Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Help - Scary Grinding Noise - Video

I came back from the track and my engine was idling a little rough. I have all 3 upgraded motor mounts, so I normally get a constant vibration in the steering wheel (and the whole car). But with the rough idle, the steering wheel would be dead still for 1 or 2 seconds, then vibrate harder than it normally would. Back and forth. Back and forth.

I changed my oil today thinking that might help, and this was the noise it was making.

Ive got an oil sample being sent off to Blackstone. But any info is appreciated.[thumb]

[video]https://youtu.be/weCworCWcJg[/video]

Ouch. Still under warranty right? Take it to the dealer man.. I bet it's something dumb.

Edit: I'm sorry that I can't help with the sound, but the idle doesn't sound crazy or anything, and I don't hear what sounds to me as internal issues. It definitely sounds like an accessory, maybe some old guy can chime in.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
If it is cyclic like you described look at the alternator, the AC compressor and the radiator fan. Those cycle on and off. Maybe something caught in the fan shroud? But it almost sounds like the starter is stuck on or a bad idler/tensioner pulley. Good luck

I know we all hate taking our cars to the dealer and we try to avoid it at all costs, but if you need a good dealer recommendation, and I don't know how Sunnyvale or Capitol Ford service is, but I take my Fiesta to Fremont Ford. I have had success with them. They do all of my oil changes (I change my own oil between intervals, but I use Ford service for the service records) and they have never miffed it. Installed a Fumoto valve, just so that way there's one less bolt for them to touch. I've poked around the dealership and have made friends with the parts counter and a tech or two, so they see my car around and can put a face to it, I feel it helps.

Most recently I had an ABS/ESC issue (ABS and traction control lights both on, ABS regulator regulating all the time), and they diagnosed it as the left rear ABS reluctor ring and/or ABS sensor. Despite the modified suspension, new multi-pattern hubs, and even my track numbers being in the car at the time of service, they never once questioned. They just ordered what they needed to, replaced the sensor and reluctor ring, even put me in a rental for a couple days.

I highly recommend Fremont Ford. Talk to Shawn in Service.

Do you still have boost? From the video, at work and can't hear the best, it could be a charge pipe has popped off.