Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Overheated

What about going w/a heavier weight oil like 5W-30 vs. 5W-20, when it comes to the problem of overheating?

The install isn't too bad, just tedious. I soloed it with basic hand tools in like 4 hours. If you need help, I only live about 40 minutes south of Dallas. It wouldn't take long to install. It's soooooo worth it in a hot climate like ours. Before, I'd ping 245 degrees just driving around town at low speeds or sitting in traffic. Now I sit at 190-195 no matter what I'm doing. Definitely a must-have mod on the FiST if you live in a hot climate like ours.
You are very kind! I appreciate the invite and may take you up on it. I'm going to have a couple of shops quote me and if they acting stupid I'm all over it!!!

[:)]

What about going w/a heavier weight oil like 5W-30 vs. 5W-20, when it comes to the problem of overheating?
I myself experienced my first overheating issues with the car this weekend, after changing the oil yesterday from 5W-20 to 5W-30. Ford sold me the oil directly..

Anyways, I'll be changing back to 5W-20 ASAP

felopr

I run a mix of 60 water / 40 original concentrate orange coolant on my car with a mountune, car never reaches 195f coolant or 210 oil on my 90-100f weather

Last edited:
I myself experienced my first overheating issues with the car this weekend, after changing the oil yesterday from 5W-20 to 5W-30. Ford sold me the oil directly..

There's no reason why your vehicle should over heat due to a slightly heavier weight oil. 5W-30 isn't that much more heavier than 5W-20. It has to be due to something else.

The reasoning for going to 0W-20 or 5W-20 now-a-days for cars and trucks is for the better US fuel mileage ratings. I've read that they are planning for even lower weight oils like 0W-10 and 5W-10. Of course there will be other problems being created in doing so, especially w/direct injection engines.

I've been running 5w-30 Full Synthetic (Amsoil) for a long time now, w/o a single issue. Of course the local temperatures run around +100F here where I live during the summer months, so I feel a lot more comfortable w/the heavier weight oil than w/the lower one.

Just recently, I traded in my Fiesta ST for a Focus ST. More room and aftermarket upgrades. Its recommended oil weight is 5W-30.

felopr

There's no reason why your vehicle should over heat due to a slightly heavier weight oil. 5W-30 isn't that much more heavier than 5W-20. It has to be due to something else.

I've been running 5w-30 Full Synthetic (Amsoil) for a long time now, w/o a single issue. Of course the local temperatures run around 100F here where I live, so I feel a lot more comfortable w/the heavier weight oil than w/the lower one.
5w-20 cools down faster than 5w-30, given the same oil pressure, maybe that is why, idk

5w-20 cools down faster than 5w-30, given the same oil pressure, maybe that is why, idk
Interesting! Do you have any links to resources or articles on this? I really want to increase the cooling of my car, but stuck within stock class regulations, my options are limited.

I've really been thinking about an oil with better heat exchange.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club

What was the scenario? Were you driving aggressively? Did it go into limp mode or just full hot? Or just more bars then normal?

felopr

Interesting! Do you have any links to resources or articles on this? I really want to increase the cooling of my car, but stuck within stock class regulations, my options are limited.

I've really been thinking about an oil with better heat exchange.
Dont really quote me on this, i just read it way way back on bitog with no real proving method. Only way to find put using both oils under the same circumstances and check the oil temp

What was the scenario? Were you driving aggressively? Did it go into limp mode or just full hot? Or just more bars then normal?
Yea it was at an autoX, definitely running the car hard. Was my fastest time even though the engine lost power for the last 5 seconds or so. I just felt a loss in power, looked down and saw no lights on. Crossed the line and looked down again, saw the red temp light momentarily, it went away within seconds. The coolant bars were in the middle.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
I think you would've "overheated" even with the other oil. It's freaking hot right now and ANY FiST with the stock radiator is going to overheat at an autox imo. Weird that you lost power and had the temp light but the gauge was not pegged.

None of the other FiSTs running the stock rad had the issue. There is another '17 there. The only difference was me running 5w30 vs 5w20. But, I was definitely riding the redline for seconds at a time in that course..