Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Commercial: "Don't Change your Oil"

Do you believe in this commercial?

• Yes

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • No

Votes: 28 77.8%
  • Other (see my post)

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Just show me the results. I will never vote.

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Commercial: "Don't Change your Oil"... says Mobile 1.
They show a bottle that says "Annual Oil Change Protection" 20,000 miles.

Umm... that's almost as bad as the commercial that claims that chemical/drug dependency is the same as a disease... like cancer. WTH... [screwy]

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yeah it's if you always drive in a wind tunnel....with no variables....ie stop and go.....no moisture.....no temperature fluctuations. I never believe that garbage. Anyone remember when Ford had "lifetime" transmission fluid in some of their vehicles? Um yeah....that worked out real well ...ask the owners who were doing trannies at 100k for a couple grand. It's all hype....just like the sham -wow guy in the infomercials.

me32

1000 Post Club
It depends how many miles a year you drive. I change the oil on my GT500 once a year. Mind you i drive it less than 5000 a year. I would like to know how much better the new formula over mobil 1 extended performance and there desiel mobil 1 5w-40.

OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
We don't change the oil because it "wears out." We change the oil because it gets dirty... and dirt is very abrasive.

How often oil needs changing is a factor of how you drive, what kind of oil is used, etc. Still, waiting for such long intervals seems like it would have to be bad for the long-term health of the engine. I've settled on a 5,000 mile interval if using high quality full synthetic oil and not doing any sort of beyond-normal driving, ie autoX. I've seen many engines get killed much sooner than they should have by going too long between changes. I'd rather pay a little extra to keep it running. It takes a lot of oil changes to add up to a $5k engine replacement bill, after all.

Last edited:

grnmachine02

So slightly off topic, kinda. I work in the small engine world. Mowers, chainsaws, that kind of thing. Toro's new residential push mower claims "never change the oil, just top off." AKA "this Briggs engine is an oil burning piece of shit" granted, they all are, but at least they're honest about this one.

So slightly off topic, kinda. I work in the small engine world. Mowers, chainsaws, that kind of thing. Toro's new residential push mower claims "never change the oil, just top off." AKA "this Briggs engine is an oil burning piece of shit" granted, they all are, but at least they're honest about this one.
Classic!
BTW, I voted no in the poll

There are many things that contribute to oil life. Think about this, how long has the standard 3000 mile interval been around, hell back in the day they didn't even change filters at times. It was only 10 years ago manufactures started pushing 5K plus and oil has come a long way since then. From my own personal experience I advise twice a year at least, even if the car sits for most of it.

The great thing living in this time and age is that there should be no more myths if you trust oil annalists. You can send the oil out and they can determine the best course of action, too soon, not enough, what metals and so forth. So to say this is hogwash would be very na?ve with out proving otherwise but to trust it 100% would be as well as every ones driving habits and circumstances are different. Just living in New England classifies maintenance schedules under extreme use lol but it seems they invested in the biggest problem when it comes to oil and longevity and that is the additive break down properties.

That all being said you really can't change your oil too much.

Sounds like an Amsoil AD. They've been doing this stuff for years, nothing new. Like Crookedletta said, get an analysis of your oil and determine whats best for your car before blindly following any advertisement. Especially if the interval is that long.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
My mother in law's car is 3 years old, driven 30 miles a week and has 4300 miles on it. I am sure it would be OK for her car and many others like her to go a full year. I think that the older crowd drives less and much easier on the car and are the true target of the ads, not a high performance car. Unlike this old guy that did 450 miles on E. TN backroads this week! perma-grin is slowly receding....[hihi]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
NO MATTER how great the oil, or which driving conditions/styles, I don't know if I would ever trust even a 10K mile OCI on a DI, turbo engine like ours. [nono]

Now, XOM may have loaded up this new formula with crazy levels of detergent/dispersents, anti-wear/anti-friction additives, and pushed the starting TBN to 15+ for all I know, but that STILL does not nullify all of the fuel dilution/moisture and acids formed over the miles (even if most of them were highway/hot running miles), especially in a DI engine.

This is bad information to get into people's heads. I've done oil changes on cars that have gone 15000 miles since the last change. Saying that there was 2 quarts of oil that came out of the pan may be generous for some of these cars. Engines consume oil, filters get plugged.

me32

1000 Post Club
NO MATTER how great the oil, or which driving conditions/styles, I don't know if I would ever trust even a 10K mile OCI on a DI, turbo engine like ours. [nono]

Now, XOM may have loaded up this new formula with crazy levels of detergent/dispersents, anti-wear/anti-friction additives, and pushed the starting TBN to 15+ for all I know, but that STILL does not nullify all of the fuel dilution/moisture and acids formed over the miles (even if most of them were highway/hot running miles), especially in a DI engine.
I do 10k oil changes on my ST. Change filter every 5k. I use mobil 1 extended performance 5w-20. The oil analysis came back fine. The only way to truly know is to get your oil analyzed.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I do 10k oil changes on my ST. Change filter every 5k. I use mobil 1 extended performance 5w-20. The oil analysis came back fine. The only way to truly know is to get your oil analyzed.
CORRECT, if you had multiple UOAs done, and they came back fine (or even with reserve capacity left on the oil), you are good to go! [thumb]

I just know that for my driving conditions/use, even using an EP oil (which is what is in the sump right now, Edge EP Titanium), it would be too far.

Which filters are you using?

me32

1000 Post Club
CORRECT, if you had multiple UOAs done, and they came back fine (or even with reserve capacity left on the oil), you are good to go! [thumb]

I just know that for my driving conditions/use, even using an EP oil (which is what is in the sump right now, Edge EP Titanium), it would be too far.

Which filters are you using?
I do agree with you. You need to do a few UOA's just to make sure everything is going well. My car is a daily driver and some fun runs, but nothing to the extent of hard tracking like some of the other members use.

Im using the motorcraft 910s. Which i change every 5k. Then add some oil to make up the lose from changing the filter.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^That makeup oil, as little as it might be, also helps 'refresh' all of the add packs of the 5K mile old oil you are adding it to, which is a GOOD thing. [thumb]

Quisp

1000 Post Club
There are many things that contribute to oil life. Think about this, how long has the standard 3000 mile interval been around, hell back in the day they didn't even change filters at times. It was only 10 years ago manufactures started pushing 5K plus and oil has come a long way since then. From my own personal experience I advise twice a year at least, even if the car sits for most of it.

The great thing living in this time and age is that there should be no more myths if you trust oil annalists. You can send the oil out and they can determine the best course of action, too soon, not enough, what metals and so forth. So to say this is hogwash would be very na?ve with out proving otherwise but to trust it 100% would be as well as every ones driving habits and circumstances are different. Just living in New England classifies maintenance schedules under extreme use lol but it seems they invested in the biggest problem when it comes to oil and longevity and that is the additive break down properties.

That all being said you really can't change your oil too much.
The 3k oil change intervals ended in the 50's. 69 camaro manual was 6,000. The 3k myth is perpetuated by the quick oil change industry.

The 3k oil change intervals ended in the 50's. 69 camaro manual was 6,000. The 3k myth is perpetuated by the quick oil change industry.
Depends where you live. GM was 3k until 2005 under severe svc measures in New England and then went to 5K. I honestly would never drive a Carbureted vehicle past 3000 miles with out changing the oil unless it was all highway, I mean spark plugs barely lasted past 5K back then LOL