Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

LOUD squeaking when cold outside

Hey guys,

I have noticed when the weather is cold (<50 degrees) I am getting a very loud rubbery squeaking sound whenever I get on and off the gas when I first leave for work on cold mornings. It usually goes away the by the time I arrive at work 40 minutes later. The colder the weather the worse it gets. Today was very cold (20-30 degrees) and I heard the same sounds even when going over bumps, but not as loud as when I get on and off the gas pedal.

Is it a motor mount or maybe suspension bushing? My car is a stock 2015 w/ 14k miles.

Thanks

Sounds like noisy bushings somewhere - engine mounts, maybe? If you are still in warranty,get it to the dealer while it still cold enough that it still makes the noise - I'd bet a tidy sum that it goes away in warm weather. Typically things like suspension arm bushings do this when they are worn, but not at the sort of mileage that you have. On the other hand, I've cured some of these squeaks with a shot of washing up liquid.

OP
Cerberus
Thread Starter #3
Was trying to avoid the dealer but makes sense to let them look at it before it warms up.

Are bushings and motor mounts a warranty item?

I get this as well. I'm 90% sure it is the RMM. I would recommend just getting some polyurethane lube and crawling underneath to give it a good coating.

It is super annoying though.

sounds like the passenger side upper motor mount under the coolant jug. mine is at 54k and it does the same thing when its cold. if you plan on getting a new mount ( if that's whats wrong ) go to Turbo Tech Racing and get a upgraded mount for 210 after shipping is all said and done. I just ordered mine last night .

OP
Cerberus
Thread Starter #7
I'm thinking it might be the RMM too but not sure. It occurs whenever I get on and off the gas shifting the engine back and forth even the slightest.

When I hear it very subtly going over big bumps when very cold is the engine still rocking a little to move the RMM if no throttle is applied?

Might not be a bad idea to try some lube on the RMM.

I'm thinking it might be the RMM too but not sure. It occurs whenever I get on and off the gas shifting the engine back and forth even the slightest.

When I hear it very subtly going over big bumps when very cold is the engine still rocking a little to move the RMM if no throttle is applied?

Might not be a bad idea to try some lube on the RMM.
You ever figure this out? I've got the same issue.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Does it make a noise when you turn the steering wheel from side to side at very low speed or stopped?

Dave

OP
Cerberus
Thread Starter #10
You ever figure this out? I've got the same issue.
Does it make a noise when you turn the steering wheel from side to side at very low speed or stopped?

Dave

No, never found the problem since the temps started warming up. However, it has gotten a lot cooler again and now the creaking sound is back again. It does it when I drive in straight line or wheels turning.

Need to take it to the dealer to diagnose. Also need them to repair the hvac blend door actuator. However, now that it’s colder the knocking starts much later in my drive. Hopefully it happens when they drive my car. LOL.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
As possible method of diagnosis, one by one, you can spray silicon lubricant on a motor mount between drives to see whether the noise changes or vanishes. The spray can should help reduce any issues with access.

OP
Cerberus
Thread Starter #12
As possible method of diagnosis, one by one, you can spray silicon lubricant on a motor mount between drives to see whether the noise changes or vanishes. The spray can should help reduce any issues with access.
Thanks for the tip! I’m guessing it’s a motor mount. It happens when cold outside and the car has been sitting. It creaks each time I quickly depress the throttle and let off. It occurs when the motor is shifting back and forth from throttle application.