Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turbo timers

Just running it by the community. Does this kp39 turbo need a turbo timer. I'm a bit worried the oil could be "coking" in the oil drain line.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Brura22

Just running it by the community. Does this kp39 turbo need a turbo timer. I'm a bit worried the oil could be "coking" in the oil drain line.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
No one has had that problem yet. Atleast that I know of.
And I know people at 80k miles on turbo upgrades

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A7xogg

Just idle for 30 seconds or so after you drive somewhere if your worried about that. Thats all a turbo timer does is idle the car for an extra amount of time after you turn the ignition off

I just baby the car from the main intersection near my house until I get to my garage. To me it should be plenty cool by then.
I probably don't have to but, I don't like to put her away wet. Like said above you can just let it idle if you are really paranoid.
It is easy to do if you turn off your car last, just get your stuff together, unplug your phone and all that crap then turn it off.

With these water cooled turbos it should not be a big issue apparently, they start cycling water in reverse after shutoff to cool down much faster then a old oil cooled turbo. I remember discussion about this subject around the forums a while back and someone explained it a lot better then I am. Just drive normal the last little bit before you turn it off and you should be fine.

With these water cooled turbos it should not be a big issue apparently, they start cycling water in reverse after shutoff to cool down much faster then a old oil cooled turbo. I remember discussion about this subject around the forums a while back and someone explained it a lot better then I am. Just drive normal the last little bit before you turn it off and you should be fine.
I thought this has been the case for over a decade. Turbo timers are for the 90's cars.

Water cooling has been the way to go since at least the mid 2000s but I don't know if those early cars were designed with water boiling and circulating after shutoff in mind.