Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Very happy with Koni STR.T's

I installed a set of Koni STR.T struts and shocks about three months ago and would like to report on them.

About me: I'd love to do track days, but don't have time. My ST is my daily driver.
I'm frisky, but not dangerous. Last car was a 2005 Carrera S.

I find the stock setup over-damped, and uncomfortably bouncy on even moderately bad roads.

My first attempt at fixing was buying a set of Sumitomo 215/45R-17 tires ($324 for the set at Tire Rack). This helped a little, but didn't fix it.

I then bought the Koni STR.Ts (Front part #8750-1101L & #8750-1101R, Rear: 8050-1130) for about $288 from Tire Rack.
Installation+alignment was about $400.

I love my car's ride now. It's still sporty but not jarring. I haven't observed any issues while cornering. I have cornered reasonably hard, but not at the limit. I've done high-speed descents (up to about 90 mph) on interstates and the stability is fine.

With the larger tires, I think I heard a rub one or two times when I go over an extremely harsh bump while the wheel isn't straight. In my mind, this is a complete non-issue. No rubbing has been observed going over speed bumps without slowing down.

In summary: two thumbs up for the Koni's. This is how Ford should have set up the suspension from the start.

Best review of the STR.Ts on our cars that I've seen. Thank you and please keep us up to date on your impressions!

I'm looking for a way to improve the ride without significantly affecting handling for street use (I don't track/autocross), and your review of the Konis looks like what I am looking for. However, some on here have reported that the Konis on the front lead to a "floaty" behavior at highway speeds. Have you ever encountered thus? I think that some who reported this were not on stock springs - you are on stock springs, right?

I'm looking for a way to improve the ride without significantly affecting handling for street use (I don't track/autocross), and your review of the Konis looks like what I am looking for. However, some on here have reported that the Konis on the front lead to a "floaty" behavior at highway speeds. Have you ever encountered thus? I think that some who reported this were not on stock springs - you are on stock springs, right?

I think floaty behavior came from koni str.t that were designed for regular fiesta but now Koni makes shocks specifically for ST model. When I ordered mine from lmperformance they had two versions - Catalog # 00708163 (Koni 8050-1130 Model Fitment Application: Ford Fiesta ST excl. standard Fiesta models; Rear) and Catalog # 00708157 (Koni 8050-1130 Ford Fiesta excl. ST model; Rear). When I get rear shocks installed, I will report back.

Last edited:
OP
F
Thread Starter #6
The suspension is completely stock except for the Koni struts and rear shocks. I don't notice any "float" at speed. As I said, this is the best thing I've done to my ST. After getting them installed, I actually went looking for bumps because I was so impressed.

OP
F
Thread Starter #7
Correct. The fronts are non "ST" because there's no mount for the brake damper. I haven't noticed any adverse behavior from not having the damper installed.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
So, the yellows for the base fit the ST?
+1! I'd like a double check on this as well! ;)

IF by "brake dampers" people are talking about those weights bolted to the strut, that does not matter to me since I am going to take those off of my factory struts anyway.

But IF the Koni Sport yellows for the base, non-ST Fiestas are actually valved a significant amount softer on compression, and a softer range on the adjustable rebound, than even what is needed for our factory springs, then I will think twice about using them in the future for a coil over conversion on them.

I think a call to Lee Grimes is in order.

OP
F
Thread Starter #10
The Koni STR.T's are orange, not yellow. I have the orange, and am extremely happy. As I understand it, the yellow sports have more damping that the STR.Ts even on the soft setting.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The Koni STR.T's are orange, not yellow. I have the orange, and am extremely happy. As I understand it, the yellow sports have more damping that the STR.Ts even on the soft setting.
Understood (I have been dealing with Koni dampers for various rides for longer than most on this site have been alive).

I was asking about the more aggressively valved, rebound adjustable, Sport (yellow) dampers for our platform, since that is also what Animal Mother was asking about (and yes, we are slightly [offtopic]).

Koni also makes an 'adaptive' type damper as well, their FSD line, which will probably never be offered for our app. [:(]

OP
F
Thread Starter #12
Very cool! I don't know. Maybe I'm getting old, but the STR.T's are great, and that's coming from someone who formerly had a Carrera S. Anyhow, would love the adaptive dampers. But what I really really want is a Fiesta RS. Oh yeah.

Thanks for posting this, fiesty_st. I just bought a 2016 ST with the factory 17 inch wheels and after 3 days of driving on our TERRIBLE upstate NY roads my back and neck hurt so much I am second-guessing the decision. I love the car outside of the overly bouncy ride. Your review gives me hope that swapping to the orange Koni STR.Ts will make it tolerable. Do you think changing wheels and tires to smaller diameter bigger sidewalls (16s or 15s) would be a good move too, or just try the Konis out first?

I changed my tires to 215/45/17 - Michelin SS, it helped but not much on rough roads. I would say shocks make biggest difference from reading people's feedback.

I changed my tires to 215/45/17 - Michelin SS, it helped but not much on rough roads. I would say shocks make biggest difference from reading people's feedback.
Thanks for the feedback. The STR.Ts are inexpensive enough (and my back and neck are worth it, LOL) to give that a try first. One more question to the forum - I think i recall reading elsewhere that just changing the rears made a big difference. Any thought to just starting there, or would that be a mistake and I should just do all four corners with the orange STR.Ts and be done with it?

Thanks for the feedback. The STR.Ts are inexpensive enough (and my back and neck are worth it, LOL) to give that a try first. One more question to the forum - I think i recall reading elsewhere that just changing the rears made a big difference. Any thought to just starting there, or would that be a mistake and I should just do all four corners with the orange STR.Ts and be done with it?
My opinion is that as long as the fronts are not leaking or just plain worn out don't change the fronts. But change the backs as soon as you've got enough cash in your car upgrade fund.

I'm also starting with rear first, it takes less than an hour and you won't need alignment. But if you change the fronts, you will need alignment as well.

The stock ST wheels are heavy, so changing to a lightweight 16" with taller profile (to maintain same rolling circumference) will help with the ride without too much of a handling compromise.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
I'm also starting with rear first, it takes less than an hour and you won't need alignment. But if you change the fronts, you will need alignment as well.
Incorrect - you're not changing the springs which dictate ride height which, when changed, required an alignment.

I've had my STR.T's for quite some time and I love them - great for gravel / washboard or just shitty roads. Makes this car bearable with my bad back! I love it too much to let it go and didn't have the coin for coilovers.

Last edited:
Can someone list the part numbers for the STR.Ts, fronts and rears, for the ST (mine's 2016, but I don't think that matters). Thanks!