Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST Winter Tires, Lets hear what you think

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It IS a shame that none of these tire manufacturers produce a winter tire in a 195/50/55-17, or even a 185/55/60-17, since then we could use the factory wheels without going to a WIDER tire (like everyone seems to do), which is contrary to what is desired for winter's snow/slush use, setup. [mad] [:(]

Meh. I ran super skinny and wide tires on my truck throughout the winter. The truck drove the same in regards to traction. In my mind the whole skinny in winter is a moot point.

DaveG99

If I lived somewhere where there was winter I would drive a beater car or truck for the winter and park the ST indoors. Screw winter tires!

Intuit

3000 Post Club
It IS a shame that none of these tire manufacturers produce a winter tire in a 195/50/55-17, or even a 185/55/60-17, since then we could use the factory wheels without going to a WIDER tire (like everyone seems to do), which is contrary to what is desired for winter's snow/slush use, setup. [mad] [:(]
Speaking strictly all-season compound and ignoring the super-crap Yokohama P185/60R14 tires which would get me stuck everywhere, the only time traction was a severe issue, was when "ground" clearance was an issue. I've understood that the chief "benefit" behind narrow, is that you more readily sink in.

The Kelly Explorer P175/65R14 were decent. As mentioned, the Yokohama P185/60R14 sucked ass. The Kelly Navigator Gold P185/60R14, could pretty much go anywhere, even when everyone was told to stay off the roads. The Kelly Explorer Plus P185/60R14 wasn't as good as the Navigator Gold, but a little better than the Explorer.

I would also reduce tire pressures under those conditions because the additional flex helped knock some of the snow-pack from the tread. While this is not contrary to popular belief or practice, note that this also has the impact of increasing the tire contact patch.

More than width, I think tread pattern, tire compound and sidewall flex are going to be the most important factors.

Regarding width, my point is not that I am right and everyone else is wrong, but simply noting a reason why I may prefer the additional ~40mm total spec.

On another person's vehicle, I've also seen the extreme of having super-wide (maybe an extra 20-30mm per tire) on snow pack, and the results were definitely not good. He was definitely not biting or digging in at all. I'm not sure how he made it across town to start with LoL. But then, the tread, compound and sidewall were all, far less than ideal. [biggrin]

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Finally got around to hucking the continental winter tires I got from a member. Going from the Michelin as3 ...noticed right away...less spinning from a stop....less sliding around....now we will test their longevity.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

First set of winter wheels/tires.

I put winter tires on for the first time today. 195/55R15 Michelin X-ice on some cheap wheels I got for $60 a piece. Car is a bit squirrly in turns, but the ride is much improved and the tires are sticking to the pavement pretty well in the light snow/ice we got in the Chicago area today.

LILIKE16ST

I put winter tires on for the first time today. 195/55R15 Michelin X-ice on some cheap wheels I got for $60 a piece. Car is a bit squirrly in turns, but the ride is much improved and the tires are sticking to the pavement pretty well in the light snow/ice we got in the Chicago area today.
Nice deal on the wheels and I'm sure you will like those tires they're one of the highest rated winter tires available and I'll probably go with them in a 185/60 on some steelies in the future.

I picked up some Focus SES wheels a while back, complete with practically new Blizzaks, for $350 complete. This year, the clear coat was really flaking off, so I gave them a quick refresh. Sanded off all the loose stuff, scuffed the surface, primed, painted and coated. Then had them spin balanced because they had no weights on them at all. We shall see how they hold up again winter, but they are beater wheels so who really cares.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

I picked up some Focus SES wheels a while back, complete with practically new Blizzaks, for $350 complete. This year, the clear coat was really flaking off, so I gave them a quick refresh. Sanded off all the loose stuff, scuffed the surface, primed, painted and coated. Then had them spin balanced because they had no weights on them at all. We shall see how they hold up again winter, but they are beater wheels so who really cares.
Pretty damn NICE for "beater wheels"! [thumb]

I would do the same, but I don't want to use 17s with a 40/45 profile tire, for winter/snow/rally working purposes.

Looking good guys!

I'm trying to decide between 15" wheels + tires (the Tire Rack A10 Sports + Michelin X-ice) or 16" (same A10s w/ Pirelli Snowcontrol serie 3s) for around $150 more, are they worth it?

I read in other posts that the 15's feel too 'gooey' and the 16s would be a better choice, is that true? Thanks!

Business6

I have Blizzaks in stock size and christ they can barely manage the torque even in fourth gear. I have to be really careful on the throttle but aside from that they're amazingly quiet (finally hearing induction noise!) and do quite well in various conditions. I still wish I went with 15s but oh well, next time.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I too , also have stock size in Continentals....way....way better than the Michelins a/s 3 that came off. Those just spin and spin even in minimal snow. The continentals just plow though the snow and handling is more predictable.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^On a dry, somewhat smooth road, yes, the 16s will have a sharper turn-in and transient response, but then we ARE talking about winter/snow/ice rubber here, NOT summer 200 tread wear gumballs.

Given the totally BOMBED-OUT condition of inner city roads, especially during winter, and the early spring frost heaves, I would go with a higher profile sidewall myself if I were forced to be constantly on those roads. ;)

BTW, you were looking at the 195/55-15 X-Ice Xi3s, and the 195/50-16 Snowcontrols, correct?

(This is a response to jpindustrie.)

Winter is coming. for some sooner than others. lets hear your thoughts on bang for buck rubber or best rubber, cost not a factor.
Just drove through my 3rd snow storm on the East coast on 15 inch Michelin X-Ice i3s on steel wheels. Picked them up from TireRack directly so all in all paid $465 after $70 rebate. Very, very good tire on wet, ice, snow, and dry pavement. If I had to choose I would say they perform the worst on cold, dry pavement but still very capable tire.

funkygruve

Looking good guys!

I'm trying to decide between 15" wheels + tires (the Tire Rack A10 Sports + Michelin X-ice) or 16" (same A10s w/ Pirelli Snowcontrol serie 3s) for around $150 more, are they worth it?

I read in other posts that the 15's feel too 'gooey' and the 16s would be a better choice, is that true? Thanks!
I've got about a month on the 15" X-ice and I'm very happy with them. I debated between 15" and 16", but Chicago has awful potholes in the winter and I didn't want to be buying new wheels every year, so I went with the higher sidewall. Cornering is definitely compromised a bit with the 15s, but they make up for it in deeper snow traction and ride comfort. The X-Ice are pretty fantastic. Low road noise, too!

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
fourth winter on General Altimax Arctics and they are still working great! This has been the coldest winter since the early 1980's, so the tires are being used on more ice that we normally see. Also got 33" of snow last month and the tires never had any issues. For the price, you can't go wrong with the Generals!

Winter 2018 by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Just drove through my 3rd snow storm on the East coast on 15 inch Michelin X-Ice i3s on steel wheels. Picked them up from TireRack directly so all in all paid $465 after $70 rebate. Very, very good tire on wet, ice, snow, and dry pavement. If I had to choose I would say they perform the worst on cold, dry pavement but still very capable tire.
You drove to their New Castle, De. facility to pick them up?