Hello and welcome to our Fiesta ST Forum community! Is this your first visit?
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25272829303132333435
    Senior Member 732 Rep Points M-Sport fan's Avatar
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    Solebury
    State
    PA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    It IS a shame that none of these tire manufacturers produce a winter tire in a 195/50/55-17, or even a 185/55/60-17, since then we could use the factory wheels without going to a WIDER tire (like everyone seems to do), which is contrary to what is desired for winter's snow/slush use, setup.
    Magnetic 2016 Fiesta ST base model

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points  
    City
    Edmonton
    Country
    Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh. I ran super skinny and wide tires on my truck throughout the winter. The truck drove the same in regards to traction. In my mind the whole skinny in winter is a moot point.

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    Dallas
    State
    TX
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I lived somewhere where there was winter I would drive a beater car or truck for the winter and park the ST indoors. Screw winter tires!

Member 112 Rep Points

Medals
    City
    South West Ohio
    State
    OH
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by M-Sport fan View Post
    It IS a shame that none of these tire manufacturers produce a winter tire in a 195/50/55-17, or even a 185/55/60-17, since then we could use the factory wheels without going to a WIDER tire (like everyone seems to do), which is contrary to what is desired for winter's snow/slush use, setup.
    Speaking strictly all-season compound and ignoring the super-crap Yokohama P185/60R14 tires which would get me stuck everywhere, the only time traction was a severe issue, was when "ground" clearance was an issue. I've understood that the chief "benefit" behind narrow, is that you more readily sink in.

The Kelly Explorer P175/65R14 were decent. As mentioned, the Yokohama P185/60R14 sucked ass. The Kelly Navigator Gold P185/60R14, could pretty much go anywhere, even when everyone was told to stay off the roads. The Kelly Explorer Plus P185/60R14 wasn't as good as the Navigator Gold, but a little better than the Explorer.

I would also reduce tire pressures under those conditions because the additional flex helped knock some of the snow-pack from the tread. While this is not contrary to popular belief or practice, note that this also has the impact of increasing the tire contact patch.

More than width, I think tread pattern, tire compound and sidewall flex are going to be the most important factors.

Regarding width, my point is not that I am right and everyone else is wrong, but simply noting a reason why I may prefer the additional ~40mm total spec.

On another person's vehicle, I've also seen the extreme of having super-wide (maybe an extra 20-30mm per tire) on snow pack, and the results were definitely not good. He was definitely not biting or digging in at all. I'm not sure how he made it across town to start with LoL. But then, the tread, compound and sidewall were all, far less than ideal.
    2016 Ford Fiesta ST Kona Blue ; Engine, Suspension will remain untouched ; Southwest Ohio ; Winter: 215/45R17 Continental ; Seasonal: 205/40R17 Bridgestone

Senior Member 274 Rep Points TyphoonFiST's Avatar

Medals
    City
    Blaine
    State
    MN
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally got around to hucking the continental winter tires I got from a member. Going from the Michelin as3 ...noticed right away...less spinning from a stop....less sliding around....now we will test their longevity.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    Is this your bush? Are you king of the forest?

New Member 7 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points  
    City
    Lincolnwood
    State
    IL
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Likes

First set of winter wheels/tires.

I put winter tires on for the first time today. 195/55R15 Michelin X-ice on some cheap wheels I got for $60 a piece. Car is a bit squirrly in turns, but the ride is much improved and the tires are sticking to the pavement pretty well in the light snow/ice we got in the Chicago area today.

Member 111 Rep Points

Medals
    City
    Sheboygan
    State
    WI
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Likes

I actually like those wheels funky.

Senior Member 732 Rep Points M-Sport fan's Avatar

Medals
    City
    Solebury
    State
    PA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plainrt View Post
    I actually like those wheels funky.
    Yes, those are a STEAL @ $60.00 each!
    Magnetic 2016 Fiesta ST base model

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25272829303132333435