Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

100 or 110 oct tunes

Hey guys, I did some searching around and haven't found a lot of info on 100 oct tunes. I saw Matt Farah's 100 oct video and it looked awesome... I just haven't seen many people go this route... I'm thinking stock/non BT application here. Can anyone here that has a tune for 100 oct describe/review. Is E30>100oct gas? pros/cons? What about 110? I have a Sunoco gas station nearby that sells 100 & 110. I just ordered an AP with Stratified flash tune but already thinking about this. [dunno]

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Race fuel tunes are possible. Probably make around 215-225whp. On E30 you'd come in around 210-220whp.

Cons:
- Race fuel is considerably more expensive than E85
- Availability

Pros:
- Won't max out fuel pumps as quickly as E85, so more power can be had.

Pros Caveat:
- Baby turbo. You're pretty much maxing it out when you move into E30 and race fuels, so fuel flow isn't the limiting factor.

GAbOS

Race fuel tunes are possible. Probably make around 215-225whp. On E30 you'd come in around 210-220whp.

Cons:
- Race fuel is considerably more expensive than E85
- Availability

Pros:
- Won't max out fuel pumps as quickly as E85, so more power can be had.

Pros Caveat:
- Baby turbo. You're pretty much maxing it out when you move into E30 and race fuels, so fuel flow isn't the limiting factor.
This all depends on where you live. ;) The closest E85 pump for me is over an hour away. I can pick up cans of race fuel (in stock locally too) about 5 minutes away.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
This all depends on where you live. ;) The closest E85 pump for me is over an hour away. I can pick up cans of race fuel (in stock locally too) about 5 minutes away.
That's true, but as you said, relative. I can order race fuel to my doorstep.

OP
B
Thread Starter #5
So ... could running E40 net the same gains as 100 oct gas- for less the cost? The 100 oct here is $7.49/gal, that's almost $100 a tank [thumbdown] . I'm not sure what the average whp increase over e30 that e40 would produce. At cobb- Mat Farrah made 240whp on the 100 oct

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95B1J0Ugb64

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
So ... could running E40 net the same gains as 100 oct gas- for less the cost? The 100 oct here is $7.49/gal. I'm not sure what the average whp increase over e30 that e40 would produce. At cobb- Mat Farrah made 240whp on the 100 oct

Matt Farah won't stop haunting us... His base dyno was at 190whp, which is irregular anyway. Regardless, that's a 50whp gain. Most FiSTs will base dyno around 175whp... Assuming you make the same gains, 225whp. You won't see a huge gain in going E40 over E30... If you were big turbo, then yes. But, the stock turbo just can't make much more power...unless you want to run nitrous. On top of all of this trying to push E40 on a completely stock fuel system for more power is just unnecessary. Because of it's low energy content, the more E85 you run, the more fuel you need to put into the engine to burn...around E45-50, you're maxing out the stock fuel system for an additional 5whp/10wtq. You don't need anything more than E30 on an otherwise stock car.

DvC

So ... could running E40 net the same gains as 100 oct gas- for less the cost? The 100 oct here is $7.49/gal, that's almost $100 a tank [thumbdown] . I'm not sure what the average whp increase over e30 that e40 would produce. At cobb- Mat Farrah made 240whp on the 100 oct

Matt Farah thought he made 240 but something tells me cobbs dyno was being very generous that day. All of his other dynos through them were high too

Matt Farah won't stop haunting us... His base dyno was at 190whp, which is irregular anyway. Regardless, that's a 50whp gain. Most FiSTs will base dyno around 175whp... Assuming you make the same gains, 225whp. You won't see a huge gain in going E40 over E30... If you were big turbo, then yes. But, the stock turbo just can't make much more power...unless you want to run nitrous. On top of all of this trying to push E40 on a completely stock fuel system for more power is just unnecessary. Because of it's low energy content, the more E85 you run, the more fuel you need to put into the engine to burn...around E45-50, you're maxing out the stock fuel system for an additional 5whp/10wtq. You don't need anything more than E30 on an otherwise stock car.
I think his numbers are always so high because he dynos in third gear. If he would do runs in 4th with as close to a 1:1 ratio as possible I'm sure his numbers would be more accurate.

OP
B
Thread Starter #9
Excellent explanation Hijinx@DHM! I now see that 100 oct is really too much $$$ to play and that E30 is really the best option.

Ethanol is the cheaper route by far. If you're willing to run race gas and pay that premium, may as well just save up for a hybrid and make much more on just pump gas. Also the dyno that farrah used seemed a little forgiving with those numbers, they are more to be used as a reference from one stage to the next. Once you get that AP with the new tune that car is really gonna wake up and put a big smile on your face. [driving]