Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST owner and his girlfriend die from carbon monoxide poisoning from Modified FiST

Exhaust leak "where the exhaust meets the engine"????, through the modded hood vents (to atmosphere), then sucked into the cabin the the cowl????; sounds like the Kennedy Magic Bullet to me!!!!

Zissou

According to the article, there was a "gap" between the exhaust and the engine. So the hood vents were not working, clearly. Might not have secured the header properly, allowing a small gap that could allow CO2 and not much smell to escape. Had they been drinking a little, they would have mistook the initial effects of CO2 poisoning for an alcohol buzz, and by then it is too late. Modern cars, especially in the UK, produce so much less CO2 then the boats of the 70's, but they are also sealed up much better.
Yeah but it's carbon monoxide that's deadly. Not carbon dioxide. CO2 doesn't bind to hemoglobin.

As someone with a self installed downpipe, I'm going to pick up a battery operated CO detector and check my car.

Zissou

while we are on this topic, anyone know where to get a plug for the symposer hose, or can I just rip that hose out.
A little off topic, but in addition to the symposer delete kits you can buy from CFM, Boomba, or Deadhook you can also just buy an expansion plug and plug it up. I did mine for about $3.

The plug is 1" to 1 1/8". Dorman 02600.

My buddy made a video of doing my car. The youtube commentators were quite upset we called the enhanced sounds fake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arguvN0Lp8s&index=2&list=PL8e_ZVomNKjrhG1a8gKdewHYgNZdajzI5

Yeah but it's carbon monoxide that's deadly. Not carbon dioxide. CO2 doesn't bind to hemoglobin.

As someone with a self installed downpipe, I'm going to pick up a battery operated CO detector and check my car.
Oh duh, yes CO not CO2! Thanks for the clarification.

I hate to speak ill of the dead, but this car owner is pretty damn stupid.. or ignorant... which ever is preferred... if he idled his car for that long without considering just opening the windows a bit.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
A little off topic, but in addition to the symposer delete kits you can buy from CFM, Boomba, or Deadhook you can also just buy an expansion plug and plug it up. I did mine for about $3.

The plug is 1" to 1 1/8". Dorman 02600.

My buddy made a video of doing my car. The youtube commentators were quite upset we called the enhanced sounds fake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arguvN0Lp8s&index=2&list=PL8e_ZVomNKjrhG1a8gKdewHYgNZdajzI5
I took his question to imply the tube left from the symposer unit into the firewall, why I said I used a vacuum plug for that.

I also did the expansion plug option since I did not even want that hose attached to the cold side pipe, now I am looking for something to cover/seal that and part of the nipple it goes into (to keep the bolt/treads/top washer from rusting).