Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

V8 Engine swap idea

so I know a guy with a ford Windsor motor and accompanying stuff and had an idea of how plausible it would be to fit into a 2016 FiST. This is a real idea but wanted to ask for more input and ideas and a realistic price range of what could happen, any input is appreciated.

LoL I was just talking about this with my Co-worker who just brought in a 390 to build.

Honestly it can be stupid money. The first being the price of the car (cool but consider it a lost investment doing this kind of mod) and the second would be associated parts and labor. I have seen some builds like a 5.0 Focus done for around 10K I want to say, and then I have seen a fully redone Balt SS/dragster which was reaching 200k+. Really depends how crazy you want to go but something like the Focus has kits available, I don't think there are any Fiesta kits out there.

The First step would be to take measurements as well, the engine bay isn't exactly roomy. The next step would be to figure mounting points for the engine, trans, and rear end. this is all stuff that has to be considered. Remember the engine may fit but only to find you lost the passenger seat and half your leg room to the bellhousing.

Remember anything is doable, just comes down to time and money both of which you will need.

you'd probably have to cut the front end of the car off and fabricate a longer tube front. anything is possible if you can fabricate your own parts or know how to weld.

OP
Kinnaird
Thread Starter #4
theoretically have the car ad engine , would switch and make it awd so I knew a new or reinforced chassis and transmission would be necessary, dont mind losing the passenger seat if I an keep the rear and if it can be done for under 10k or around, that just might make I worth it to say I got a v8 fiesta and would make a hilarious sleeper

theoretically have the car ad engine , would switch and make it awd so I knew a new or reinforced chassis and transmission would be necessary, dont mind losing the passenger seat if I an keep the rear and if it can be done for under 10k or around, that just might make I worth it to say I got a v8 fiesta and would make a hilarious sleeper
You lost at AWD. There would be no financially sound way to incorporate AWD at that targeted price point.

I honestly would just find a MK1 Focus for under a 1000k and go at it. Not as cool as a Fiesta but a proven point and pretty close in terms of what the MK7 Fiesta is.

Remember just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should. Once you start you can't really go back easily lol.

OP
Kinnaird
Thread Starter #8
well then a v8 front wheel drive don't sound too bad haha

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Everything posted so far and more, mainly huge cost in time and effort, not quite as bad as the Viper V10 in the back seat of a PT Cruiser I saw at the SEMA show years ago but just the wrong platform and engine combo.

Far more viable to me was the Nissan engineers build of a Juke on a highly modded GTR chassis.

I have worked on some pretty crazy things like C5 Vette with 53 Studebaker body but it was a good combination, stuffing a big lump in the front of a tiny car like ours would make it totally out of balance.

It would need to be mounted front to rear, become rear wheel drive, engine set back if you want it to handle so the HVAC would need moved or deleted, transmission tunnel created, new sub frames, etc........

The only positive thing I can think of is it would be unique, if you want to do it go right ahead of course do so, your dime (tens of thousands of them) and your time, at least 1,000 hours properly done:)

No offense meant in the least but it seems you might be not well versed in such matters or want to stir up some jabbering about something not worth doing or possibly a spoiled rich kid with big ideas for dad's money. Just messing with you a bit here, why I said no offense meant:)

OP
Kinnaird
Thread Starter #19
Everything posted so far and more, mainly huge cost in time and effort, not quite as bad as the Viper V10 in the back seat of a PT Cruiser I saw at the SEMA show years ago but just the wrong platform and engine combo.

Far more viable to me was the Nissan engineers build of a Juke on a highly modded GTR chassis.

I have worked on some pretty crazy things like C5 Vette with 53 Studebaker body but it was a good combination, stuffing a big lump in the front of a tiny car like ours would make it totally out of balance.

It would need to be mounted front to rear, become rear wheel drive, engine set back if you want it to handle so the HVAC would need moved or deleted, transmission tunnel created, new sub frames, etc........

The only positive thing I can think of is it would be unique, if you want to do it go right ahead of course do so, your dime (tens of thousands of them) and your time, at least 1,000 hours properly done:)

No offense meant in the least but it seems you might be not well versed in such matters or want to stir up some jabbering about something not worth doing or possibly a spoiled rich kid with big ideas for dad's money. Just messing with you a bit here, why I said no offense meant:)
no offense taken at all I am just a complete novice at such things. I just have ideas and like uniqueness, like before I had a 2001 Chevy s10 extreme and wanted to cut the whole top and make it all glass, plausibility? probably none, but I think it'd be cool. but I have never been a car guy but want to learn for the sake of this car, also not rich by any means but if it could've been done in stages, that's more realistic

antarctica24

any particular reason why?
If I may, having done many v8 swaps, There really is just not enough car to make it sound. Look at the link and what had to be done to the car to beef it up. The real to have motor in this car is the 2.3 ecoboost. Weight ratio is about the same as the 1.6 size is just about the same, and more material inside the cylinder walls. Not to mention the size of turbo you could make work with that motor. Your suspension will be ok with that motor, and you will not have to deal with the whole computer thing and potential heat problems. You simply could get you a 2.3 Ecoboost out of the junk yard, and if you wanted new, you are still under 7K. Mounting brackets should be about the same or in the general vicinity and the car would scream. And no weird transmission mounts or conversion kits, The stock transmission would work with the 2.3. Many hear disagree with my assessment of what the body can handle and that is ok. But in my opinion, the 2.3 ecoboost is the must have in this car.