Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

AutoX Tire Help

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
the federals have some of the worst characteristics of a street tire for autox
Worse than 340+ tread wear, pedestrian, 40K+ mile, pure street tires even??
Also, in what areas are they this horrid, i.e.; turn-in response, low limit/no warning breakaway, 'greasiness' from overheating too quickly, etc.)?

(I am SERIOUSLY asking, and NOT being snide/sarcastic, as I DO trust your cone-dodging expertise! [wink])

The RS-RR seem like an ideal choice for autocrossing. My question do you think you could use them as a daily driver in south Florida? Any feedback in wet conditions?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The RS-RR seem like an ideal choice for autocrossing. My question do you think you could use them as a daily driver in south Florida? Any feedback in wet conditions?
I'd also like to know just how bad they are in standing water on the highways, as I also plan on using them for late spring/summer/early fall daily driving, and it is not exactly the bone dry southwest where I live during the summer (albeit not the almost daily passing rain you could be seeing).

I wrote Federal to ask about tread wear and this was the reply:

Thanks for your email regarding to 595RSRR UTQG question.

Yes, 595RSRR UTQG has changed to 200 officially.

best regards,

From what I can tell Federal has switched the tread wear rating to 200 in order to sell them to autocrossers in the US. It's said that Bridgestone did the same thing with the re-71 which is probably also more like a 140.

I'm just going to see what happens at my first scca AutoX this weekend. They are a little looser in my region (for HS they told me to put my stock intake back but Cobb RMM is okay...) so I don't think it's gonna be a huge deal. But something tells me it will be okay since Federal has 200 on the tire as well as the sticker that was on the tire. Everyone seems to think the treadwear ratings are BS, seems like they need a different metric.
Will be curious to hear your thoughts after your event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, in what areas are they this horrid, i.e.; turn-in response, low limit/no warning breakaway, 'greasiness' from overheating too quickly, etc.)?

(I am SERIOUSLY asking, and NOT being snide/sarcastic, as I DO trust your cone-dodging expertise! [wink])
I'd also like to know just how bad they are in standing water on the highways, as I also plan on using them for late spring/summer/early fall daily driving, and it is not exactly the bone dry southwest where I live during the summer (albeit not the almost daily passing rain you could be seeing).
Horribly noisy for a street tire on the skreet. Decent(but not mind bending grip) for something that should probably have a 300-340TW rating. Wet grip I can't speak to, as the only runs and driving I did on these was in the dry, but when my thoughts were echo'd by others in the serious autox community for street tires, I knew to dump them like a bad habit.

For street driving and some "spirited" driving, going with something that's a good all-arounder is more of your droid. Something along the lines of a Michelin PSS, or the new Continental ExtremeContact Sport...

Unless you're seriously looking for every ounce of performance(i.e. autox, Time Trials, or the sort), the https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=MP
is where you need to be. If performance is everything and you can trade off colder performance and wet grip, then https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=EP&
is your droids...

for the record, there are some seriously good 340tw tires, and most I wouldn't consider "pedestrian"
Horribly noisy for a street tire on the skreet. Decent(but not mind bending grip) for something that should probably have a 300-340TW rating. Wet grip I can't speak to, as the only runs and driving I did on these was in the dry, but when my thoughts were echo'd by others in the serious autox community for street tires, I knew to dump them like a bad habit.

For street driving and some "spirited" driving, going with something that's a good all-arounder is more of your droid. Something along the lines of a Michelin PSS, or the new Continental ExtremeContact Sport...

Unless you're seriously looking for every ounce of performance(i.e. autox, Time Trials, or the sort), the https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=MP
is where you need to be. If performance is everything and you can trade off colder performance and wet grip, then https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=EP&
is your droids...

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
for the record, there are some seriously good 340tw tires, and most I wouldn't consider "pedestrian"

is your droids...
I REALLY do not want to use a 215/45-17 (fear of rubbing, and NOT wanting to cut/grind/whatever, even at factory height, let alone once lowered, even a moderate amount), and I REFUSE to put even a 'wide' 205/45-17 on an 8" wide wheel, so the YES excellent, PSSes are out of the question (IF they were offered in a 215/40-17, I'd have them sitting waiting to go on my wheels when they arrive, DESPITE their prohibitive co$t!).

So, if otherwise I am set on a 200 tread wear tire (whether I actually do "need them" or not), and the 595 RSRRs/RSRs are really the much less than ideal product you paint them to be (a 'get what you pay for' scenario??), should I go broke paying more than twice as much for the Star Specs, or since they are certainly (no longer) not even close to the 'latest and greatest go-to' autocross 200 tread wear donuts out there, are they therefore no better than the RSRRs/RSRs (again, for >TWICE the price, and for mostly SUMMER/WARM ambients street use)? [dunno]

I would consider the 215/40-17 Yoko AD08 Rs, but they cost even more than the PSSes AND Star Specs, and would probably wear even much quicker yet than the RE71Rs do for street use. [:(]

I wonder just how "horrid" (and noisy) the 240 tread wear rated, VERY inexpensive, 595 Evos are for a street only tire?

I REALLY do not want to use a 215/45-17 (fear of rubbing, and NOT wanting to cut/grind/whatever, even at factory height, let alone once lowered, even a moderate amount), and I REFUSE to put even a 'wide' 205/45-17 on an 8" wide wheel, so the YES excellent, PSSes are out of the question (IF they were offered in a 215/40-17, I'd have them sitting waiting to go on my wheels when they arrive, DESPITE their prohibitive co$t!).

So, if otherwise I am set on a 200 tread wear tire (whether I actually do "need them" or not), and the 595 RSRRs/RSRs are really the much less than ideal product you paint them to be (a 'get what you pay for' scenario??), should I go broke paying more than twice as much for the Star Specs, or since they are certainly (no longer) not even close to the 'latest and greatest go-to' autocross 200 tread wear donuts out there, are they therefore no better than the RSRRs/RSRs (again, for >TWICE the price, and for mostly SUMMER/WARM ambients street use)? [dunno]

I would consider the 215/40-17 Yoko AD08 Rs, but they cost even more than the PSSes AND Star Specs, and would probably wear even much quicker yet than the RE71Rs do for street use. [:(]

I wonder just how "horrid" (and noisy) the 240 tread wear rated, VERY inexpensive, 595 Evos are for a street only tire?
I run the 215/45's autocross, no rubbing at stock height under heavy load, so I wouldn't worry about anything aside from speedo accuracy there.

If you refuse to run a taller tire because of the phase of the moon, or whatever else you can try to come up with, the advans would be the best of the 215/40's. I've run the ad07, ar08, and ad08r in the past. great tire with a ton of great streetability. just make sure to keep on top of the rotations and flip the tires at about 2/3 of their life, and again with about 1/3 left on them to avoid noise. If you're mostly going to street drive the tires, stay away from the feds and the dunlops, as they are HORRIBLY noisy at freeway speeds(their tread pattern and shoulders lend to being this way). It would be an understatement to say it sounds like you bolted 4 bad wheel bearings on the car when you run them on the street.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Just how 'pedestrian' is the Yoko S.Drive, since that seems to be one of the only other 300 tread wear summer 'street' tires left in 215/40-17 as well?
(It appears that way to me ['pedestrian'], WHY I have avoided it like the plague.)

^^^Just how 'pedestrian' is the Yoko S.Drive, since that seems to be one of the only other 300 tread wear summer 'street' tires left in 215/40-17 as well?
(It appears that way to me ['pedestrian'], WHY I have avoided it like the plague.)
S-Drives are actually a really good tire, but getting a little old in design and tech. The Pirelli PZero Nero GT is another dark horse that a lot of people forget about. Quality tire with good road manners and it wears well for a tire that "looks" normal. Also, it actually grips pretty well also.

Also, don't be scared to go with a 205/45-17, as some of them measure wider than their "given" profiles.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
205/45/17 MPSS a good choice?
It's certainly not one of the best autocross tires, but, it IS one of the best overall, all-around street tires EVER! [thumb]

Some have even found it to be a decent, albeit not 'ideal' casual/occasional track day tire for those who do not want to, or CANNOT have/store and change between specific track day, and daily driver street wheels/tires. ;)

Thanks for the information. I was just concerned about going up to 45 aspect ratio. Costco made it sound like the car would run and be far too dangerous. I have plenty to room visually with the stock rims and suspension.

Bridgestone potenza re series. 205/50/15. Love them. Lot of grip.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Did you get those works wheels on the left from O'Neil, and WHAT are they going on??

He did not have any in 4 bolt (4x108), correct? [dunno]

I did get them from the from the O'Neil car a few years ago. I was running them on my mk3 focus but when I traded it in I never got rid of the wheels. They used to have my AutoX tires on them.