Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Kosei K5R vs Rota Titan: difference in quality?

I have a new set of the Kosei K5Rs waiting to install when my tires need replacement.

I recently saw a forum member with the Rota Titans wheels on his Magnetic Gray FiST and it looks awesome. My car is tuxedo black so maybe they might not look as quite good but...

Is there a quality difference between the two brands? The weights are similar and a lot lighter than the OEM wheels.

Thoughts?

I have a new set of the Kosei K5Rs waiting to install when my tires need replacement.

I recently saw a forum member with the Rota Titans wheels on his Magnetic Gray FiST and it looks awesome. My car is tuxedo black so maybe they might not look as quite good but...

Is there a quality difference between the two brands? The weights are similar and a lot lighter than the OEM wheels.

Thoughts?
I just picked up the Kosei's from another member! I dont know the difference between these and the Rota's, I do know that the Kosei's are a lot lighter than stock. Here are a couple of pics for you to see what they look like on a Black car.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
The Kosei is flow formed which is close to forged in strength allowing weight savings as well so most likely stronger and lower weight means an improvement in all aspects in performance, ride quality and less wear on the chassis.

Rota wheels are decent but a well made flow formed wheel is just better in every way expect appearance in some cases and sizes, wider can be better for a particular appication.

Kosei K5Rs are 17 x 7, Rota Titans can be had in 17 x 7.5 or 17 x 8 with a 40mm offset = a little further out. So sizes are also something to consider. The K5Rs are quality but remember, no center caps if that matters to you. I had to replace one from hitting a pothole, so don't think they are that indestructible. They now are very hard to find.

I am soon to put on a new rim set up that I have not seen anyone with...Top Secret. It took me a couple of months to get them and they will be installed on Monday!

Attachments

caliboy15

Kosei K5Rs are 17 x 7, Rota Titans can be had in 17 x 7.5 or 17 x 8 with a 40mm offset = a little further out. So sizes are also something to consider. The K5Rs are quality but remember, no center caps if that matters to you. I had to replace one from hitting a pothole, so don't think they are that indestructible. They now are very hard to find.

I am soon to put on a new rim set up that I have not seen anyone with...Top Secret. It took me a couple of months to get them and they will be installed on Monday!
Kosei K1 Racing?

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
I love my Rota Titans. As mentioned (and obviously) the Rotas will be lower quality since they are not flow formed but by no means bad quality in general. Also, sizes vary with 17x7.5 +40 or 17x8. My 17x8's weigh 17 lbs a piece, so still 5+ pounds lighter than stock and an inch wider to boot!

The Kosei wheels like mentioned are discontinued and will be harder to find. The Rotas can be found all day on eBay and are quite cheap at $700 shipped for the set.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
The Titans look great and I am all for 8" wide, weight is very good for the size and price as well.
I know some other and probably earlier Rota wheels had cracking issues but I would imagine that has been solved and the Titan is a much stronger design, more spokes, out the the rim edge, better when done right.

If they made them in 16x8 it would perfect for this car as save a bit more weight, more sidewall for more rim protection, better ride and with right tires less road noise due to less tranfer of road surface energy into the chassis which makes a big difference in cabin noise.

BUT, glad you guys have some bolt on reasonable price choices and this one is pretty damn nice:)

Rick

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
The Titans look great and I am all for 8" wide, weight is very good for the size and price as well.
I know some other and probably earlier Rota wheels had cracking issues but I would imagine that has been solved and the Titan is a much stronger design, more spokes, out the the rim edge, better when done right.

If they made them in 16x8 it would perfect for this car as save a bit more weight, more sidewall for more rim protection, better ride and with right tires less road noise due to less tranfer of road surface energy into the chassis which makes a big difference in cabin noise.

BUT, glad you guys have some bolt on reasonable price choices and this one is pretty damn nice:)

Rick

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Just a note about extensions, they are a nice cosmetic addition but not really going to do much else and the one that looks more like a Guerney flap, sticking up instead of back, is going to cause a lot of turbulence and drag.

This one likely does little of anything but does look cool:)

Just a note about extensions, they are a nice cosmetic addition but not really going to do much else and the one that looks more like a Guerney flap, sticking up instead of back, is going to cause a lot of turbulence and drag.

This one likely does little of anything but does look cool:)
Its cosmetic... I don't race my car, as I drive on public roads.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Totally cool with that, just wanted to make sure you know as some parts are sold with a bit misleading or left out info.

If you did want to make it work better you could do as I was and might still do, my way will be simple, cheap and pretty easy and look good.

I will fill the top of the spoiler from leading edge to rear with a sheet of black ABS plastic and then I might put on a Guerney flap. This would not cause much drag and would induce a bit of useful downforce, not much but some at least.

I think I mentioned this already, I really like the look of the wheels you picked for your car:)

OP
Cerberus
Thread Starter #20

Your K5R's look great! I will install mine probably after the summer when my tires at least come close to the wear bars.

Look forward to seeing you Top Secret wheels.

However, I still have Titan envy for now. They just look right on the FiST.

Last edited: