Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

When to Replace Shocks?

This is my first experience with a little performance car. The factory ride is a bit rough with our roads around here to begin with, so I'm not sure how to tell if the shocks are working or not. How will I know when it's time to replace the shocks?

KKaWing

When the car starts bouncing up and down like a wave and doesn't stop even when the road is smooth. In other words the spring keeps going boing boing boing with no end in sight.

OP
Spaceman_Spiff
Thread Starter #3
Ok, so bumpiness/smoothness of the ride has nothing to do with, it's how long it bounces after the bump. Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up.

Sent from my Spaceship

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Two videos (begining) to help check things. Another way is push down on the car near the wheel see if you can make is bounce or does it want to stop right away.

[video=youtube;FOk0tkGEWmA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOk0tkGEWmA[/video]

[video=youtube;cI3EDqzOghc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI3EDqzOghc[/video]

If the shocks are bad you can literally dribble the vehicle like a basket ball lol. Rule of thumb is generally to push down let off and the car should settle within 2-3 bounces.

There are many that state the ride is a bit firm in stock form. Plenty of threads covering this topic but seems like the best solution with out breaking the bank would be MeisterR coilovers that improve on the factory harshness but can still be ramped up for those smooth roads.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
If the shocks are bad you can literally dribble the vehicle like a basket ball lol. Rule of thumb is generally to push down let off and the car should settle within 2-3 bounces.

There are many that state the ride is a bit firm in stock form. Plenty of threads covering this topic but seems like the best solution with out breaking the bank would be MeisterR coilovers that improve on the factory harshness but can still be ramped up for those smooth roads.
Also Bisltein B8's with Mountune springs are very cost effective.