Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford recalls 440k vehicles due to fire risk

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
This issue won't effect any 2016.
It's nothing you'll ever know or see is happening.
The slow slow loss of coolant is likely caused by the hot spot vaporizing the coolant in that one spot.
There is no "check" for this. You will be driving like normal one day and then.... what is that smell? What is that smoke?

The newer head are easy to identify as they have a sensor on the back of the head on the driver side that is under the black plastic coolant hose ( it's not in the plastic hose/housing, it's on the head ).

And yes... it could happen tomorrow. It could happen at 150k miles. It could never happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Found a 2015 head on ebay, may just buy it and get some cams too... there goes my new turbo money... [bawling]
Make sure they put the cams back in the head and keep all the shim buckets exactly where they go. Also, don't ship the head with the studs still installed.
All the valve train stuff can come out without the cams in. The cam trigger wheel can be damaged by the head bolts if left in.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
You can buy the head from ford for like $600-$700 but you have to pay an engine shop to set it up with the correct shim buckets per the cams that your wanting to use

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Another words.... changing a cylinder head on this car is a monkey F that you and likely no one you know wants to F with. Never mind the $300+ worth of tools.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Now imagine we had one of those new heads that are cast with the manifold as one unit.....like the next FiST.

Another words.... changing a cylinder head on this car is a monkey F that you and likely no one you know wants to F with. Never mind the $300+ worth of tools.

Yea it seems like a headache to do myself. Thanks for the heads up! I hope @Deadhook is up for the task, thats where i planned on sending it. (Fingers crossed)

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
The newer head are easy to identify as they have a sensor on the back of the head on the driver side that is under the black plastic coolant hose ( it's not in the plastic hose/housing, it's on the head ).

Can you snap a picture(s) of said part and said location?

A7xogg

The slow slow loss of coolant is likely caused by the hot spot vaporizing the coolant in that one spot.
There is no "check" for this. You will be driving like normal one day and then.... what is that smell? What is that smoke?

And yes... it could happen tomorrow. It could happen at 150k miles. It could never happen.

Thanks for the clarification between the different cylinder heads

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club

I own a 2016 and noticed a funny smell that I couldn't put my finger on while driving through Tulsa at night. It was around 60 degrees with zero traffic delays. I was left dumb founded, and had no answer for what, or why I was smelling what I was.

With just over 1,000 miles on the odometer, I decided to get the oil changed the next day, and the guy that changed my oil said it looked "milky." He even showed me the dip-stick, but I couldn't even notice what he was talking about. He goes on to say: "If it still looks like this after a couple more oil changes, I'd take it back to the dealer."

I own a 2016 and noticed a funny smell that I couldn't put my finger on while driving through Tulsa at night. It was around 60 degrees with zero traffic delays. I was left dumb founded, and had no answer for what, or why I was smelling what I was.

With just over 1,000 miles on the odometer, I decided to get the oil changed the next day, and the guy that changed my oil said it looked "milky." He even showed me the dip-stick, but I couldn't even notice what he was talking about. He goes on to say: "If it still looks like this after a couple more oil changes, I'd take it back to the dealer."
That's coolant in the oil. Take it to the dealer

This blows! I have a 2014 with 21k miles. My coolant level is right between min and max, but I'm about to order a gallon of the orange motorcraft coolant just to be on the safe side. I live in a VERY hot area, but I haven't had any issues with the car overheating so far. I guess I will just keep my fingers and toes crossed for now.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
For those with the older head-casting, an option for possible consideration, may be to over-cool it.

There are a couple of threads about ForScan. Are there any parameters that can be modified for engine fan on/off temperature or does this require a reflash?

How difficult is it to access and replace the thermostat with a colder temperature? For example if the default is 193?F, would a modded 180?F with a lower engine fan on/off be a good work-around?

Cooler engines aren't good for emissions testing however. So some unusual fast-idle may be needed before submitting to one.

My prior car has spent most of it's life 23 years being grossly over-cooled due to a bad thermostat bypass valve. Winter heat output, ash in the catalytic converter (media illegally removed) were the only issues of consequence. (no emissions testing here) One would think or assume water in the exhaust would be an issue but it is OEM with >330k miles in the rust belt.

zanethan

Well, damn, this is bad news. My build date was 04-03-2015, I think I'm in the clear.
You're in the clear by almost a year lol. Build dates affected are from 11/13-5/14.

This definitely sucks. Mines in the clear as well but I wish Ford would do the right thing and replace the heads of all cars impacted instead of this B.S. coolant sensor. As others have said I will definitely think twice when purchasing my next vehicle, but to be fair there isn't a car company out there that hasn't done something like this. So it's really 6 one way a half dozen the other.

Yeah mine is 03/14 so I fall within it and I can see the recall on my account.
Although my car doesn't lose coolant so that's one thing,and based on SourSkittle description of the newer head. I do have a sensor below that coolant line. So maybe I have the newer head?

A picture would definitely confirm it.

Well, damn, this is bad news. My build date was 04-03-2015, I think I'm in the clear.
My build date is 12/18/14 and I can assure you I have had disappearing coolant, coolant smell, and overheated 4-6x?!? I bought a Mishimoto radiator that I havent installed yet. Getting warm in TX so I am going to schedule an install in the coming weeks.

I'm just going to mod the F out of the car until it blows! Luckily it is almost almost paid off and I'm in the market for a Tacoma to use as a work vehicle. This is the funnest car I've ever owned...and I've owned some fun cars. Drive it till she blows. F it!!!!!!!

[driving]

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
You're in the clear by almost a year lol. Build dates affected are from 11/13-5/14.

This definitely sucks. Mines in the clear as well but I wish Ford would do the right thing and replace the heads of all cars impacted instead of this B.S. coolant sensor. As others have said I will definitely think twice when purchasing my next vehicle, but to be fair there isn't a car company out there that hasn't done something like this. So it's really 6 one way a half dozen the other.
All you have to do is what you are probably doing anyway....check your fluids. Way less than 1 percent cases in the US. Ford nor any maker will not replace hundreds of thousands of heads due to a miniscule failure rate caused by low levels. Idiot light should solve the issue.