Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST Winter Tires, Lets hear what you think

Just got delivered today. Andros N3 wheels (just the cheapest clearance models available at the time), and Goodyear Ultra Grip Winter tires. They're a bit softer in the corners than the stock tires (as can be expected, they aren't performance tires) but I can already feel the extra grip from the winter rubber. It's been too cold out here for the stock summer tires for a while, I've needed these pretty bad.

FistSt215

Just got delivered today. Andros N3 wheels (just the cheapest clearance models available at the time), and Goodyear Ultra Grip Winter tires. They're a bit softer in the corners than the stock tires (as can be expected, they aren't performance tires) but I can already feel the extra grip from the winter rubber. It's been too cold out here for the stock summer tires for a while, I've needed these pretty bad.
How much that set cost ? I'm looking for a winter setup for the Svt focus . I believe we share the same bolt pattern with the fist

I started with 30 but it felt a little mushy. No snow here yet just cold. I'm at 34psi warm and it feels good and stable.
i put in 39 front 36 rear. or whatever 1 psi more than what is supposed to be. with such big sidewalls i thought it would need some more air to firm them up, however, the car feels a bit squirmy under heavy braking, and its not cold enough to really feel a difference yet.

kjm

16" Sparco Assetto Gara matte graphite silver with Yoko AVS Winter 195/50/16 here.

Quick review.

I just picked up Fist with the *free* winter tires and wheels it came with. It came with BF Goodrich Winter Slalom KSis in 195/60R15 on 15" Steelies (Which I prefer for winter for a DD). Much better to have a strong wheel that is easily replacable and cheap.

As far as the steelies go, I used to run the stock wheels in the winter on previous cars, but when you wreck one it takes longer to get; especially when the car is over 2 years old. It also a lot easier to curb a wheel in the winter.

Now for the BF Slalom Ksi's. I would rate them 2/5 for traction. This is one day of use with mostly Ice and 2" of fluffy snow over the ice as the day went on. They are an S speed rating (180KM\H) and I cannot find a wear rating, but I am better they take a while to wear by feeling them with my hands and observing the available traction or stickyness.

I don't have time for a comprehensive comparison to previous wheels I have ran on other cars, so a short comparison:

BF Goodrich Slalom KSi (on 15 Fist)
Grip Ice: 2 (This is a rating for only winter tires, not all-season or anything)
Grip Snow: N\A Not enough time yet
Braking: 3 (Ok braking on ice)
Wear: N/A but supposedly stupid high
Ride: 5 (Doesn't feel like winter tires at all)
Stability/Control/Turning/Changing Lanes: 3.5 I feel confidant.
Price:5 *Cheapest Here
Overall: 3.5 (Based on price mostly, if this tire was the same price as any of the below mentioned it would be 2.5)

Positives:
Cheap Winter tire
Better than allseason, and with steelies you can't argue against this versus summer tire.

Negatives:
Poor grip on accel, which is a deal breaker for me , since intersections can be very deadly. This is completely fine if you take your time more than the average Turbo 4-Cyl driver does.
Best suited for a sub 160TQ car.

*rating of 1-5, higher is better.
Blizzak LM-22 (On 07 Mazdaspeed 3/ 08 Evo X):
Grip Ice: 4 (I would give 5 On a studded Nokian)
Grip Snow: 3
Braking: 4
Wear:2 (Fast wear --- 2 winters with aggressive driving on FWD, 3 on AWD, 4-5 if careful I suppose)
Ride: 2 (Rough and Loud)
Stability/Control While Driving/Turning/Changing Lanes: 4 My favorite until the LM-60's came out.
Price: 3 (Moderately expensive)
Overall: 4 (Would be better if it had deeper tread/siping)

Positives:
Great ice grip on accel, Good handling on ice.

Negatives:
Cost, Wears Fast, not so good stopping in deep snow.

Blizzak 2013 LM-60 (On 08 Evo X GSR, 14 Audi SQ5
Grip Ice: 4 (only higher with studs again)
Grip Snow: 4
Wear: 3 (seems to be wearing less than LM-22)
Ride: 3.5 (Better and quieter than previous LM-22 I had)
Stability/Control/Turning/Lane Changes: 5
Price: 3 (still damn expensive)
Overall: 4.5 (getting up to studded)

Positives:
Same as LM-22 but with better ice and snow handling
Above average wear qualities for this segment

Negatives:
Expensive
Still not really great in deep snow unless you are something like the Q5 which is good and heavy.

Michellin X-Ice *First iteration(07 Mazdaspeed 3, 03 Focus SVT

Grip Ice: 3 (Don't notice alot of difference over lm-22, a little better on snow)
Braking:4.5 (Better braking on snow than Blizzak)
Wear: 3.5 Wear a little slower than blizzak, although this doesnt make a lot of sense since the siping is deeper. Different compound I guess.
Ride: 4 (Better and quieter in my opinion)
Stability/Control/Turning/Lane Changes: 3.5 Not as good as blizzak. But I am using these only on FWD.
Price: 3 (Similar to blizzak)
Overall: 3.5

Positives:
Better ice traction than LM-22.

Negatives:
not many, but this tire is outdated now.

Michellin X-Ice Xi2

Grip Ice: 3.5
Braking: 4 All around pretty good
Wear: 4 A lot better than both blizzak above. Crazy for a tire of this quality. I drove these in to May (which is still winter here: -15C to +15C in same month)
Ride: 4.5 Loud, but quiet for a winter tire.
Stability/Control/Turning/Lane Changes: 3.5 Good, but not as good as LM-60
Price: 4 (Mostly considering wear benefits vs overall performance)
Overall: 4.5 (Based alot of longevity of tire)

Positives:
Great dependable tire and costs less per mile than blizzak.

Negatives:
Not as good on ice as LM-60

Car is getting remote start now so no picture, get one up when I can.

Edit: I am an idiot sometimes and got the ws80's and lm-60s (2013) confused.

I just picked up Fist with the *free* winter tires and wheels it came with. It came with BF Goodrich Winter Slalom KSis in 195/55R15 on 15" Steelies (Which I prefer for winter for a DD). Much better to have a strong wheel that is easily replacable and cheap.

As far as the steelies go, I used to run the stock wheels in the winter on previous cars, but when you wreck one it takes longer to get; especially when the car is over 2 years old. It also a lot easier to curb a wheel in the winter.

Now for the BF Slalom Ksi's. I would rate them 2/5 for traction. This is one day of use with mostly Ice and 2" of fluffy snow over the ice as the day went on. They are an S speed rating (180KM\H) and I cannot find a wear rating, but I am better they take a while to wear by feeling them with my hands and observing the available traction or stickyness.

I don't have time for a comprehensive comparison to previous wheels I have ran on other cars, so a short comparison:

BF Goodrich Slalom KSi (on 15 Fist)
Grip Ice: 2 (This is a rating for only winter tires, not all-season or anything)
Grip Snow: N\A Not enough time yet
Braking: 3 (Ok braking on ice)
Wear: N/A but supposedly stupid high
Ride: 5 (Doesn't feel like winter tires at all)
Stability/Control/Turning/Changing Lanes: 3.5 I feel confidant.
Price:5 *Cheapest Here
Overall: 3.5 (Based on price mostly, if this tire was the same price as any of the below mentioned it would be 2.5)

Positives:
Cheap Winter tire
Better than allseason, and with steelies you can't argue against this versus summer tire.

Negatives:
Poor grip on accel, which is a deal breaker for me , since intersections can be very deadly. This is completely fine if you take your time more than the average Turbo 4-Cyl driver does.
Best suited for a sub 160TQ car.

*rating of 1-5, higher is better.
Blizzak LM-22 (On 07 Mazdaspeed 3/ 08 Evo X):
Grip Ice: 4 (I would give 5 On a studded Nokian)
Grip Snow: 3
Wear:2 (Fast wear --- 2 winters with aggressive driving on FWD, 3 on AWD, 4-5 if careful I suppose)
Ride: 2 (Rough and Loud)
Stability/Control While Driving/Turning/Changing Lanes: 4 My favorite until the ws80's came out.
Price: 3 (Moderately expensive)
Overall: 4 (Would be better if it had deeper tread/siping)

Positives:
Great ice grip on accel, Good handling on ice.

Negatives:
Cost, Wears Fast, not so good stopping in deep snow.

Blizzak WS-80 (On 08 Evo X GSR, 14 Audi SQ5
Grip Ice: 4 (only higher with studs again)
Wear: 3 (seems to be wearing less than LM-22)
Ride: 3.5 (Better and quieter than previous LM-22 I had)
Stability/Control/Turning/Lane Changes: 5
Price: 3 (still damn expensive)
Overall: 4.5 (getting up to studded)

Positives:
Same as LM-22 but with better ice and snow handling
Above average wear qualities for this segment

Negatives:
Expensive
Still not really great in deep snow unless you are something like the Q5 which is good and heavy.

Michellin X-Ice *First iteration(07 Mazdaspeed 3, 03 Focus SVT

Grip Ice: 3 (Don't notice alot of difference over lm-22, a little better on snow)
Braking:4.5 (Better braking on snow than Blizzak)
Wear: 3.5 Wear a little slower than blizzak, although this doesnt make a lot of sense since the siping is deeper. Different compound I guess.
Ride: 4 (Better and quieter in my opinion)
Stability/Control/Turning/Lane Changes: 3.5 Not as good as blizzak. But I am using these only on FWD.
Price: 3 (Similar to blizzak)
Overall: 3.5

Positives:
Better ice traction than LM-22.

Negatives:
not many, but this tire is outdated now.

Michellin X-Ice Xi2

Grip Ice: 3.5
Braking: 4 All around pretty good
Wear: 4 A lot better than both blizzak above. Crazy for a tire of this quality. I drove these in to May (which is still winter here: -15C to +15C in same month)
Ride: 4.5 Loud, but quiet for a winter tire.
Stability/Control/Turning/Lane Changes: 3.5 Good, but not as good as ws80
Price: 4 (Mostly considering wear benefits vs overall performance)
Overall: 4.5 (Based alot of longevity of tire)

Positives:
Great dependable tire and costs less per mile than blizzak.

Negatives:
Not as good on ice as ws80.

Car is getting remote start now so no picture, get one up when I can.
Thanks for the write up. Are you sure the Blizzaks were ws-80s? I'm only asking because they just came out this year and there are no formal reviews for them yet...

Thanks for the write up. Are you sure the Blizzaks were ws-80s? I'm only asking because they just came out this year and there are no formal reviews for them yet...
Thanks for pointing that out. Fixed it. I was only going to write a paragraph and got carried away and rushed through it before dinner. Too many tires here to remember now I suppose; not to mention the older ones. Currently I have Two sets each for Audi and Fist, Four sets for the evo and One for the avalanche. Should have looked into it better. Can't even find my receipt for last years Evo Winter wheels. Anywoo thanks.

I was looking at ws80's for the evo and perhaps had them on my mind. Also had to delete evo from having run the LM-60's. Only used it on the audi, which may contribute to my higher rating of them.

One more thing, I am not sure what winters are on the evo now, I thought I had ws80's on but am totally wrong. They are Blizzaks, and new from last year.

Also a note:
I have seen bad reviews of the LM60 online as well and haven't had the same experience. In the end X-Ice II vs Blizzak LM-60 is a toss up for me, but hard to compare directly when I've only used the 60's on a SUV/Crossover.

Thanks for pointing that out. Fixed it. I was only going to write a paragraph and got carried away and rushed through it before dinner. Too many tires here to remember now I suppose; not to mention the older ones. Currently I have Two sets each for Audi and Fist, Four sets for the evo and One for the avalanche. Should have looked into it better. Can't even find my receipt for last years Evo Winter wheels. Anywoo thanks.

I was looking at ws80's for the evo and perhaps had them on my mind. Also had to delete evo from having run the LM-60's. Only used it on the audi, which may contribute to my higher rating of them.

One more thing, I am not sure what winters are on the evo now, I thought I had ws80's on but am totally wrong. They are Blizzaks, and new from last year.

Also a note:
I have seen bad reviews of the LM60 online as well and haven't had the same experience. In the end X-Ice II vs Blizzak LM-60 is a toss up for me, but hard to compare directly when I've only used the 60's on a SUV/Crossover.
No worries. Preliminary reports suggest the ws-80s to be among the best. Probably because the xi3s are a little older.

The bridgestones have always been criticized for their short life. The new generation is supposed to be better but that is yet to be determined.

The xi3s, Altimax, Blizzaks and hakkas are all really great tires. I would imagine it would hard to discern between them (assuming the Blizzaks don't wear out after 2 seasons).

I went with the Blizzak ws-80s because they were the newest design. I haven't had a chance to really test them yet.

Alrighty, I have replaced my BF Goodrich Slalom Ksi's with Nokian Hakka R8 Studded. They are getting installed as we speak. Selling my other tires on Kijiji.

Ill report back to see if it was worth the difference. I wanted the studless but the guy at Kal-tire said Kal-tire Canada couldn't get the studless version at all. The next best studless option available there were the Nokian Rs. Which didn't warrant enough of an upgrade from my previous tires.

I ended up going through Kal-Tire and paid $880 installed on my 15x6 +43.7 steelies.

Alrighty, I have replaced my BF Goodrich Slalom Ksi's with Nokian Hakka R8 Studded. They are getting installed as we speak. Selling my other tires on Kijiji.

Ill report back to see if it was worth the difference. I wanted the studless but the guy at Kal-tire said Kal-tire Canada couldn't get the studless version at all. The next best studless option available there were the Nokian Rs. Which didn't warrant enough of an upgrade from my previous tires.

I ended up going through Kal-Tire and paid $880 installed on my 15x6 +43.7 steelies.
OOOOhhhh studded Hakkas. Please report back with how they work out. Where about in Canada do you live that you are allowed to run studded?

OOOOhhhh studded Hakkas. Please report back with how they work out. Where about in Canada do you live that you are allowed to run studded?
I am in Alberta, where tires are a free-for-all like everything else. You can use chains if you want. Though there is talk of mandatory winter tires maybe next year or the following year. That is coming from the insurance companies; which I am sure they would love to see. I myself would also be in favour of that. Here is a non-government link to what is acceptable in each province: http://www.perfecttire.com/en/tire-tech/studded-tire-regulations/studded-tire-regulations.html

In there is mentions that in Ontario you are allowed studded tires between Sept 1st and May 31st which is more than reasonable. Again this isn't the most reliable source, but the Alberta Highway Traffic Safety Act isn't that helpful in this regard. There is mention of tires in there but nothing that I saw about studded on personal vehicles.

I will provide feedback as soon as I put a few miles on them. Then again later when I can attest to their overall performance. I deal with snow and ice, but in terms of miles mostly icy highway conditions. Right now it is unseasonably warm, so the 5" of snow that well last weeks is all slush now and due to the freezing rain last night the bare roads are good and slippery. Its a perfect time to test these tires. Next weeks should be back to -20 with a little snow, but mostly bare icy roads. I badly want to see how these tires do in -40C though, even though that would still be terrible.

I am in Alberta, where tires are a free-for-all like everything else. You can use chains if you want. Though there is talk of mandatory winter tires maybe next year or the following year. That is coming from the insurance companies; which I am sure they would love to see. I myself would also be in favour of that. Here is a non-government link to what is acceptable in each province: http://www.perfecttire.com/en/tire-tech/studded-tire-regulations/studded-tire-regulations.html

In there is mentions that in Ontario you are allowed studded tires between Sept 1st and May 31st which is more than reasonable. Again this isn't the most reliable source, but the Alberta Highway Traffic Safety Act isn't that helpful in this regard. There is mention of tires in there but nothing that I saw about studded on personal vehicles.
Ahhh Alberta, Canada's Texas... As per the chart "Vehicles registered in Northern Ontario (North of Perry Sound and Nipissing Districts). Stud size and quantity restrictions apply. Visitors allowed for 30 days." So North of Perry Sound meaning like 15 people...

I live in the Toronto area, where it's pretty mild and roads are seldom covered with more than a few inches of snow. I do make pretty frequent trip to the "snow belt" area where I do make good use of an aggressive winter tire. If I wasn't leaving the GTA, I probably would have run a performance winter like the Sottozeros or the like. I believe studs actually give up a bit of wet and dry traction in exchange for snow and ice superiority so they really aren't that useful here.

Yes, there are some real negatives to running studs. I did want the non-studded hakka's but I was impatient. Ill give them a try though.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
I live in the Toronto area, where it's pretty mild and roads are seldom covered with more than a few inches of snow. I do make pretty frequent trip to the "snow belt" area where I do make good use of an aggressive winter tire. If I wasn't leaving the GTA, I probably would have run a performance winter like the Sottozeros or the like. I believe studs actually give up a bit of wet and dry traction in exchange for snow and ice superiority so they really aren't that useful here.
Well in the GTA the second it thinks of snowing there is more salt on the ground than snow. Almost like driving on gravels. A good winter picks up the salt in the groves and voila free studs... But I would rather have packed snow than the dam salt mine look your car is after driving in it.

KKaWing

Don't forget when it gets between -10*C ish and 0*C, the city uses brine... That stuff is like anti-rustcheck. Sticks to absolutely everything =_=; When it dries out, it turns into this fine salt powder that gets picked up and guess what... sticks to everything too X_X;

P.S. forget about less grip with studded tires on clean roads... think of your eardrums man, they'll bleed from the racket studs make.

Ahhh Alberta, Canada's Texas... As per the chart "Vehicles registered in Northern Ontario (North of Perry Sound and Nipissing Districts). Stud size and quantity restrictions apply. Visitors allowed for 30 days." So North of Perry Sound meaning like 15 people...

Live in the same area, Toronto ST meets?, though what winter set up are you using?