Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Importance of tire category

I am not well versed on the differences between extreme performance summer vs max performance summer vs ultra high performance.. imagine tire wear and rain tolerance.

My question to forum is: how critical are the categories? I saw a ultra high performance summer tire from tire rack really cheap vs all seasons.

Would the Michelin AS/3+ being a quality all season have less grip than a cheap UHP tire?

Thanks.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
I want to add a point before the discussion starts. The reason some tires are cheap compared to others are the warranty they offer. Cheap tires (even if good performers) will have no warranty. Warranty tires or things like run flats have a premium price tag.

I am not well versed on the differences between extreme performance summer vs max performance summer vs ultra high performance.. imagine tire wear and rain tolerance.

My question to forum is: how critical are the categories? I saw a ultra high performance summer tire from tire rack really cheap vs all seasons.

Would the Michelin AS/3+ being a quality all season have less grip than a cheap UHP tire?

Thanks.
You are in Miami, there is no reason to have 3 season tires as you have no autumn or spring, just hot or wet... Max performance summers will almost always be the best wet weather tires. All seasons (no-seasons) are not as good in the wet or the dry so don't bother. Ideally you drive fast in the dry and slower in the wet so get the best dry tire and don't compromise for the 20% of the time you actually drive in the rain. The more V the tread is the better water evacuation as an fyi.

If I'm not mistaken, the classifications you mention, as well as the assigned "Treadwear Rating" are set by the manufacturers. So company A's UHP tire may perform less well than company B's Max Performance Summer tire, etc. What's really required is independent testing. I suggest surfing Tire Rack's website (tirerack.com) to get a feeling of how tires compare. There are many comparisons on a number of features and metrics.

My suggestion to you would be to decide what it is you want in a tire and prioritize it: is wet handling that important compared to dry? What about road noise? And, of course, warranty. Warranty is the best indication you get for tire life, when reading labels.

Good luck!

And yes, all seasons are a compromise tire. I'll put them on my wife's cars but never on mine.

OP
B
Thread Starter #6
You are in Miami, there is no reason to have 3 season tires as you have no autumn or spring, just hot or wet... Max performance summers will almost always be the best wet weather tires. All seasons (no-seasons) are not as good in the wet or the dry so don't bother. Ideally you drive fast in the dry and slower in the wet so get the best dry tire and don't compromise for the 20% of the time you actually drive in the rain. The more V the tread is the better water evacuation as an fyi.
Thanks for information. I checked out tire rack also. Puts things in better perspective. I'm definitely leaning towards some form of summer tire. I have all season Falken Ziex 950, that is what came on the car when I got it. So, I feel I haven't scrated the surface on what this car can really do.