Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Wheels & tires and/or rear shock

I am trying to reduce the harshness of the FiST suspension for DD, specially in the rear. I am trying to decide if replacing the rear shocks with adjustable ones on their softest settings could help. I am sure after having 15" snow tires that any wheel/tire combination will not accomplish my goals. I may also go down to 16" wheels with 205/45-16 tires to prevent bending wheels again and again. To Anyone with experience with a specific shock or this tire size, please let me know what changes you experienced.

Short version:
Want better ride
Do not want to lower car
minimally invasive, few changes as possible
Considering rear shocks and wheels/tires
Car is a DD
may autox, non-competitive

Thanks everyone

I would think the Bilstein B4 or the standard Koni ( not yellow) would be a good choice. OEM struts have way too much compression dampening IMHO.

OP
M
Thread Starter #3
I read the Koni strt orange shocks have way less compression damping than stock. And they are half the price of the sport yellow. However I like that I could adjust the yellows to match the fronts. Opinions on yellow vs orange?

Haven't seen any bolt-on Bilsteins that aren't in a coil over kit. I found the B14 coil kit but I don't want a full coil kit. I'll look harder.

Trying to be minimally invasive, focusing on finding rear shocks that will work with the stock springs and stock front struts.

I haven't ordered from them, but I believe many have from this forum. It seems one of the few places to stock parts for our cars. I'm surprised they don't have the b4's for the rear, but the b6 should fit the bill.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
M
Thread Starter #7
I'll have to find some stuff to read on the bilsteins. Need something with compression that will kinda match the fronts if I do only the rears. That's the issue I'm thinking on now.

Is it common for people to do rear only?

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I'll have to find some stuff to read on the bilsteins. Need something with compression that will kinda match the fronts if I do only the rears. That's the issue I'm thinking on now.

Is it common for people to do rear only?
To get rid of the harshness, I think you will need to make at least a small modification to the front as well. Either using aftermarket springs with oem damper or aftermarket shocks with oem springs.

That said, tires/wheels can help too. Perhaps a high enough aspect tire and/or smaller wheels will do the trick for you. Part of it also depends on how well maintained the roads are in your area and your tolerance level for bounce...

205/45 Indy 500s on oem wheels made a big difference with an unbelievable boost to performance (this will not rub at all at stock height). They are reasonably priced for what you get as well. Perhaps something like this could be a good first start. Especially if you already need new tires. Then look at springs or shocks depending on how much dampening that you will need? Your call...

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

OP
M
Thread Starter #9
The roads are so bad here that even with my 185/60-15 snow tires I get some pretty sharp bounces so I'm not sure tires alone will do what I want.

I may go down to a 16" wheel and I'm trying to keep my overall diameter close to stock

Tire racks review of the new Indy 500 described it as more of a touring tire. I thought it could be more comfortable for sure. You believe grip is better than the stock re050a?

I was thinking a combination of 205/45-16 tires and wheels with Koni sports at full soft might give me a more comfortable ride.

I've been trying very hard to track down reviews/opinions from owners of Koni Yellows, Koni STR.Ts, Bilstein B6s, and Bilstein B8s on OEM springs. From what I've gathered, and it's my impression only, either Koni part helps remove some of the bounciness, nobody has tried the B6s on OEM springs yet, and the B8s didn't seem to help much.

I'm not inclined to do adjustments so I'm not a fan of going Koni Yellows. There is some thought that STR.Ts may impact handling/steering input in a negative way, but that's not shared among all owners. I have no doubt B6s and B8s help (or at least don't diminish) handling.

I want a solution for stock autocross class and I don't believe that changing wheels and tires should be necessary. I'm on 15" snows with 195/55x15s and it is bouncy as hell on my roads/Interstate. I'm used to snow tires creating a much more compliant ride, even on stiff suspensions (I have two coilover vehicles with snow wheel/tire sets).

I share the above hoping that helps someone and perhaps, that it will encourage some other owners to share their opinions.

Thanks!

I've been trying very hard to track down reviews/opinions from owners of Koni Yellows, Koni STR.Ts, Bilstein B6s, and Bilstein B8s on OEM springs. From what I've gathered, and it's my impression only, either Koni part helps remove some of the bounciness, nobody has tried the B6s on OEM springs yet, and the B8s didn't seem to help much.

I'm not inclined to do adjustments so I'm not a fan of going Koni Yellows. There is some thought that STR.Ts may impact handling/steering input in a negative way, but that's not shared among all owners. I have no doubt B6s and B8s help (or at least don't diminish) handling.

I want a solution for stock autocross class and I don't believe that changing wheels and tires should be necessary. I'm on 15" snows with 195/55x15s and it is bouncy as hell on my roads/Interstate. I'm used to snow tires creating a much more compliant ride, even on stiff suspensions (I have two coilover vehicles with snow wheel/tire sets).

I share the above hoping that helps someone and perhaps, that it will encourage some other owners to share their opinions.

Thanks!
I talked to Mike King (won HS at first Pro Solo and Nat Tour this year) and asked him about his setup. OTS Koni yellows and the OEM 22mm front bar (comes on the newer STs). He said the rear adjustment isn't too bad if you just unbolt the bottom bolt but leave the top bolted to car and compress the strut till it catches on the adjustment and then twist to desired rebound. Fronts seem like the driver's side you should have to remove one bolt from brake reservoir on top of strut and twist it to adjust rebound. But the bilstein may have better low speed compression which is usually a good thing. Decisions, decisions....

And you've just describe a process that I might follow once, but wouldn't again. I don't want that kind of hassle. LOL

And you've just describe a process that I might follow once, but wouldn't again. I don't want that kind of hassle. LOL
Then get the B6s and report back please. It would be the easy button :)

I make all kinds of adjustments at autocrosses (as well as change out tires if needed). More of an investment to get car right for that day than a hassle for me...

Then get the B6s and report back please. It would be the easy button :)

I make all kinds of adjustments at autocrosses (as well as change out tires if needed). More of an investment to get car right for that day than a hassle for me...
B6s aren't necessarily the easy button. That's the problem. None of those I mentioned, seem to be. The Yellows because they require adjustment before and after events, the rest due to lack of owner feedback on OEM springs. If I had the budget, I suppose I could get B6s and STR.Ts and see which I liked, but I don't. I won't be doing the installation myself either. So an even more inflated budget would be required.

Also, on the B6s vs. B8s, they are designed for non-ST Fiestas. The B8s are supposedly for lowering spring-equipped Fiestas (again, NOT Fiesta STs). The Fiesta ST (as I understand it) has a shorter spring then other Fiesta models. One might think, then, that the B8 is more suited for the Fiesta ST OEM springs. But the only review I've been able to find says it doesn't really help the ride.

Oh, and I've always understood that the Koni Yellows were the easy button. ;)

B6s aren't necessarily the easy button. That's the problem. None of those I mentioned, seem to be. The Yellows because they require adjustment before and after events, the rest due to lack of owner feedback on OEM springs. If I had the budget, I suppose I could get B6s and STR.Ts and see which I liked, but I don't. I won't be doing the installation myself either. So an even more inflated budget would be required.

Also, on the B6s vs. B8s, they are designed for non-ST Fiestas. The B8s are supposedly for lowering spring-equipped Fiestas (again, NOT Fiesta STs). The Fiesta ST (as I understand it) has a shorter spring then other Fiesta models. One might think, then, that the B8 is more suited for the Fiesta ST OEM springs. But the only review I've been able to find says it doesn't really help the ride.

Oh, and I've always understood that the Koni Yellows were the easy button. ;)
So along those thoughts, you realize that the Koni Yellows are for the non ST for the front. But they work quite well for the ST. Just sayin...:)

And I have always done all of my own suspension installation and tuning ( as well as custom alignments done at home). That way, I can blame myself when the car doesn't handle properly.

And there is a recent review of the
STR.T Koni struts that sounds like they may meet your requirements.

So along those thoughts, you realize that the Koni Yellows are for the non ST for the front. But they work quite well for the ST. Just sayin...:)

And I have always done all of my own suspension installation and tuning ( as well as custom alignments done at home). That way, I can blame myself when the car doesn't handle properly.

And there is a recent review of the
STR.T Koni struts that sounds like they may meet your requirements.
Yes, I know the Yellows weren't built for the ST. However, I know someone who had a set built and there still is a sister set Koni has. Regardless...

I know my way around a lot of tools but I've screwed too many things up, had to have a car towed to the shop, etc. when I get into them. And yes, I've been screwed over royally by a shop or two over the years.

That STR.T review just went up on this site today and another earlier this A.M. A previous one or two weren't as glowing. I'm in no immediate rush.

OP
M
Thread Starter #17
From what I've read, the Koni strt have way less compression damping to help the ride but aren't necessarily an improvement in handling over OEM. I read from the same source the yellows have a bit more compression than the strt, so less comfortable than the strt but a closer match to the OEM, if I left them up front. And then they have adjustable rebound on the sports of course

The Koni yellows I would probably set up once, at or near full soft, and leave them there. Even if I did an autox event.

I went to have my summers put on the car and the tire shop said my tread is too low and they won't mount them. So now I need to make a decision.

I'll look for those Koni strt reviews. I've really been looking at Koni mostly due to lack of info on the Bilsteins.

Anyone go down to 16" wheels with 205/45-16 tires have advice? Was it enough to make some improvement or is going to 15" necessary for a significant change?

Last edited:

neeqness

1000 Post Club
The roads are so bad here that even with my 185/60-15 snow tires I get some pretty sharp bounces so I'm not sure tires alone will do what I want.

I may go down to a 16" wheel and I'm trying to keep my overall diameter close to stock

Tire racks review of the new Indy 500 described it as more of a touring tire. I thought it could be more comfortable for sure. You believe grip is better than the stock re050a?

I was thinking a combination of 205/45-16 tires and wheels with Koni sports at full soft might give me a more comfortable ride.
Not sure if you are confusing Indy 500s with the Wide Oval Indy 500s. The Indy 500s replaced the Wide Ovals, yet still they are different tires.

In the comparison, the Indy 500s had slightly better grip than the BFG in dry and wet and they also had less noise and a better ride, but they lost overall due to reduced feedback.

In my experience I agree with the comparison except that to me the Indy 500s are better overall. True the lesser feedback was disconcerting at first, but over time you get used to them and accustomed to it until it's not really an issue anymore...definitely not one worthy of losing overall but the tirerack reviews don't seem to consider that factor.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Yes, I know the Yellows weren't built for the ST. However, I know someone who had a set built and there still is a sister set Koni has. Regardless...

I know my way around a lot of tools but I've screwed too many things up, had to have a car towed to the shop, etc. when I get into them. And yes, I've been screwed over royally by a shop or two over the years.

That STR.T review just went up on this site today and another earlier this A.M. A previous one or two weren't as glowing. I'm in no immediate rush.
We have a lot of similarities. I don't want to make a lot of adjustments and I am having someone else install it for me also. Simple is best for me.

Fwiw, this is exactly how I installed the str.ts and as I've said before...they do the job but I feel like it is not as good as I would like it to be.

When I install the B8s, I expect to simply replace the konis with them but I am also considering replacing some related components subject to wear over time to reduce issues that may typically arise due to normal wear (i.e.: bushings).

There is supposed to be a thread here somewhere with an account of all of these parts but I've been having trouble finding it so I'll likely ask my mechanic and/or dealer for a list of these suspension components that tend to wear and need replacing when replacing the shocks/struts and then replace those components at the same time that I install the B8s.

We have a lot of similarities. I don't want to make a lot of adjustments and I am having someone else install it for me also. Simple is best for me.

Fwiw, this is exactly how I installed the str.ts and as I've said before...they do the job but I feel like it is not as good as I would like it to be.

When I install the B8s, I expect to simply replace the konis with them but I am also considering replacing some related components subject to wear over time to reduce issues that may typically arise due to normal wear (i.e.: bushings).

There is supposed to be a thread here somewhere with an account of all of these parts but I've been having trouble finding it so I'll likely ask my mechanic and/or dealer for a list of these suspension components that tend to wear and need replacing when replacing the shocks/struts and then replace those components at the same time that I install the B8s.

Good luck on your search!

From what I can gather and infer, I believe that the B8s will end up "harsher" than the STR.Ts. I'm anxious to hear your review!