Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

axle replacement how to??

Hey guys, a while back my passenger side motor mount broke(due to serious wheel hop incident) and when the engine shifted back it made contact with the axle and shredded the cv boot. I replaced the motor mount just fine but I need to get my axle fixed soon. I was unable to find a "how to"[wrenchin] for it as I'm trying to judge how hard this would be to do myself. I try to do most things on my own but if its super tricky or a major pita, maybe I'll just let a shop do it. Thanks for any info you guys can throw my way.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
It's really straight-forward.

Parts:
You need a new axle nut. No questions about it.

Tools:
Jack/stands (or lift, obv)
32mm axle socket
Breaker Bar or Impact Wrench (battery powered exists, they're awesome)
13mm socket
17mm socket or wrench
19mm socket or wrench
Heavy Mallet (not a hammer)
A friend
Some elbow grease
Something to prop things up with

1. Get the car in the air and wheel off.

2. If you have a breaker bar, you'll need a buddy to hold the brake. Use the 32mm axle socket and breaker bar to loosen the axle nut or;
Use the impact wrench.

3. Using the 17mm and 19mm tools remove the strut bolts/nuts. You'll need something to prop up the hub pretty soon.

4. Using the 13mm remove the two axle bracket bolts located on the block (you'll know it when you see it).

5. This is the fun part... Your goal is to separate the hub from the axle (duh). Start malleting away... This will be the longest part of the job, so progress will be slow. Be sure not to pull on the brake and ABS lines too much. Don't forget to prop up the hub as you can. (you can probably re-install the strut once you've got the axle out)

6. Now for more fun... Wiggle it out of there. Pull out the transmission side first and wiggle her out.

7. Wiggle the new one in, be careful not to pull the CV joints apart. Just slide that mama right into the transmission... You can't mess it up.

8. Get the hub end ready. Slide it in there; you only need to get it in as far enough to get the new axle nut fully threaded.

9. Breaker bar/impact wrench it in to place.

10. Put all the other shit back that you took off.

I can't remember what you're supposed to torque it to. It's somewhere around here, though.