Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Economical wheels for DD and a little Autocross

I'm looking for an inexpensive set of 16x7 wheels for DD and maybe a few autocross events for fun.

Has anyone had or personally seen wheels like Sparco or even wheels as cheap as Sport Edition have issues at an autocross event?

Interested in:

Sparco Assetto Gara: owned a set before, never raced on them. Seemed to be of good quality.

Sport Edition P5: very affordable. Low pressure cast, possibly stronger than Sparco or other inexpensive wheels???

No issues. Both good. SE wheels are strong and cheap... and the wheels Ive seen most often used in that size for autoX

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
I love my Sparco Terras, they are cheap (for what they are) quality wheels and lighter than stock. Plus the 16" size gives more tire options.

Mine have been moved to Winter duty but they are great wheels.

OP
M
Thread Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

I liked the assetto garas I had on my WRX. But I can save $120 if I go with the SE P5. I might have the center caps painted lol. I like that they are listed as low pressure cast tho.

Thinking of getting 205/45-16 Bridgestone re760 sport tires. They seem to be a little more forgiving. Anyone had them?

The most "economical" choice is what was bolted to the car when you bought it. They were included in the deal. If wheels are the only planned change, I do not see any advantage to spending any big money. In fact, used wheels with new, premium grade tires, would be the best choice IMHO.

OP
M
Thread Starter #7
I am really looking at wheels so I can drop down from the 17s cause the roads here are so bad I've spent $400 in getting the stock wheels straightened. But I don't want to switch back and forth for AX or have to buy two sets of tires. AX will just be for fun, not even attempting to be competitive.

Autocross is not the main motiviation for new wheels.

I'll definitely check out the classifieds for used wheels before I buy new ones. Good suggestion.

Clean. Straight and used is the least costly.....

The SE wheels or Pep boys type equivalent wheel are ok when new. But, they don't have a very good paint Finnish and they will corrode badly when chipped or scraped and then exposed to salty slop of winter. I have personally experienced this. So, new cheap is not always much better than used and cheaper.