .......provides a limited warranty" "Does not void". And you believe what a vendors opinion is? Really? Do you not understand if your MP215 dies FORD will replace it if they provided/installed it? The whole purpose of this deal with Mountune was to give ST owners the comfort that if their cars die in North Podunk the local Ford Dealer has to fix it! It is part of your FORD Warranty and the MP215 is added to your warranty data at Ford Warranty showing it as covered when you register it. It is TRANSFERABLE because it is a FORD warranty.

I sometimes wonder if the Mountune competition trolls wrong Mountune warranty data because they cannot offer it? It is so easily available info I just do not understand why it seems to just keep coming back! Everybody including Mountune can give your FiST more power..........only the MP215 adds noticeable power AND the Factory Warranty.

As to your other understandings.....You can't change the MP215 tune with the AP. Ford only warrants your car with a Factory or the MP215 "tune" which cannot be modified even by Ford. It is fixed to meet EPA and CARB standards. Any other tune is on you no matter who installs it. Ford dealers that do lots of Ford Performance Parts will gladly install the MR230 or any other parts they sell whether they are off road or not. As long as you understand you will no longer have a warranty.

OK I will do it for you, I will try one more time......no forums, no BS, this is the first paragraph from the warranty document at the Mountune site and is exactly what comes in the box when you buy it from FORD. Why would you not go to the source and read it for yourself?

"Ford Motor Company, The American Road, Dearborn, MI 48025, provides a Limited Warranty on select Ford Performance Racing Parts and mountune? Performance Parts as described herein when installed on late model Ford vehicles. This warranty works in conjunction with -- and does not void -- the Manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty. It is valid for the original retail purchaser of the vehicle and is transferable to subsequent vehicle owners."

As to your other understandings.....You can't change the MP215 tune with the AP. Ford only warrants your car with a Factory or the MP215 "tune" which cannot be modified even by Ford. It is fixed to meet EPA and CARB standards. Any other tune is on you no matter who installs it. Ford dealers that do lots of Ford Performance Parts will gladly install the MR230 or any other parts they sell whether they are off road or not. As long as you understand you will no longer have a warranty.
My apologies, Ford is backing or providing the warranty. I get hung up on people saying these parts are covered in your new vehicle warranty. They're not regardless of who provides it, it's separate coverage outside the new vehicle warranty. As stated in you're quote it works in conjunction.

Now outside of my petty semantic squabble. The last part of your post is what matters to the OP.

There's the possibility of voiding the Ford/mountune coverage if they find out he reflashed it after they installed the kit. Assuming they blame the tune for the issue.

So yep he has to flash it stock get it installed then flash it again when he gets it back, but it seems like a good chunk of risk after spending all that money on parts and installs IMHO.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Why do you still insist that it is TWO warranties? The Mountune parts are combined into ONE Warranty with the Ford warranty, not separated.

Here is the definition of "in conjunction with" from the web.

Definition of in conjunction with

formal
: in combination with : together with

The concert will be held in conjunction with the festival. The medicine is typically used in conjunction with other treatments.

I don't claim to be an expert on warranties, I do know I checked with Mountune and Ford directly prior to buying my car or the MP215 and I registered it with the Ford Warranty email address. I also called and spoke to the Ford employee that registered me and asked questions about how it all worked. I was going on a 4500 mile trip and wanted to know what to do if I had problems. Fords answer was; "take it to a dealer, they will run the VIN and see the additional Mountune equipment is listed and covered under your Factory Warranty then repair it."

I am trying to share with you how it works, even provide references and cut and paste from the Warranty document so you don't have to rely on my post as fact. At this point I give up, you seem to not understand that once registered Mountune is out of it......try Ford Customer Care or Mountune maybe they can explain it better so you can understand it.

Zormecteon

I will add .... the mp215 LOCKS. I couldn't even have a new key (fob) made without them flashing back to stock, as even FORD was locked out of getting into the tune. They flashed back to stock, installed the latest TSB programming then used the m-tune to reflash me back to the mp215 settings. ..

I had taken it in before to get the TSB for the oil live reset done and they were locked out then too. .. I didn't want to go thru all the motions of informing them about the tune at that time, but this time I really needed the extra key.

A couple of years ago when I told them I had the tune the service rep said.. "well there goes the warranty" .. I told him "NO" and produced the documentation above mentioned. He said.. "Why didn't I know about this?".. I didn't say.. "It's not my job to do yours"... I just kinda shrugged... (this was at the dealership where I bought the car and have the servicing done--- I had the mp215, intercooler, etc installed at a Ford Racing Shop)... .. the service rep (a different one) is coming around. I thing the mechanic (service technician) gets it with what I've (had) done.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I will add .... the mp215 LOCKS. I couldn't even have a new key (fob) made without them flashing back to stock, as even FORD was locked out of getting into the tune. They flashed back to stock, installed the latest TSB programming then used the m-tune to reflash me back to the mp215 settings. ..

I had taken it in before to get the TSB for the oil live reset done and they were locked out then too. .. I didn't want to go thru all the motions of informing them about the tune at that time, but this time I really needed the extra key.

A couple of years ago when I told them I had the tune the service rep said.. "well there goes the warranty" .. I told him "NO" and produced the documentation above mentioned. He said.. "Why didn't I know about this?".. I didn't say.. "It's not my job to do yours"... I just kinda shrugged... (this was at the dealership where I bought the car and have the servicing done--- I had the mp215, intercooler, etc installed at a Ford Racing Shop)... .. the service rep (a different one) is coming around. I thing the mechanic (service technician) gets it with what I've (had) done.

That was what I was trying to say on this Forum.....Even Ford cannot alter the Mountune data. As to the dealers knowing about the warranty what my dealers Service Manager said is they received training in 2014 on this. None of his Service people currently there had the training. Same with the mechanics, 2 techs got ST training in 2014 neither is there now. I also had mine installed by an independent shop after finding out the Dealer had nobody that had ever touched one except to prep mine! I guess the people that have dealers in larger cities that are familiar with the ST's have more problems that the smaller Ford dealers with service departments. The Smaller ones do not look for reasons to NOT take Ford money for warranty work. To be honest a "volume" dealer" has massive turnover in the shop, and the quality of the service is so spotty. A small dealer who's reputation is important will usually work hard at keeping you happy and making money in his service department and are more likely to have long term experienced actual mechanics not "tech's".