Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Another BBK contender?

http://forums.racingbrake.com/showthread.php?t=1566

Decided to reach out to Racing Brakes and see if they could make an option for us as far as 2-piece rotors and/or BBK...

I linked the forum post. The Miata kit they posted is designed for 17's, but looking on their website a little, they offer a 280mm option for the MX-5's as well, and I think this may work better for those of us trying to save some weight and use a smaller wheel.

Opinions? Thoughts? Interest?

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Frankly, I think that we've got enough BBK options, especially since the OEM brakes seems to do pretty well once they're properly cooled. Maybe a OEM size, aluminum hat replacement rotor to save a little weight would be nice.

Brura22

2,200?.... I'd run Wilwoods all day instead

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account

The Wilwood BBK is in the "good-enough" category. I like it for my FiST, but I only A/C and HPDE my car. I wouldn't use them in a race car. RB has a pretty good reputation for building race-ready brakes.

Their 2-piece Miata NA/NB rear rotors are about $500. I think that I'm leaning towards spending about $350 and getter a larger rotor and lighter caliper with the Wilwood rear BBK. There sure is a different pricing strategy with Wilwood's front and rear BBK kits - both are $895-ish and you get 6-pot calipers and a vented rotor for the front and a 1-pot, non vented rear. :(

OP
A
Thread Starter #5

That setup includes the rear BBK setup as well, so it's actually really good value for money spent.

For a serious track junkie, wilwoods flex too much. and their quality control is crap imo.

And fwiw, I'm just getting opinions and ideas. I'm probably going to get a set of oe sized 2-piece rotors for the time being to stay H-Street legal. And when the bug bites, go up to an equal sized 4-pot kit from them. Stoptechs are too expensive for their setup, and a 6-pot is overkill for these cars. I'd rock the Mountune setup if i could find a vendor to get a setup(ap calipers and 2-piece rotors).

Also, there's the other mx-5 kit thats $1400, and that one is about the same diameter as our stock setup, but with a 4-pot caliper, 2-piece rotors, and about the same thickness of rotor(i.e. much better cooling). This is the one we should be excited about.
https://www.racingbrake.com/RB-Front-4-POT-Big-Brake-Kit-for-Mazda-Miata-NA-NB-p/2005-k.htm

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
At this point, given all of the problems many have had with everything else, I will save up for a complete ap Racing kit, or just stick with the factory setup and; cooling/ducting, better pads, and top shelf fluid. [wink]

http://forums.racingbrake.com/showthread.php?t=1566

Decided to reach out to Racing Brakes and see if they could make an option for us as far as 2-piece rotors and/or BBK...

I linked the forum post. The Miata kit they posted is designed for 17's, but looking on their website a little, they offer a 280mm option for the MX-5's as well, and I think this may work better for those of us trying to save some weight and use a smaller wheel.

Opinions? Thoughts? Interest?
I'm in, better quality than wilwoods, better pricing than brembo and apparently better chance of R&D than StopTech....Sounds like a good compromise in the right directions.

If they can be fit inside the stock wheels at least then I would be pretty excited.

I have looked at those, but have not found anyone who has used them so far. It would be nice to know if the actually fit our cars and can be stuffed under a 16" rim.
Yea, considering price seems reasonable. I don't get why the smaller kit is more money, or if the larger kit is 4 or 6 pot. AP racing makes awesome stuff, especially if you do a lot of tracking.

Some odd things going on that need to be clarified but it would be a shame if this kit works awesome and keeps getting overlooked. I do see a note for the smaller kit that hub spacers will be needed, no note on wheel sizes though. Only way to be sure would be to contact Puma or AP, Essex doesn't list anything for the Fiesta on their site so that may say something in itself.

OP
A
Thread Starter #11
If anyone has been following up on the original thread I linked on the RB forums, they keep suggesting all the known kits for our chassis, instead of actually listening to what I posted in that we need a smaller OD kit with a quality caliper and rotor setup. I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and email them about modifying one of their early miata kits for 4x108 and seeing what they can do for an adapter bracket....