Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Commercial: "Don't Change your Oil"

Do you believe in this commercial?

• Yes

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • No

Votes: 28 77.8%
  • Other (see my post)

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Just show me the results. I will never vote.

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters
OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #21
People always say that whatever vice, be it smoking, heavy drinking, gluttony, slothfulness, whoring, whatever, will kill you. Then other people always point out the George Burns' and the like of the world that lived to be 90+ (100 in his case) while smoking everyday of their life.

My response to both parties has always been, it's not that it will kill you, or even necessarily significantly shorten your life. It's just that it will make the last five or ten years of it, a more miserable existence... (and we don't have any more Kevorkians around that I'm aware of)

It's the same with oil changes. Not changing it, won't kill your engine. But the neglect will turn into an oil burning, CLJTGOFBI, (change-lanes-just-to-get-out-from-behind-it,) low-compression, emissions flunker, well before it's time.

The oil we drain from our pans is dirty yet, it's been through that filter(s) more times than one can count. The cleaner you keep it, the longer your engine will run with healthy compression and low consumption.

Five oil changes over 100,000 miles, doesn't sound like a good idea.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
This stuff is $50.00 for the 5 quart jug in the Wally's by me! [crazyeye]

For that price (DOUBLE what they get for all of the other premium synthetics on their shelves), it had BETTER be GREAT.

I cannot imagine what the regular auto chain stores will charge for this stuff when it's not on sale, since they get $36.00-$39.00 for the current premium synthetic 5 quart containers.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
322,000 miles out of a 76 E250 w/ 351 windsor 6k oil changes . Half of it's life pulling a 20ft boat. Never burned oil .

OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #27
53 oil changes ain't bad.
What was the failure mode for the engine ? Compression loss, bearing failure, too much oil consumption or something indicative of abuse or engine defect, such as a thrown rod ?
... or were the automatic transmissionsss the death of it?

[MENTION=7326]Typical Tom[/MENTION]
Maybe next commercial they'll be pulling Yao Ming or Minute Bol... or Gheorghe Mureșan eh? I was looking for those but guess they weren't yet on YT at the time of thread creation.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
53 oil changes ain't bad.
What was the failure mode for the engine ? Compression loss, bearing failure, too much oil consumption or something indicative of abuse or engine defect, such as a thrown rod ?
... or were the automatic transmissionsss the death of it?

[MENTION=7326]Typical Tom[/MENTION]
Maybe next commercial they'll be pulling Yao Ming or Minute Bol... or Gheorghe Mureșan eh? I was looking for those but guess they weren't yet on YT at the time of thread creation.
Still running when sold.