Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford dealer fixed a problem under warranty caused by a aftermarket part

So I had a MBRP cat back installed on my 2016 Fiesta St a month or so ago. Has been rattling like a bitch and driving my crazy. Looked at all the hangers and at the other common places people have issues with and could not figure it out. I work at a car dealership right next to a Ford store so I figured I would roll the dice and take it in for them to look at it. Now this is the dealer who will be installing my mountune intercooler and mountune downpipe so I figured they are a bit mod friendly. I have my BOV installed and a Injen intake on my car. Uninstaled the Cobb Ap and droped it off 10:00 AM this morning and get a call at 1:30. Service advisor told me the rattle was being caused by the aftermarket exhaust. Told me they would tweak some things and maybe cut a factory hanger and asked if I wanted to move forward. I said go for it. Picked it up at 3:35 and it was free of charge covered under warranty. I know its not a big ticket job but its just nice to have a Ford dealer right next to me that is mod friendly. Oh and they aren't a Ford Racing dealer btw

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Good story. Wonder how to tell if my local dealer is mod friendly, without them noting it in their system to not support me anymore if they arnt.

OP
RobbyD
Thread Starter #3
Good story. Wonder how to tell if my local dealer is mod friendly, without them noting it in their system to not support me anymore if they arnt.
No way of knowing unfortunately. It helps to find a cool service advisor. I use the same guy every time. Get to know them don't just call when your cars needs work.

My friend that I told my plan to said I was crazy and told me "you will void your warranty". Unfortunately a lot of people think like he does. I explained to him even if they don't cover it and make notes in the system that it's a system aftermarket exhaust that doesn't void the entire warranty. They could choose not to fix any exhausted related problems down the road. It the rest of my covered parts would be fine.

My brother lives in Crystal Beach.....I should drive over from Miami!!!! A good dealer is hard to find....which dealer? Years ago my brother bought an SVT Contour at Karl Flammer Ford.

OP
RobbyD
Thread Starter #8
My brother lives in Crystal Beach.....I should drive over from Miami!!!! A good dealer is hard to find....which dealer? Years ago my brother bought an SVT Contour at Karl Flammer Ford.
lol I live 5 mins from there. Ferman Ford is where I took it

My Ford dealer diagnosed an ABS & traction lights fully illuminated error, and fixed a rear ABS reluctor ring and tossed on a new ABS sensor all under warranty.

Car has coilovers and dual bolt pattern hub swap (meaning basically I tambered with it and likely broke it myself), and I even had my track numbers sitting on my backseat too.

Oh and about ECU flashes, I leave Cobb AP installed when visiting the dealer. I even leave the performance map installed too. Although, I do take the AP out of the car with me and I disconnect and tuck away the cable.

No way of knowing unfortunately. It helps to find a cool service advisor. I use the same guy every time. Get to know them don't just call when your cars needs work.

My friend that I told my plan to said I was crazy and told me "you will void your warranty". Unfortunately a lot of people think like he does. I explained to him even if they don't cover it and make notes in the system that it's a system aftermarket exhaust that doesn't void the entire warranty. They could choose not to fix any exhausted related problems down the road. It the rest of my covered parts would be fine.

Please don't assume that because your dealer work that way that all dealers will. I can assure you that most dealers in my city will take any opportunity to not cover warranty repairs if they can. They will blame any aftermarket parts even if there is absolutely not link between them and the issue to fix.

OP
RobbyD
Thread Starter #11
Please don't assume that because your dealer work that way that all dealers will. I can assure you that most dealers in my city will take any opportunity to not cover warranty repairs if they can. They will blame any aftermarket parts even if there is absolutely not link between them and the issue to fix.
My experience with them was the opposite from all the other stories I have heard from other Ford dealers, that why I thought I would share the story.

My experience with them was the opposite from all the other stories I have heard from other Ford dealers, that why I thought I would share the story.

I have never had an issue with the dealer not covering a warranty item due to my car being modified. That does not mean they can't or won't in the future. If you develop a relationship, as someone else stated earlier, with your dealer you are generally treated respectfully and without hassle.

With that said, everyone should be cautious and be aware of the risk...

For confirmation of what has recently been stated with gardsre to relationship building.. it really helps. And as a quick aside, that goes for much of life in general I'm sure we'll all agree.

The dealer I go to I happen to already bring my work truck to. So they see me around. I book appointments online, and always with the same advisor. I always shake the advisors hand and greet with a smile, make small talk, ask how the family is doing before telling them what I want from them. This alone probably gets me where I want to go.

To boot, I didn't even buy the car here! Mattafack it's still got dealer display plates from the OTHER dealer and they STILL take care of me. Well taken care of by this particular advisor, at this particular dealership, I should clarify. Now, I would never in a million years think that I can take my issues to a random dealership where I'm some Joe Bloe and expect for them to bend over backwards.

If I were to move and be forced to visit another dealership for service, I probably expect things not to go well for me.

OP
RobbyD
Thread Starter #16
For confirmation of what has recently been stated with gardsre to relationship building.. it really helps. And as a quick aside, that goes for much of life in general I'm sure we'll all agree.

The dealer I go to I happen to already bring my work truck to. So they see me around. I book appointments online, and always with the same advisor. I always shake the advisors hand and greet with a smile, make small talk, ask how the family is doing before telling them what I want from them. This alone probably gets me where I want to go.

To boot, I didn't even buy the car here! Mattafack it's still got dealer display plates from the OTHER dealer and they STILL take care of me. Well taken care of by this particular advisor, at this particular dealership, I should clarify. Now, I would never in a million years think that I can take my issues to a random dealership where I'm some Joe Bloe and expect for them to bend over backwards.

If I were to move and be forced to visit another dealership for service, I probably expect things not to go well for me.
You pretty much just nailed everything on the head! The dealer I use is not the one I bought my car from too. I'm in sales so I'm a people person. Always super friendly and always chat before I get into the reason I'm there. I always use the same advisor and he knows me by name. It helps that I work next door and I can pop in here and there just to say hi. So far they have been willing to work with me on everything from installing a racing down pipe to helping me on the exhaust rattle. Looks like I found a keeper lol