Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ethanol Sensor Install

Erbarry

U.S. Marine Veteran
So Ill be doing an E30 tune soon and decided to install an ethanol gauge into the FiST. I found a write up installing a sensor in the engine bay but my 16s fuel line was different then what was showed. Looks like the 16s fuel line has a tee in it with a sensor plugged into it so I decided to go off the fuel pump (located under rear seat). Its not the nicest setup but it works, maybe later I might look for a better solution but there isnt much room on the fuel pump side and I want to be able to return to stock if need be. Once you have made your little sensor rig remove the rear seat (slightly pull up on the back of the seat and then undo 2 clips on the front) relieve the fuel line of fuel by removing the fuel pump relay (I also disconnected the fuel pump connector) and running the car until it stalls, took a few minutes for mine to actually stall. Put a rag under the fuel pumps line, undo the lock, wrap the rag around the line and slowly pull out. If there is still a lot of fuel in the line it will begin to spray so push it back on, if you properly relieved the fuel from the line it will only drip out a bit. Once you have everything connected reinstall the fuel pump relay/connector, start the car and check for leaks. If you have no leaks drive the car around and then recheck for leaks.

Parts used:
Dorman 800-091
Dorman 800-123
5/16 Barb to 5/16 Male QD
5/16 30R9 Fuel Hose (Any auto part store)
5/16 Fuel Injection Clamps (Any auto part store)
GM Ethanol Sensor 13577429 (Included with gauge)
Innovate MTX Ethanol Gauge

6ABEED59-63E3-4891-A8DF-640FDDF73B87.JPG

095FB0CD-A3E0-42FD-9065-67BB12F08E8A.JPG

06502875-EFEC-4E66-AFF4-E7DAED011B17.JPG

Last edited:

brbauer2

Nice write-up and clean install.

Full parts list is just the connectors? What sensor/gauge?

Sent from my OnePlus 3

OP
E

Erbarry

U.S. Marine Veteran
Thread Starter #3
Nice write-up and clean install.

Full parts list is just the connectors? What sensor/gauge?

Sent from my OnePlus 3
Added the gauge used. It's an Innovate MTX ethanol gauge.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Another great idea by Ford....i wish a lot of others would do this also. Thanks for the info.....where did you get the ethanol gauge also? How precise is the reading?

OP
E

Erbarry

U.S. Marine Veteran
Thread Starter #7
Added location of fuel pump.
Another great idea by Ford....i wish a lot of others would do this also. Thanks for the info.....where did you get the ethanol gauge also? How precise is the reading?
I can't remember where I got mine since it's been awhile, I stole it out of my Evo but you can find it on Amazon, I'll link it. As far as being precise I ran full E85 on my Evo and it read around E10 on just 91 and E80 on a full tank which others here in SoCal have verified. It's to the tenth decimal so it actually jumps around a bit.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So Ill be doing an E30 tune soon and decided to install an ethanol gauge into the FiST. I found a write up installing a sensor in the engine bay but my 16s fuel line was different then what was showed. Looks like the 16s fuel line has a tee in it with a sensor plugged into it so I decided to go off the fuel pump (located under rear seat). Its not the nicest setup but it works, maybe later I might look for a better solution but there isnt much room on the fuel pump side and I want to be able to return to stock if need be. Once you have made your little sensor rig remove the rear seat (slightly pull up on the back of the seat and then undo 2 clips on the front) relieve the fuel line of fuel by removing the fuel pump relay (I also disconnected the fuel pump connector) and running the car until it stalls, took a few minutes for mine to actually stall. Put a rag under the fuel pumps line, undo the lock, wrap the rag around the line and slowly pull out. If there is still a lot of fuel in the line it will begin to spray so push it back on, if you properly relieved the fuel from the line it will only drip out a bit. Once you have everything connected reinstall the fuel pump relay/connector, start the car and check for leaks. If you have no leaks drive the car around and then recheck for leaks.

Parts used:
Dorman 800-091
Dorman 800-123
5/16 Barb to 5/16 Male QD
5/16 30R9 Fuel Hose (Any auto part store)
5/16 Fuel Injection Clamps (Any auto part store)
GM Ethanol Sensor 13577429 (Included with gauge)
Innovate MTX Ethanol Gauge

View attachment 13678

View attachment 13679

View attachment 13680
How did the tuning go by the way....i almost forgot about this thread...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Slightly [offtopic] but, can we change out our factory fuel pump from the top hatch area, or does that still require dropping the whole tank assembly down from under the car? [dunno]

OP
E

Erbarry

U.S. Marine Veteran
Thread Starter #12
I used an add a fuse on the cabin fuse box and took both power and dimming wire to it and just placed the ground wire on the grounding bolts anywhere in the car. I believe the pump can be changed from in the cabin, if you look closely at the pump pic you twist the black ring around it to release it. And for my tune I went with the Stratified E30 OTS and the car pulls strong feels like a different car compared to stock.

[MENTION=5924]Erbarry[/MENTION] How is this holding up? Anything you change or is it still holding strong?

Thanks!

OP
E

Erbarry

U.S. Marine Veteran
Thread Starter #16
[MENTION=5924]Erbarry[/MENTION] How is this holding up? Anything you change or is it still holding strong?

Thanks!
Everything is still the same and running great.

Everything is still the same and running great.
Glad to hear, I have heard on other forums that using just barbs and hose fi hose clamps can sometimes cause trouble. Looks like I'll be doing some shopping soon to go with my hybrid turbo I purchased. Last thing I want to do is sit at a gas station filling up a cup to test the ethanol. haha

Thanks for the great write up.

Hey, does the wire that hooks up to the sensor reach all the way to the air vent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E

Erbarry

U.S. Marine Veteran
Thread Starter #19
Hey, does the wire that hooks up to the sensor reach all the way to the air vent?

Sent from my iPhone
It barley reached. Popped off all the trim along side the left doors and routed with the rest of the wire that’s there.

It barley reached. Popped off all the trim along side the left doors and routed with the rest of the wire that’s there.
Oh ok so it does reach all the way to that vent. How did you wire the whole gauge up? What did you tap into to put the yellow and brown wires in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk