Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Can You Use A Keypad With The ST?

willied

I was thinking about getting a Fiesta ST and I was wondering if the Ford keypad (that goes on the door) works with it. I have it currently on my Explorer (though it's standard and built-in) and I absolutely love having it. I couldn't find anything specific on it. Anyone know?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Is this the keypad where you can punch in a code for unlock entry ?
What function does the keypad perform ?

OP
W

willied

Thread Starter #3
Yes. It's so you can get in the car without the keys.

It would be pointless. The ST already has a "proximity" unlock button on the handle. If your key fob is within 4 feet you can press the button on the handle and the car would unlock.

OP
W

willied

Thread Starter #5
It's nice to have when other people in your family can unlock it without using the keys and being able to lock the keys in the car on certain occasions is nice but a proximity key wouldn't allow that. Oh well...

Well, even if you could get a keypad to work and lock your keys in your car, you would have to find a way to disable the proximity button. If you didnt the proximity button would still work because the keys are in the car and anybody could open it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
W

willied

Thread Starter #7
Yeah, it's not something that would stop me from getting an ST by any means but I was just curious. I'll see if I can ask Ford about it.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Well, even if you could get a keypad to work and lock your keys in your car, you would have to find a way to disable the proximity button. If you didnt the proximity button would still work because the keys are in the car and anybody could open it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
The system has some ability to identify whether the key is inside or outside the vehicle.

For security reasons, I suspect that it disables external unlock when the key is detected inside the vehicle.

Otherwise, anyone would be able to walk up to your vehicle, press the button and gain entry; a carjacker's delight.

Can you test this before ignition, ignition on, then ignition off? It has been a bit since I read the manual, but if recalling correctly, there was some bit about the system disabling any key that has been left inside of the vehicle for a period.