Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Dreaded trans whine

My trans is whining and it's driving me crazy! To the point I don't even wanna drive the car anymore, how long have you guys been driving with the whine? Any catostrophic problems? Ford says well we don't have another ST to drive so we can't compare, then they say well we don't do loaner cars to, FMl

Ive heard of it being a pilot bearing failure. Your should tell your dealer to look at it, especially if its under warranty. They shouldn't need another car to campare it to.

OP
F
Thread Starter #3
Yea it's under warranty, I should wait to install my down pipe and FMIC I'm sure before I bring it in haha, sounds bad, the higher speed the more whine

Yea definitely wait to install those parts lol. Dont wanna give them any reason to try and dispute anything. Oh and to correct my 1st post, i meant to say input shaft bearing, not pilot bearing, my mind is going slowly lol.

OP
F
Thread Starter #5
Yea I was like wait a second haha, yea I'm gonna have to figure something out it's driving me crazy

zanethan

I've heard lots of different opinions on the tranny whine. Should there be no whine at all or is whine in 5 and 6 normal? Mine whines in 5 and 6 but no other gears and I can't get a solid answer on if that's normal and I would like to try and avoid the dealership if possible.

OP
F
Thread Starter #7
Mine is at dealer now no call back yet, whines 2-6 lol loud have to keep radio on to avoid going nuts

i really think that the tranny whine is normal for the fiesta.. if every car has it right off the bat is it a defect? i sort of like how it sounds lol. also if you think about it, sequential gearboxes whine like crazy. that doesn't mean they're broken.
edit: couldn't it just be the diff?

My car has a slight "oooooooooooo" at a very specific load/rpm range, but then again it's hard for me to say that this isnt normal since its very subtle and I have a RMM (more noise than usual). I don't recall hearing anything before my RMM so.....

I hear it around 1500-2500 rpm (iirc, havent driven the car in the winter...)
light throttle, less noticeable on heavy throttle.

my friends and wife thinks I am crazy since they dont hear it.

yay.

might be, but it sounds pretty mechanical, almost like a gear whine. Idk which letter is better to represent the noise, its a higher pitch "o" lol

I love gear whine :) On that note I don't have any on my FiST. On my FoST I would have some but that's when I changed all the mounts and it was noticeable but slight.

You shouldn't have noise to the point you can hear it over the radio, this isn't a dog box. A little is anticipated on any manual but you have to look for it.

If it is truly gear whine then the noise should change in neutral while down shifting into different gears, this will help isolate it from engine noise or interference which can resemble whine at times. Go 30 mph in 3rd while coming to a stop, clutch in while slowing down then go to 2nd and 1st while the clutch is still engaged and the noise should ramp up with each gear.

zanethan

Mines more only when coasting in 5 or 6. It's not present when accelerating but if you lift and allow it to coast there will be a slight whine. You can hear it with the radio on but I tend to have the radio on low volumes. It hasn't really gotten any worse in 4000 miles so I guess I'll keep an hear on it for a while more before taking it into a dealer.

*EDIT*
I mis-remembered it only makes noise when lightly accelerating in 5 and 6.

Last edited: