Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST Winter Tires, Lets hear what you think

PhoenixM3

Isn't that interesting. Thank you for looking. At least it's not just me. How many miles do you have on it since you put on the steelies? In other words... Thinking it will be okay but just looks unsettling.

Anyone else care to take a gander at theirs?
I've got about 1700 miles on mine now.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
[MENTION=2513]rexdriver85[/MENTION] if you don't have center caps get some grease(non water soluble)/antiseize on those axle nuts. that will prevent the rust look.

here is my set up. Pirelli Sottozero III 215/45R17. No clearance issues unless I bottom out the suspension. Great grip and comfy rid. Quiet to.

IMG-20151115-00403.jpg

I haven't read this entire thread, but here's my input. Amber has the General Altimax Arctic for her winter tires, in a 195/55/15 with some cheap aluminum wheels which she bought as a package from Tire Rack. They fit with no clearance issues at all, and those tires are nearly unstoppable. For the record, I am a huge fan of Bridgestone tires, and hate the General G-max tires I have on my Caliber, but her snow tires far outshine the Blizzaks I have on my Daytona Shelby winter beater. They have equal if not better traction, are much cheaper, and have much better tread life. She had the same tires on her Honda Fit before for three winters, and are still going strong going into their fifth season on our friend's Civic after she sold the Fit. My Blizzaks however are past half tread life after only one season.

I'd also like to point out that we are both firm believers in having a set each of summer and winter tires. She commutes over 60 miles each day for work; my daily commute is around 100 miles. We don't take chances with Nebraska winters, and once you've driven in the snow with dedicated snow tires, you'll never want to waste time on all-season tires again.

They are seated, road tested and everything feels fine. No wobbly wheels, no anything.

I do notice that the center of the hub is flush with the hub bore on the rear, but not the front.

Just don't get why.
My fronts are not flush with the hub but the rears are, same as yours. My lugs are much further down on the studs than yours are in both the front and the rear, although my rears are a little further than the fronts. I have approximately 1/4" of stud coming through the lugs in the front.

rexdriver85

My fronts are not flush with the hub but the rears are, same as yours. My lugs are much further down on the studs than yours are in both the front and the rear, although my rears are a little further than the fronts. I have approximately 1/4" of stud coming through the lugs in the front.
Thanks for looking and posting that. Can you snap a picture? Maybe you have different lug nuts than me. Very curious now.

I haven't read this entire thread, but here's my input. Amber has the General Altimax Arctic for her winter tires, in a 195/55/15 with some cheap aluminum wheels which she bought as a package from Tire Rack. They fit with no clearance issues at all, and those tires are nearly unstoppable. For the record, I am a huge fan of Bridgestone tires, and hate the General G-max tires I have on my Caliber, but her snow tires far outshine the Blizzaks I have on my Daytona Shelby winter beater. They have equal if not better traction, are much cheaper, and have much better tread life. She had the same tires on her Honda Fit before for three winters, and are still going strong going into their fifth season on our friend's Civic after she sold the Fit. My Blizzaks however are past half tread life after only one season.

I'd also like to point out that we are both firm believers in having a set each of summer and winter tires. She commutes over 60 miles each day for work; my daily commute is around 100 miles. We don't take chances with Nebraska winters, and once you've driven in the snow with dedicated snow tires, you'll never want to waste time on all-season tires again.
I am running this tire, same size and setup. Seems good so far, and the price was right.

rexdriver85

Wow, very strange. The hex portion of your lug nuts appear to be just a tad bit shorter than mine, but that in no way explains the massive difference in the amount of wheel stud threads sticking out vs. mine.

I wonder if our steelies are a little different. I wish mine looked like yours. I am stumped.

rexdriver85

[MENTION=2513]rexdriver85[/MENTION] if you don't have center caps get some grease(non water soluble)/antiseize on those axle nuts. that will prevent the rust look.
Thanks for the tip. [wrenchin] I hate how things rust to quickly. A buddy at work said I should get beauty rings and half moon covers for the steelies, lol. I haven't seen anyone with an actual center cap on a steel wheel yet.

rexdriver85

15X6 4-108 ET47.5 from Tire Rack
Yup, that is EXACTLY what I asked for myself, took the specs from Tire Rack and gave them to the local tire shop I ordered through. Wonder if something got messed up when they ordered them. [MENTION=2641]PhoenixM3[/MENTION] says his looks exactly like mine.

Anyone running, 195/65/15 Michelin Xii3 have any issues in the snow? Looked at the distance between my tires and Rally armor nuts and its not very far. Not a big loss got these for free at work, may look into the Firestone winterforces in 185/60/15.

Anyone running, 195/65/15 Michelin Xii3 have any issues in the snow? Looked at the distance between my tires and Rally armor nuts and its not very far. Not a big loss got these for free at work, may look into the Firestone winterforces in 185/60/15.
That's an awfully tall tire, but as long as it works. Just remember your speedometer is probably way off.

New Wheel and Tire Package Installed

Winter tires went on this weekend. Tire Rack's Sport Edition 16x7 Anthacite (to hide pad dust) with BF Goodrich 205/45/ZR16 G-Force Comp-2 A/S. Tires are not M+S but if it's more than a dusting I'm not risking the idiots on the road with the ST anyway.
*One important installation note - You need to drive the new wheel and tires at least 20mph for at least 3 minutes to allow the TPMS sensors to upload enough data for the Ford sensor tool that allows you to initialize the new wheels.
IMG_0340.JPG IMG_0341.JPG
Backed the ST out of the drift left by Snowtorius B.I.G. of last weekend and got a perfect impression of the front end grille, license plate, wheel, etc...
2016Snow (1).JPG 2016Snow2 (1).jpg

Has anyone given the Michelin Cross Climates a try?

In theory, a great option for those us who suffer barely anything more than a light dusting of snow on occasion, although my main worry would the summer performance in the dry versus the stock tyres.

Has anyone given the Michelin Cross Climates a try?

In theory, a great option for those us who suffer barely anything more than a light dusting of snow on occasion, although my main worry would the summer performance in the dry versus the stock tyres.
Not used myself, but I had a bit of back and forth with their official Twitter account after they announced these because I refused to believe that they didn't offer more performance in every area without compromising something. However, Michelin swore blind that the tyre was just THAT much better!

Perhaps contact them and ask for a set to review? Convince the naysayers? ;-)