Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST owner and his girlfriend die from carbon monoxide poisoning from Modified FiST

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thoughts on this? Sounds like a really sad story if the owner was a member on here. Anyone know more about this?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4334892/Couple-died-fumes-caused-car-modification.html

DailyMail said:
A young couple died from carbon monoxide poisoning after breathing in exhaust fumes in a car which had been modified, an inquest heard.

Tom Putt, 20 and Nikki Willis, 23, were found dead in a ?18,000 Ford Fiesta ST last December outside her home in Chelmsford, Essex.

An inquest heard that car-fanatic Tom, an engineering apprentice, had carried out a series of alterations to the vehicle in a bid to improve its performance.

He had removed the catalytic converter from the exhaust and cut vents into the bonnet of his car.

grnmachine02

I feel like there is some important information missing from this story. Granted, it's the Daily Mail, so who knows how much of this story is accurate.

Edit:// I also don't understand how you can just sit there huffing fumes for long enough for it to kill you, if you weren't doing it on purpose. Having owned a car with a terrible exhaust leak, the smell wouldn't allow me to sit in it idling for more than a few minutes. Either way, sad situation for all involved.

Seems very odd. I can see a suicide but accidental death is very unusual in this case.

did he take off the symposer tube off the intercooler piping and hook it straight to his downpipe? that's the only way I could see this. people have been running catless for years.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
did he take off the symposer tube off the intercooler piping and hook it straight to his downpipe? that's the only way I could see this. people have been running catless for years.
That, or it would have to be in a small, closed, SEALED garage, with the windows down, and idling for hours (or in other words, a double suicide).

Again, yes, Daily Mail, so who knows (maybe they left out the part about the flexible hose from the exhaust tip to the closed window(s)? [dunno]).

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
If could've been a few things.

1) He had an open downpipe

2) He installed a catless downpipe but didn't seal it properly where it connects to the turbo, allowing fresh exhaust gas to pump into the cabin

3) One of the above and he was parked in an enclosed area while having the car running

Let's break it down:

1. "Friends" = male and female of similar age
2. Timing 4:30AM to 10:30AM = shenanigans, sleeping etc...
3. Weather = cold = running car
4. Exhaust leak

Young lovers doing whatever in their warm car in the middle of the night + exhaust leak = death.

I am concerned myself though about the cabin air intake. But overall I would say just some bad decisions and a coincidental exhaust leak.

According to the article, there was a "gap" between the exhaust and the engine. So the hood vents were not working, clearly. Might not have secured the header properly, allowing a small gap that could allow CO2 and not much smell to escape. Had they been drinking a little, they would have mistook the initial effects of CO2 poisoning for an alcohol buzz, and by then it is too late. Modern cars, especially in the UK, produce so much less CO2 then the boats of the 70's, but they are also sealed up much better.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Let's break it down:

1. "Friends" = male and female of similar age
2. Timing 4:30AM to 10:30AM = shenanigans, sleeping etc...
3. Weather = cold = running car
4. Exhaust leak

Young lovers doing whatever in their warm car in the middle of the night + exhaust leak = death.

I am concerned myself though about the cabin air intake. But overall I would say just some bad decisions and a coincidental exhaust leak.
^^^THIS could very well be the best explanation, given how CO slowly takes effect on you (especially with a slow leakage into the cabin), making you think you are just 'over-tired', and then have no panic as you are passing out from it's effects, (as you then have VERY diminished cognitive capacities), at which point you are a goner. [:(]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
while we are on this topic, anyone know where to get a plug for the symposer hose, or can I just rip that hose out.
I just put one of those large Dorman vacuum caps in mine (3/4" I think), since I might want to use it in the future for gauge lines/wires (why I did not rip the whole corrugated tube out).

I'm the opposite of a climate change protestor. But removing the cat is a) stupid, b) stinks, and c) brings almost no benefit when compared with a decent hi-flow cat.