Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Sync 3 Lockup with Black Screen and unresponsive

Noghri23T

Vehicle : 2016 Fiesta St, Sony Stereo with navigation. 320 miles on car as of 3/16/17
Modification : 1) updated vehicle from sync 1.0 to 2.2 Via computer download to usb and usb install through original usb port in center console (took 20 minutes fyi)
2) installed the lincoln usb hub number gj7z 19a387 b in center consol in order to access apple car play (16 did not have car play with original usb)
symptom : first occasion: about a week ago i started the car up and the ford emblem did not come up on the display it just stayed black. it was a cold morning ~ 28 deg f. The radio was on and i could turn the volume up and down, but none of the buttons worked. I could not turn the radio off, switch station, or any other functions. Steering wheel controls were also unresponsive. Sync (lady's voice) button would not activate sync either. drove the car to work and parked it. about an hour or two later went back to the car and cranked it and it was normal like nothing ever was wrong.
Second occasion : same symptoms, 28 degree morning drove 10 minutes to work, one hour later went to car, opened door and pushed ignition button, working fine, no issues.

Does anyone have any idea how to stop this? Has anyone else had these symptoms? is there a way to initiate a hard reset without using the touch screen ( by holding a combination of buttons?? )? Its making me a little crazy, and fear of having voided warrantee is preventing me from asking dealer.

I've had the same issues when the ambient temp is below ~35 degrees. I took mine to my Ford dealership but they couldn't replicate the problem so they couldn't warranty it. However, my brother works in the tech center for Ford in Dearborn and says he get these issues all the time. Ford knows about the issue and if you get your Ford dealership to replicate it they should either pull the screen and fix the connection issue or replace the screen altogether. Should be under GSB G0000095 (which my brother wrote himself).

OP
N

Noghri23T

Thread Starter #3
I've had the same issues when the ambient temp is below ~35 degrees. I took mine to my Ford dealership but they couldn't replicate the problem so they couldn't warranty it. However, my brother works in the tech center for Ford in Dearborn and says he get these issues all the time. Ford knows about the issue and if you get your Ford dealership to replicate it they should either pull the screen and fix the connection issue or replace the screen altogether. Should be under GSB G0000095 (which my brother wrote himself).
thats great to know, thank you very much for the reply. If i get resolved i will post what happened.

Mine does the same thing. It's only happened twice throughout all of winter though, and I leave my car parked outside in the cold. Both times it was below freezing. Once the car warmed up, I just shut it off and restarted to fix the glitch.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Most settings remain persistent through the updates. It may be possible that some of these persistent settings are contributing to or causing the issue.

In the menus, there's an option that restores all settings to their factory defaults. Try this (when it's working of course) and see whether this has any impact on further occurrences.

Some users note that system updates fail until such a reset is done.