Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford recalls 440k vehicles due to fire risk

My question is, what do they mean by "frequent" top offs? Ive had to top off my reservoir twice in almost 3 years. Probably close to 20oz in total. Also it runs between 190-205ish just cruising but thats probably normal.

JasonHaven

its not even ALL 2015 only those from Oct 2013 to March 2014. So a bad batch of something. Likely it is being burnt off but because people are not topping up the issue gets bad. That is my guess on the fact they are not replacing anything (like say a water pump or oil cooler) and only adding a low level sensor.
Where are you seeing the build date info for this recall? (Or did I miss it earlier in the thread?)

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Where are you seeing the build date info for this recall? (Or did I miss it earlier in the thread?)
Read a bunch of articles about it today. Always best is to check the ford site with you VIN ( I do it every few months). But the article I read was clear about the date range also quoting Ford has not stated what is the source of coolant lost.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
From cars.com I did correct my original post as I was going from memory. But this still shows a small range overeall.

Vehicles Affected: Approximately 209,000 model-year 2014 Ford Escape SUVs manufactured between Feb. 12, 2013, and Sept. 2, 2014, at the Louisville Assembly Plant in Kentucky; model-year 2014-15 Fiesta ST hatchbacks manufactured between Jan. 22, 2013, and May 27, 2014, at the Cuautitlan Stamping and Assembly Plant in Mexico; model-year 2013-14 Fusion sedans manufactured between Feb. 15, 2012, and June 6, 2014, at the Hermosillo Stamping and Assembly Plant in Mexico; and model-year 2013-15 Transit Connect vans manufactured between June 13, 2013, and Dec. 14, 2014, at the Valencia Assembly Plant in Venezuela
Read more at https://www.cars.com/articles/2013-...it-connect-1420694733115/#ZFEMmW7D5JfeMK3Z.99
https://www.cars.com/articles/2013-2015-ford-escape-fiesta-st-fusion-transit-connect-1420694733115/

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Here is the break down guys....

In/about June/July of 2013 Ford recalled 220,000 escapes for this exact issue. The fix was basically a cover plate that would divert the oil from the cracked head around the turbo so the car would not burn to ash. What they didn't do is ever actually fix the issue. The issue is a poorly designed cooling port inside the cylinder head. It has "localized" over heating. Basically, it only get real hot in one spot due to poor coolant flow. Think of a stream.... along the sides of that stream fish can find calm spots to nest and relax. Same thing. Without coolant flow that one spot on the head over heats and cracks the cylinder head. When it cracks, it actually going all the way up the exterior letting oil seep out of the back of the head and down on top the turbo. This was a problem that ford knew about in June 2013 when they recalled 220,000 1.6L's.

Moving on to the fiesta.... the fiesta ST starting being built in the June/July timeline in 2013. Right when ford already knew, admitted, and was taking active steps to recall 220,000 1.6L's. My car was built in Aug 2013. It's an undeniable FACT that ford knew the problem existed in that time line, all while building and building more 1.6L's that they KNEW would have this same issues because it's literally the same motor off the same shelf.

Is it any wonder the timing of all this ??? Almost exactly 3 years ( approx 36k miles ) from the time these cars were sold/built, this recall comes out. And it's a recall to fix, not the actual issue, but a fix to let you know your about to be hit with a $1500-$4000 repair bill from your dealer. This is NOT a recall to replace the cylinder head, which is the problem. It's a recall for a sensor that will tell you it's time to go buy some lube.

If this doesn't make you start thinking about where your next new car comes from, then I don't know what will.

Personally, I'm going to talk to an attorney next Tuesday to see about getting a check from them for repairs already made with receipts.

And like someone mentioned, I told ford and you guys about this in Feb 2016. Why didn't ford recall 440,000 1.6L's then when all the fiesta ST's were still under warranty ? They knew they built an engine with a faulty cylinder head. They built them anyway. They endangered people's lives in doing so. They then waited until the warranty on almost the fiesta's before issuing a recall in almost April of 2017 !!!?

The fix for this dangerous situation is a new cylinder head. That is what the fix is. They use a different cylinder head casting in the later 2015 cars. Which is why when I replaced my engine, I used a later 2015 engine with the newer cylinder head casting.

There are a couple videos on my YouTube channel of this issue.
https://youtu.be/oqrQyNB_KEY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In/about June/July of 2013 Ford recalled 220,000 escapes for this exact issue. The fix was basically a cover plate that would divert the oil from the cracked head around the turbo so the car would not burn to ash. What they didn't do is ever actually fix the issue. The issue is a poorly designed cooling port inside the cylinder head. It has "localized" over heating. Basically, it only get real hot in one spot due to poor coolant flow. Think of a stream.... along the sides of that stream fish can find calm spots to nest and relax. Same thing. Without coolant flow that one spot on the head over heats and cracks the cylinder head. When it cracks, it actually going all the way up the exterior letting oil seep out of the back of the head and down on top the turbo. This was a problem that ford knew about in June 2013 when they recalled 220,000 1.6L's.

Moving on to the fiesta.... the fiesta ST starting being built in the June/July timeline in 2013. Right when ford already knew, admitted, and was taking active steps to recall 220,000 1.6L's. My car was built in Aug 2013. It's an undeniable FACT that ford knew the problem existed in that time line, all while building and building more 1.6L's that they KNEW would have this same issues because it's literally the same motor off the same shelf.

Is it any wonder the timing of all this ??? Almost exactly 3 years ( approx 36k miles ) from the time these cars were sold/built, this recall comes out. And it's a recall to fix, not the actual issue, but a fix to let you know your about to be hit with a $1500-$4000 repair bill from your dealer. This is NOT a recall to replace the cylinder head, which is the problem. It's a recall for a sensor that will tell you it's time to go buy some lube.

If this doesn't make you start thinking about where your next new car comes from, then I don't know what will.

Personally, I'm going to talk to an attorney next Tuesday to see about getting a check from them for repairs already made with receipts.

And like someone mentioned, I told ford and you guys about this in Feb 2016. Why didn't ford recall 440,000 1.6L's then when all the fiesta ST's were still under warranty ? They knew they built an engine with a faulty cylinder head. They built them anyway. They endangered people's lives in doing so. They then waited until the warranty on almost the fiesta's before issuing a recall in almost April of 2017 !!!?

The fix for this dangerous situation is a new cylinder head. That is what the fix is. They use a different cylinder head casting in the later 2015 cars. Which is why when I replaced my engine, I used a later 2015 engine with the newer cylinder head casting.

There are a couple videos on my YouTube channel of this issue.
https://youtu.be/oqrQyNB_KEY

So after all that did they ever offer any warranty on any of the work? or are you stuck going the legal route?

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Ford won't issue a check for a staple without being released from future liability, so it's got to go the lawyer route

just figured id go out and check, My level is just below Min. Good thing its only 40 in Maine. Looks like i'm going to buy some fluid.

GAbOS

Well this is just shitty. I love the car and will wait to see if any traction can be gained from the legal route to getting us a true, root cause fix. If not, I'm afraid I may just trade it in for something else before it goes kaboom.

OP
jdubs
Thread Starter #32
I have to check yet to see if i'm affected. I am disappointed to see how they're handling this. As sourskittle mentioned, it makes you think twice next time you're car shopping.

You know, i bet a lot of the owners with blown motors are because of this issue and Ford just brushed it off making them pay out of thier own pocket. If Skittle is right and they know about this before hand and still decided to go along with production without fixing anything, then all i have to say is, f@ck you ford!

Edit: just looked at my mfg date and it was 4/14. That puts me in the shit can by only 2 months.... fml

So is there conclusive evidence that this only affects the model years mentioned? Was the head design ever updated to avoid this problem on later models?

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
So is there conclusive evidence that this only affects the model years mentioned? Was the head design ever updated to avoid this problem on later models?
Sourskittle says in Post #25 that the problem was fixed by a new cylinder head casting at some point in the 2015's, so when he replaced his engine he used a later 2015 engine with the newer cylinder head casting. I presume this was carried over into the 2016's, but would like to know this too. My build date is 7/16, so I am thinking I'm OK.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account

Ur absolutely right. That bit about the timing of this recall really makes the point! Do any of us want to keep sinking money into a car built by a company that obviously doesn't give a shit about its customers? What other gotchas await us? Just as i'm nearing having the funds for a hybrid turbo, you come with all this goddam wisdom! :) I do find SOME comfort in knowing that pretty much all work-a-day auto companies would react exactly the same way.

I stopped modding VWs after 11 yrs because of reliability issues that seemed to never end and the non-existent support. Out comes DieselGate and i felt somewhat justified. Then the Mazdaspeed3 had a leaky turbo that owners had a really hard time getting covered under warranty, if at all. BMW, as a luxury car, isn't much better. None really are. Google the E46 M3 subframe issues that BMW is looking the other way about. I figure I'm still going to get that hybrid turbo. I will keep modding my Fix Or Repair Daily because in the end, like most cars, there's more good than bad. Way more in our case. If we spent time looking for the perfect car, we'd end up walking everywhere cuz it doesn't exist.

My rules? Only buy cars with a large, active forum (even my minivan) and never, ever, ever buy on year one of any generation of any brand of car (or bike)!

Ford still sucks big balls for doing this but i've seen it before and will see it again. At least we have a forum where we can discuss solutions to these and other reliability gotchas, like the wonderful weeping axle seals, blown struts, and temperamental touch screens. Happy modding folks! [thumb]

Ford should just suck it up and replace the heads on the vehicles that are within those dates mentioned. Its just not safe and they should've recognized and fixed it, or at least should now. I thought the tick in my motor was from the DI, apparently its a clock counting down the time left on it before she blows.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Conclusive? Maybe Sourskittle can comment as he's held both heads in his hands and may have seen some differences in the castings. What i would love to know is where the hell the coolant is disappearing to? Is it just burning up in the head? If so, eventually the pathways will start to narrow from layer upon layer of dried up coolant. Insignificant at first but coulnd't it be a real problem 100,000 miles down the road? Are guys going to have to start scavenging heads from later model Escapes?

Ur absolutely right. That bit about the timing of this recall really makes the point! Do any of us want to keep sinking money into a car built by a company that obviously doesn't give a shit about its customers? What other gotchas await us? Just as i'm nearing having the funds for a hybrid turbo, you come with all this goddam wisdom! :) I do find SOME comfort in knowing that pretty much all work-a-day auto companies would react exactly the same way.

I stopped modding VWs after 11 yrs because of reliability issues that seemed to never end and the non-existent support. Out comes DieselGate and i felt somewhat justified. Then the Mazdaspeed3 had a leaky turbo that owners had a really hard time getting covered under warranty, if at all. BMW, as a luxury car, isn't much better. None really are. Google the E46 M3 subframe issues that BMW is looking the other way about. I figure I'm still going to get that hybrid turbo. I will keep modding my Fix Or Repair Daily because in the end, like most cars, there's more good than bad. Way more in our case. If we spent time looking for the perfect car, we'd end up walking everywhere cuz it doesn't exist.

My rules? Only buy cars with a large, active forum (even my minivan) and never, ever, ever buy on year one of any generation of any brand of car (or bike)!

Ford still sucks big balls for doing this but i've seen it before and will see it again. At least we have a forum where we can discuss solutions to these and other reliability gotchas, like the wonderful weeping axle seals, blown struts, and temperamental touch screens. Happy modding folks! [thumb]
To be fair, I don't think any company cares about their customers (not really, though they make fake it).

That being said, I really do hope Ford will be forced to fix the root cause of this problem. A few hundred thousand cylinder heads is a drop in the bucket for them.

You're all talking that the recall happened after the 36000miles/60000km warranty, but isn't that covered by the powertrain 60000miles/100000km warranty since it's the freaking engine itself? Powertrain is mostly engine and transmission if I remember correctly?

It's still pretty shitty that they knew about it from the Escape and they continued using the same cylinder head in all of their 1.6T. I'll check my coolant tonight and see where it's sitting at. It's fortunately still fairly cold out here, but this should be fixed.

So the crack in the cylinder head, is it something that we're supposed to be able to see without removing anything? (other than the engine cover obviously)