Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

To everyone with a 17x8 wheel on lowering springs...

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
I will be buying some wheels soon in either 17x8 or possibly 17x7.5 depending on rubbing issues. Either way, I would probably be running a 215/40/17 tire.

Does anyone have rubbing issues with either wheel size on lowering springs? I have H&R Sport springs which is one of the lowest drop springs.

I have 17x8 wheels running 215/40/14 tires, and I'm lowered on Mountune springs. To rubbing issues at all here.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I have 17x8 wheels running 215/40/14 tires, and I'm lowered on Mountune springs. To rubbing issues at all here.

Do you have any pics? Im on H&R springs and would be curious of clearance, i believe the H&R springs lower the car a bit more than the mountune springs.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
I will be buying some wheels soon in either 17x8 or possibly 17x7.5 depending on rubbing issues. Either way, I would probably be running a 215/40/17 tire.

Does anyone have rubbing issues with either wheel size on lowering springs? I have H&R Sport springs which is one of the lowest drop springs.
Depends on the offset, what wheels are you thinking?

LT Berzerker

215/40r17 on 17x8 +38 offset on Cobb springs... Only rub was full throttle onto an oval's banking from the infield autoxing and that was only slight fender liner in front and a couple wear spots on the fabric under compression in the rear...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
They're Dunlop Direzza Star-Spec II, and I have a +42 offset
Thanks, as that is the same offset as my 17x8 1.2s, and that is the WIDEST tire (in tread width) I would use on them, and I will not lower the car even as much as you did, so I should be 'good to go'. [thumb]

Thanks, as that is the same offset as my 17x8 1.2s, and that is the WIDEST tire (in tread width) I would use on them, and I will not lower the car even as much as you did, so I should be 'good to go'. [thumb]
If you're not lowering I would size up to 215/45! Much better tire choices. That's my plan when I eventually go BT.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
If you're not lowering I would size up to 215/45! Much better tire choices. That's my plan when I eventually go BT.
I am thinking about that option, but I WILL eventually lower this car, either with some form of coil over, or Swift SpecRs on Koni Sports (neither of which would be as low as the H&Rs).

I am tempted to get the Pilot Super Sports since that is the ONLY size which Michelin makes those in which I can use.
But those tires last SOOOO long, that I'm afraid they will rub when I still have them on these wheels once I DO get around to lowering this car. [:(]

I may just go the 215/45-17 Federal 595 (Evo/RS-RR) route, since they are ~ 1/3rd the cost of the PSSes, and will wear MUCH quicker, and need replacing, by the time I get around to a lowering setup.

I am thinking about that option, but I WILL eventually lower this car, either with some form of coil over, or Swift SpecRs on Koni Sports (neither of which would be as low as the H&Rs).

I am tempted to get the Pilot Super Sports since that is the ONLY size which Michelin makes those in which I can use.
But those tires last SOOOO long, that I'm afraid they will rub when I still have them on these wheels once I DO get around to lowering this car. [:(]

I may just go the 215/45-17 Federal 595 (Evo/RS-RR) route, since they are ~ 1/3rd the cost of the PSSes, and will wear MUCH quicker, and need replacing, by the time I get around to a lowering setup.
I believe you can get the Federal RSRR in 215/40/17 if you don't want to go taller. At least I know you can get the RSR that size. I would go with Michelins PSS or Bridgestone RE71R if I went with 215/45.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yes Federal make A LOT of their 595 tires (most actually) in 215/40-17s.

I forgot about the RE71Rs in that size (thanks!), and although they are about twice the price of the Federals, there are NO worries about those gumballs lasting too long on the street!! LOL ;)

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #18
I purchased a set of Kumho Ecata LE Sports in 215/40/17. I almost bought the Federal 595 RS-R but could not justify the cost ($350) for a tire with 140 AAA treadwear compared to the Kumhos at ($400) for 280 AAA treadwear. Also, we get rain occasionally during the summer and I've read the Federals get practically no traction in the wet.

https://tirerack.com/tires/TireDetailsServlet?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+LE+Sport

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^I did not realize the LE Sports were a 280 tread wear rating.

If that has any relevance at all, they may be fairly sticky anyway, yes, without burning down as quickly as the 140 (or maybe even the 240 tread wear) Federals, as well as (of course) all of the 'street class autocross' 200 tread wear gummies. [thumb]

(The LE Sport tread pattern looks just as impressive as the ever popular on here for that size, 300 tread wear, Yoko S.Drives. [:)])

Hey nemesisfool i'm new to the forum I messaged you about this setup. Absolute love this look, could you give me the details on your setup? like wheels, tire size, and what springs you used. Thanks