Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Considering Purchasing. Couple of Questions

So, I'm looking to purchase something to DD, and would like it to be somewhat fun. I keep reading that the Fiesta ST is one of the funnest cars people have ever driven, even with a 7 second 0-60. That said, I understand that the fun factor is more in the twisties with this car. However, I'm coming from a host of different Mustangs and currently an srt8 Jeep that will do 0-60 in under 5. So, my driving style is a concern. If I want a lane or a spot on the highway, I tend to use the accelerator to take it. A 7 second 0-60 concerns me in that regard. So what's the quickest/easiest/cheapest way to get to 230-250whp yet still reliable as a DD?

depo intercooler, accessport, stratified e30 tune, you'll be sitting at 210whp, and 280ish ftlb tq, it will overall change the car until you decide to go hybrid turbo or BT. Lane changes will not be a problem.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
A mild tune will get you about 215 engine HP and low 6's to 60. The Fiesta is not a drag car. It's brilliance is found in third gear passing and twisty roads. It can be made very fast as you will find many examples here on the forum. I have the Mountune MP-215 and nailing it in third and passing you can almost hear the doors on the other cars being sucked off. The ST platform is excellent for power mods, all it takes is time and money!

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
test drive one that will be all you need to know. the 0 to 60 is a bit of a scam as the first and second are short gears and well you should not use them on the hwy. In 3 and 4 you can put power down. Just need to downshift.

OP
Thread Starter #5
test drive one that will be all you need to know. the 0 to 60 is a bit of a scam as the first and second are short gears and well you should not use them on the hwy. In 3 and 4 you can put power down. Just need to downshift.
I hear ya. I'm also thinking about bumper to bumper traffic at times, since the low-end tq can get you into a spot easier. It seems like in TX, using your blinker alerts the people next to you that you want to change lanes and their response is to move up so you can't. It's best to just punch the gas and take the spot you want without warning. This purchase is one that I'm looking at using for 90% DD duties in San Antonio, TX, with a little bit of fun here and there on the weekends because San Antonio has a lot of hills and twisty roads. It's an option because it's cheap and would allow me to save up on the side for 12-18 months for a 5.0 Mustang or a Shelby or something. The other car I was considering was either a '13 or '14 Accord Sedan v6, because they are apparently fairly quick now, and I know for sure the interior materials are high quality. I know it won't handle like the FiST though. I guess I just need to go drive them both.

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
I hear ya. I'm also thinking about bumper to bumper traffic at times, since the low-end tq can get you into a spot easier. It seems like in TX, using your blinker alerts the people next to you that you want to change lanes and their response is to move up so you can't. It's best to just punch the gas and take the spot you want without warning. This purchase is one that I'm looking at using for 90% DD duties in San Antonio, TX, with a little bit of fun here and there on the weekends because San Antonio has a lot of hills and twisty roads. It's an option because it's cheap and would allow me to save up on the side for 12-18 months for a 5.0 Mustang or a Shelby or something. The other car I was considering was either a '13 or '14 Accord Sedan v6, because they are apparently fairly quick now, and I know for sure the interior materials are high quality. I know it won't handle like the FiST though. I guess I just need to go drive them both.
I've had quite a few nice rwd cars and this car is just a hoot. I couldn't imagine driving anything heavier now, nimble is a contagious virus and this car comes stock with it.

Furthermore, you just can't stop smiling when driving this car.

If only I could let anyone that's looking to buy one, test drive mine:)

Sent from my CIA monitored device

Zormecteon

If I'm cruising along in 6th and see a hole I need to hit, a quick downshift to 4th and you can color me gone. They don't know what hit 'em.... or as was said before.. you can suck their doors off. .. (mp215 kit here too)... I can hardly wait for the mountune turbo upgrade to go to 265 hp. ... I don't need it I just want it. ..

Go test drive. .. mile of smiles

OP
Thread Starter #8
I've had quite a few nice rwd cars and this car is just a hoot. I couldn't imagine driving anything heavier now, nimble is a contagious virus and this car comes stock with it.

Furthermore, you just can't stop smiling when driving this car.

If only I could let anyone that's looking to buy one, test drive mine:)

Sent from my CIA monitored device
Ha, where do you live?

OP
Thread Starter #10
If I'm cruising along in 6th and see a hole I need to hit, a quick downshift to 4th and you can color me gone. They don't know what hit 'em.... or as was said before.. you can suck their doors off. .. (mp215 kit here too)... I can hardly wait for the mountune turbo upgrade to go to 265 hp. ... I don't need it I just want it. ..

Go test drive. .. mile of smiles
Yea I dont know what all these terms mean yet. What is a mp215 kit and what did it cost?

As has been mentioned above, go test drive one.

I drive in stop and go traffic daily, if there is ever a time that I cannot shoot a gap, it is because of traction limit of 205 tires, not power. I just finished Cobb OTS stage 3 a few weeks ago. The 0-60 time being "slow" in this car is mainly because you have to shift to 3rd to get there. This gearing ultimately makes this car quicker, but that one stat slower.

Before I got my Fiesta ST I was without a car for ~2 years(rough time in my life). A couple times a year, I would treat myself by renting a mustang or camaro for the weekend. I remember thinking how sporty, fast, and fun the new mustangs/camaros felt.
About 2 months ago I traveled home and was able to get a good deal on a mustang (ecoboost) rental. It was... slow, so so numb, and... well it felt like an old Cadillac boat! Don't get me wrong the Mustang is a great car and even the ecoboost is technically faster the the Fiesta in a straight line, but it doesn't feel like it. Really overall the main thing I realized after owning a Fiesta ST and going back to driving a mustang for a couple days is, the Fiesta is just fun. The Fiesta ST allows you to enjoy every bit of the driving experience, every time you get in the car.

Zormecteon

Yea I dont know what all these terms mean yet. What is a mp215 kit and what did it cost?
An mp215 https://www.mountuneusa.com/mountune-Fiesta-ST-MP215-Performance-Upgrade-p/2364-215-aa.htm is an airbox, inlet hose, and calibrated ECU tune that bumps the horsepower from 197 to (nominally 215, actually 213?). It keeps your Ford Warranty (36000 mile) intact when purchased from Ford or mountune and installed by an ASE mechanic, then registered with Ford. The cost of the kit is $1000 but there are sales nearly every major holiday. ...... This tune LOCKS your ECU and cannot be removed except by Ford themselves, and the mtune codes to one car and one car only, ever.

A Cobb AccesPort (AP) has multiple calibrations that are switchable (on the fly even!) and can be reset to factory then transferred to another car. Unlike the mountune, it removes the horsepower restrictions the Ford imposes on 1st and 2nd gears (to prevent torque steer? as drivetrain protection?). ... but is not CARB approved and may.. strong emphasis on MAY, void your warranty.

Mountune uses the Cobb Access Port hardware but with their own calibration. .. An AccessPort can also be purchased from mountune with custom calibrations and they will for a period of time (60 days?) allow you to send your data back to them and "Randy" will do a custom tune based on data collected using your fuel and whatever equipment you have (had) installed) including but not limited to intercooler, downpipe, exhaust sytem, and intakes.....

OP
Thread Starter #14
An mp215 https://www.mountuneusa.com/mountune-Fiesta-ST-MP215-Performance-Upgrade-p/2364-215-aa.htm is an airbox, inlet hose, and calibrated ECU tune that bumps the horsepower from 197 to (nominally 215, actually 213?). It keeps your Ford Warranty (36000 mile) intact when purchased from Ford or mountune and installed by an ASE mechanic, then registered with Ford. The cost of the kit is $1000 but there are sales nearly every major holiday. ...... This tune LOCKS your ECU and cannot be removed except by Ford themselves, and the mtune codes to one car and one car only, ever.

A Cobb AccesPort (AP) has multiple calibrations that are switchable (on the fly even!) and can be reset to factory then transferred to another car. Unlike the mountune, it removes the horsepower restrictions the Ford imposes on 1st and 2nd gears (to prevent torque steer? as drivetrain protection?). ... but is not CARB approved and may.. strong emphasis on MAY, void your warranty.

Mountune uses the Cobb Access Port hardware but with their own calibration. .. An AccessPort can also be purchased from mountune with custom calibrations and they will for a period of time (60 days?) allow you to send your data back to them and "Randy" will do a custom tune based on data collected using your fuel and whatever equipment you have (had) installed) including but not limited to intercooler, downpipe, exhaust sytem, and intakes.....
Great info, thanks.
Looks like the Cobb V3 Accessport package might add more power for not much more money. Is that a reliable package?

Zormecteon

Great info, thanks.
Looks like the Cobb V3 Accessport package might add more power for not much more money. Is that a reliable package?
Someone else will have to weigh in on that..... but I've heard nothing but GOOD THINGS about Cobb parts and service. ... I wanted to keep the warranty intact so I went the mountune route.

OP
Thread Starter #16
Someone else will have to weigh in on that..... but I've heard nothing but GOOD THINGS about Cobb parts and service. ... I wanted to keep the warranty intact so I went the mountune route.
Is the 215hp package the only one that keeps the warranty? Or do they offer one with a little more power with additional parts or something?

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
So, I'm looking to purchase something to DD, and would like it to be somewhat fun. I keep reading that the Fiesta ST is one of the funnest cars people have ever driven, even with a 7 second 0-60. That said, I understand that the fun factor is more in the twisties with this car. However, I'm coming from a host of different Mustangs and currently an srt8 Jeep that will do 0-60 in under 5. So, my driving style is a concern. If I want a lane or a spot on the highway, I tend to use the accelerator to take it. A 7 second 0-60 concerns me in that regard. So what's the quickest/easiest/cheapest way to get to 230-250whp yet still reliable as a DD?
A straight answer to your question is: You want reliable 230whp, you'll need a turbo upgrade. There are numerous reliable options out there. The Fiesta ST powertrain was built well; 380whp+ is when you start to get into the dangerzone. If you're not ready for a turbo upgrade, I wouldn't expect more than ~220whp out of the stock turbo which can be done with an intercooler, E30, high flow air filter and a custom tune.

Great info, thanks.
Cobb's OTS tunes are very conservative. I'd highly recommend looking into stratified tuning. They sell a Cobb AP pre-loaded with one of their tunes (you can still use the Cobb OTS maps) that has better drivability while producing more power. Countless positive reviews can be found online in the FiST and FoST communities. These cars are extremely reliable with just a flash tune. There's lots of margin in there from the factory.

http://www.stratifiedauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=117_121&products_id=300

OP
Thread Starter #19
A straight answer to your question is: You want reliable 230whp, you'll need a turbo upgrade. There are numerous reliable options out there. The Fiesta ST powertrain was built well; 380whp+ is when you start to get into the dangerzone. If you're not ready for a turbo upgrade, I wouldn't expect more than ~220whp out of the stock turbo which can be done with an intercooler, E30, high flow air filter and a custom tune.
Cobb's OTS tunes are very conservative. I'd highly recommend looking into stratified tuning. They sell a Cobb AP pre-loaded with one of their tunes (you can still use the Cobb OTS maps) that has better drivability while producing more power. Countless positive reviews can be found online in the FiST and FoST communities. These cars are extremely reliable with just a flash tune. There's lots of margin in there from the factory.

http://www.stratifiedauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=117_121&products_id=300
More great info, thanks! I took a look through the turbo threads a little bit. There's so much info, it would take me weeks to take it all in. I may have to make a decision by this weekend.
It did appear that a turbo upgrade isn't a difficult thing to do, and that some of the options weren't all that expensive. Is this the case? I can't believe the drivetrain will take up to 380whp, that's awesome! I can't imagine ever going over 300whp. I think I'd be pretty happy with 250ish - should be a blast on a track like Texas World Speedway at that power level.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
More great info, thanks! I took a look through the turbo threads a little bit. There's so much info, it would take me weeks to take it all in. I may have to make a decision by this weekend.
It did appear that a turbo upgrade isn't a difficult thing to do, and that some of the options weren't all that expensive. Is this the case? I can't believe the drivetrain will take up to 380whp, that's awesome! I can't imagine ever going over 300whp. I think I'd be pretty happy with 250ish - should be a blast on a track like Texas World Speedway at that power level.
There aren't really any special tools required to perform the upgrade. The most difficult thing about it is the limited work space. Prices range from ~$1500-4300. For what you're asking, a hybrid turbo would best serve up. Poke around the forums for hybrid turbo. There's a lot of discussion on the options.

There are several 350-380whp FiSTs out there on 100% stock powertrains, down to the clutch. The first one blown was the DHM shop owner's. It went around 425whp. We blew my engine too, purposefully pushing it. We're not 100% sure what it was making since I was racing it, but it was def over 430whp. No rods bent or windowed blocks, just ringlands. Currently, my car is built, sitting at 425whp/382wtq and the transmission itself is still 100% stock.