Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

High Performance Wet Tires

Just looking for reviews for a high performance tire(not AS) for 3 season use. Will be using dedicated winter tires so really just want something for the rain storms we see in the NE.
Will be riding on 215/40-17 so I know from the start the options are limited...[sadpanda]

An amazing all around tire and one that excels in wet weather performance is the PSS. I don't think they make it in that size though.

If you're dead set on that size, I know the Yokohama AD-08r is available. Loved that tire until the last 1/4 of the tread. great in the wet, quiet for a max performance tire. But if you're not going to be autox or HPDE with the car, then the new Conti Sport or the PSS would do you well..

Honestly, I don't think you are going to find anything better than a ultra high performance all season for a spring + fall + summer tire. Summer tires have better wet grip than AS but go to shit under 45 degrees. Winter tires go to shit above 45 degrees.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
An amazing all around tire and one that excels in wet weather performance is the PSS. I don't think they make it in that size though.
NO, they do NOT, because IF they did, I would have a set of those GOLD STANDARD donuts waiting to go on my wheels! [mad]

The Contis are also NOT made in that size, as well as most other tires we like/love.

As much as I am not a fan of them, the Yoko S.Drives look to be about the best pure summer UHP which will be very good in the wet, available in that EXACT size.

But, as enamelizer stated above, being pure summer performance tires, they will turn to blocks of ice below 45*-50* F ambient temps. [:(]

NO, they do NOT, because IF they did, I would have a set of those GOLD STANDARD donuts waiting to go on my wheels! [mad]

The Contis are also NOT made in that size, as well as most other tires we like/love.

As much as I am not a fan of them, the Yoko S.Drives look to be about the best pure summer UHP which will be very good in the wet, available in that EXACT size.

But, as enamelizer stated above, being pure summer performance tires, they will turn to blocks of ice below 45*-50* F ambient temps. [:(]
Lets hope they do in then in the new PS4 :)

Winter tires go to shit above 45 degrees.
False. This used to be the case. but with advances in rubber compounds, I would have no hesitation to drive year round on snows if I only wanted to have 1 set of tires.
They may not be as good as a set of dedicated summer tires, but the tires themselves and the tread is no different in hot weather than cold. the compound obviously works a tad better in cold conditions, but they don't "wear faster when it gets warm/hot out" like a lot of people tend to spread the bad rumor of....

False. This used to be the case. but with advances in rubber compounds, I would have no hesitation to drive year round on snows if I only wanted to have 1 set of tires.
They may not be as good as a set of dedicated summer tires, but the tires themselves and the tread is no different in hot weather than cold. the compound obviously works a tad better in cold conditions, but they don't "wear faster when it gets warm/hot out" like a lot of people tend to spread the bad rumor of....
YMMV I guess. I run winter tires every year and can't wait to get them off once the ski season is over. Much happier with an A/S tire in the cold, wet winters we have here.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^This is especially true for a VERY winter performance biased, but "all weather conditions" labelled 'all season' tire like the Nokian WR G2/3s. ;)

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I just spent a rather snowy for here winter in northern NV, did not drive in more than a little snow but quite a bit in rain, cold weather, etc on the NeoGen and very impressed, even in warm weather it worked quite well and if pushed and broke loose very linear and easy to correct. Ride is great, noise is great, price is low, but I am on 205/50/15s, not sure how the 17's will work or the sizes. I had Mich PS3 AS before, the top speed rated version and though great grip they were loud and extremely harsh riding, my wife hated them and did not want to be in the car with them on it but loves the car with the 15" NeoGen.

I have had a few hundred sets of wheels and far more tires, meaning I have some experience in this subject as a daily driver, autocrosser, road racer, a bit of rally, etc....49 years and counting.

Just for this car I have had 8 sets of wheels and around 15 sets of tires tires and only 13k miles on the car so a bit of experience on it.

There may be a better tire for you though, I have not used them all obviously:)

Rick

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Based on your recommendation/raves about the Neo Gen, I will probably put them on the factory wheels once the PS AS/3s wear out, as an 'intermediate' tire for cold, DRY (as in NO SNOW!) use in the late fall, and early spring.

But then they would be in a size you HATE (205/40-17), or at least a size which you cannot vouch for their performance. [:(]

I cannot afford, nor STORE a 4th set of wheels/tires, and I want to hold onto the stockers just in case I have to return the car to TOTAL factory, (you are WAY WAY past even the possibility of that point, so it does not matter to you) so I CANNOT go with a 15"/16" set just for this purpose. [wink]

i will replace factory tires with either the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 or Conti Extreme Contact Sport ($70 rebate) in a 205/45-17. They should be perfect for a performance daily driver...

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^BOTH very good, rationally priced, summer tires which I would also consider IF they made them in the sizes I desire. ;) [thumb]

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
If going to stick with 17's, stock wheels or others in 7" wide I would go with the NeoGen in 205/40/17. These tires are quite wide, 215 would be too wide for the that width wheel.

I do not hate 17's, I have ran them and 18's on race cars and had 20's on a murdered out V8 4runner(wanted 18's but no tires that matched my needs in that size at the time)
I just do not like them on this car, 16x8 should of come stock and under 18 lbs and easy to be less than that if Ford really cared about performance more than image on this car when it came to wheel size.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
If going to stick with 17's, stock wheels or others in 7" wide I would go with the NeoGen in 205/40/17. These tires are quite wide, 215 would be too wide for the that width wheel.

I do not hate 17's, I have ran them and 18's on race cars and had 20's on a murdered out V8 4runner(wanted 18's but no tires that matched my needs in that size at the time)
I just do not like them on this car, 16x8 should of come stock and under 18 lbs and easy to be less than that if Ford really cared about performance more than image on this car when it came to wheel size.
The bolded above is at least one thing we are in TOTAL agreement on! [thumb]

When it comes time to replace the factory installed Pilot Sport AS/3s (which you have stated as hating, unless I read that wrong LOL, and which ARE sort of impressive to me for a very 'tready'/highly siped, 500 tread wear rated, all season), I will probably go with the Neo Gens (on YOUR suggestions) in the factory size on the factory wheels as an 'intermediate' use setup. [wink]

I gave up on that size, couldnt find anything I really liked. I am having 205/45/17 Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's mounted up today. Supposedly they are great in the rain.