Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST Winter Tires, Lets hear what you think

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^It's not just the sidewalls themselves (let's face it, NOTHING is going to stand up to the impacts/roughness/sidewall shearing of gravel roads like a totally reinforced, '3 ring' RALLY TIRE sidewall ;)), but the toughness, or durometer of the tread blocks themselves.

I could be wrong, but the R2's tread blocks, 'sipeyness', and the tire's exclusive intended use, make me think that they will get torn to shreds quickly on gravel roads, at summer ambient temps. [dunno]

I ordered 195\50r16 in the Hakkapillata 8 studded winter tire, had the R2's but they were worn out and wanted more traction for winter conditions up in the north. Would have ordered the Hakkapillata 9 studded but they don't make in this tire size yet. Not cheap but also considered to be one of the best winter tires on the market.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

I ordered 195\50r16 in the Hakkapillata 8 studded winter tire, had the R2's but they were worn out and wanted more traction for winter conditions up in the north. Would have ordered the Hakkapillata 9 studded but they don't make in this tire size yet. Not cheap but also considered to be one of the best winter tires on the market.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
It was a coin toss for me between the R2 and 8 studded. Hoping it landed on the right one..

Sent from my iPhone using messenger penguins

^^^It's not just the sidewalls themselves (let's face it, NOTHING is going to stand up to the impacts/roughness/sidewall shearing of gravel roads like a totally reinforced, '3 ring' RALLY TIRE sidewall ;)), but the toughness, or durometer of the tread blocks themselves.

I could be wrong, but the R2's tread blocks, 'sipeyness', and the tire's exclusive intended use, make me think that they will get torn to shreds quickly on gravel roads, at summer ambient temps. [dunno]
Of course! I’d love to grab a set of Terra rims and order up some D Macs... hmmmm... I’d need a trailer, with a compressor... maybe some Reiger coil overs... heh! I used to do some gravel backroad runs on the “normal” Fiesta Hankook Optimos, only one serious pucker moment...

I did pop an Altimax Arctic on bare tarmac during regular commuting conditions, it was cold enough that I ended up with a lug nut frozen to my palm. Now I keep gloves in my winter go bag...

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Reiger coil overs, YUMMY!! [drool]

But they are about the cost of our whole car new, so they are but a dream, but they ARE the 'real deal'! [thumb]

I wonder IF I would totally burn up a set of gravel D Macks on just the roads to STPR, on the paved 'transits' between working stages, and then back home again?! [dunno] LOL

LILIKE16ST

We don't have terrible winters here in southwest va but get some decent snow from time to time. I've only tried dedicated winter tires once thus far (currently using my stock wheels with optional Michelin all seasons for winter until they wear out and they'll be replaced with a dedicated winter tire) but I tried the Bridgestone ws80 in 205/40/17 on my previous svt focus and they were amazing. May not be the best there is because that's all I've tried as far as dedicated winter tires (not all seasons) but compared to summer or even all seasons the difference was unreal...it would pull up 4-5 inch deep snowfallen hills at normal speeds with no loss of traction when before with my worthless-in-the-snow neo gens I was slipping and sliding everywhere during the same conditions and could not make it at all without getting up a little extra speed and fighting the wheel back and forth to keep the car straight. I knew winter tires would help but I had no idea they would make that little front drive focus perform like a 4x4 truck going up snow covered hills. I may try those same tires again. I sold 3 of them to a friend (the 4th had been badly punctured and was Unusable) with near new tread on them which he hasn't used much at all since I may try to get them back from him but they are currently mounted on his factory svt focus wheels. Or I may go with something else alltogether. My Michelin all seasons have a decent amount of life left and I've only driven them in light snow thus far but they didn't perform bad at all for all seasons. They will do with the winters we have until they need replaced.

Any suggestions of a winter tire in stock size that are better and possibly cheaper than the ws80 bridgestone? I have not looked alot into it yet and I was just curious. I also thought about 195/55/15 xice Michelin on a set of steelies but I'm not sure yet. May as well use my stock black wheels I don't use them in warm weather I have my pro race 1.2s for that.....thanks in advance

It was a coin toss for me between the R2 and 8 studded. Hoping it landed on the right one..

Overall was happy with the R2's but I found I still got a lot of wheel spin from starting on ice (Maybe I have a heavy foot, lol). Stopping distances were good. There were times on the highway when it was really bad and icy didn't have the confidence I wanted, would get thrown around the lane and that was doing 60-70km but really bad conditions.

I went with the R2 originally cause when I bought my FiST Ford had up to $1800 winter tire package so since not too many tires were available through Ford I got my dealer to buy the R2's and I had to still pay about $175 as I got 16" Ford aluminum wheels and TPMS sensors. I got 2.75 winters out of them before they were pretty much worn out. The first winter my Ford dealer gave me a loaner set of winter tires until the Nokian R2's came in, think I put about 8000km on the loaner set. In my case since I live a little outside of city limits am willing trade off for some extra noise of the studs for improved traction with Nokian's superior stud design of anybody who sells studded winter tires.

Taber1353

I went with General Altimax Arctic tire 185/60R15 with 15 Steel wheels from amazon. Seems like they will fit. I have yet to drive in the winter, but I'm told those tires are killer.

They're good. Same tread design as the iPike RW11, which is the tire I hold as the standard for snow/slop conditions, but usually a fair bit cheaper. You should be quite happy.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

For deeper stuff, yep. On ice or hard pack, the nokkans are better. I also find the iPike wears into the shoulder seasons better.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I picked up my set yesterday. The eyeball difference is tread depth. The General has slightly deeper tread than the Nokian R2. That may translate into the R2 being less grippy in the deep stuff. I’m not putting them on yet as the weather isn’t quite cold enough for me to want to scrub them in on hot tarmac.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I picked up my set yesterday. The eyeball difference is tread depth. The General has slightly deeper tread than the Nokian R2. That may translate into the R2 being less grippy in the deep stuff. I’m not putting them on yet as the weather isn’t quite cold enough for me to want to scrub them in on hot tarmac.

I don't blame you ONE BIT!!

IF there is ONE tire I would try to preserve from hot/warm/dry weather over all others, it is the R2$. ;)

If I had them on a set of winter wheels, I would probably only put them on when I KNOW it is going to snow/ice, and pull them off for the all season factory setup as soon as the roads are clear.

I don't blame you ONE BIT!!

IF there is ONE tire I would try to preserve from hot/warm/dry weather over all others, it is the R2$. ;)

If I had them on a set of winter wheels, I would probably only put them on when I KNOW it is going to snow/ice, and pull them off for the all season factory setup as soon as the roads are clear.
Hmmmm all seasons... Is 4 sets of rims excessive?

I've had the Hakkas on for about 10 days, and it's warmish(10 deg C!)...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Got my Nokian Hakkapelitta 8's installed today. Already for winter [emoji846] View attachment 15782 View attachment 15783
I wish that they offered those exact tires, in THAT size, (and their Nordman 7s) non-studded, as they would make the perfect combination winter tire, and working on summer gravel rallies donuts. ;)

I wish that they offered those exact tires, in THAT size, (and their Nordman 7s) non-studded, as they would make the perfect combination winter tire, and working on summer gravel rallies donuts. ;)
I really wanted the new Hakka 9's but they aren't available in 195/50r16. Probably in 2-3 years time they will offer this size in the 9's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk