Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford recalls 440k vehicles due to fire risk

All you have to do is what you are probably doing anyway....check your fluids. Way less than 1 percent cases in the US. Ford nor any maker will not replace hundreds of thousands of heads due to a miniscule failure rate caused by low levels. Idiot light should solve the issue.
Says the guys with the 2016.... [bootyshake]

All you have to do is what you are probably doing anyway....check your fluids. Way less than 1 percent cases in the US. Ford nor any maker will not replace hundreds of thousands of heads due to a miniscule failure rate caused by low levels. Idiot light should solve the issue.
Assuming the .... people will pay attention to the idiot light!! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I knew when I posted that comment people would say that. I would say the same if I had a '14......I understand that allowing your coolant to drop below the level of your aluminum head is begging for a disaster in any car. And I don't need an idiot light to tell me to check my fluid level frequently. So I would not be hair on fire upset with Ford if I did have a '14. On Ford's side they are responding to those that don't check fluids. I just do not see Ford changing hundreds of thousands of heads for the reported 29 incidences caused by low fluid when an idiot light will do the trick. That is like .0001% (29/240,000) or close to 1 in 8,000 will experience a failure if you don't monitor your fluids. So what do you think the odds are if you do? Are you really that concerned at those odds? Like it or not Ford is a business that reports to stockholders. I am and have always been anal about maintaining my cars so this recall would not even get me to the dealer for the idiot light.

Also if I had a '14 it would be like my '16 and only under VERY dire circumstances would I want a dealer to change a head when it is running fine. After 45 years dealing with car dealerships I avoid them like the plague. Keep in mind this recall is NOT for defective parts but defective owners who need a light to tell them to maintain their cars. Do you really want YOUR dealer ripping into your car?

Like Ford said in the recall....monitor your fluids and drive like you always have. Or like others on the Forum light your hair on fire and threaten to sue Ford because they expect you to maintain your car. Or dumping on Ford for being so mean to them by not giving them a new head. I guess old age brings wisdom to analyze before overreacting on life's major, disastrous tribulations like a recall. I have been through many, and even though my hair is gone it is not fire related.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I knew when I posted that comment people would say that. I would say the same if I had a '14......I understand that allowing your coolant to drop below the level of your aluminum head is begging for a disaster in any car. And I don't need an idiot light to tell me to check my fluid level frequently. So I would not be hair on fire upset with Ford if I did have a '14. On Ford's side they are responding to those that don't check fluids. I just do not see Ford changing hundreds of thousands of heads for the reported 29 incidences caused by low fluid when an idiot light will do the trick. That is like .0001% (29/240,000) or close to 1 in 8,000 will experience a failure if you don't monitor your fluids. So what do you think the odds are if you do? Are you really that concerned at those odds? Like it or not Ford is a business that reports to stockholders. I am and have always been anal about maintaining my cars so this recall would not even get me to the dealer for the idiot light.

Also if I had a '14 it would be like my '16 and only under VERY dire circumstances would I want a dealer to change a head when it is running fine. After 45 years dealing with car dealerships I avoid them like the plague. Keep in mind this recall is NOT for defective parts but defective owners who need a light to tell them to maintain their cars. Do you really want YOUR dealer ripping into your car?

Like Ford said in the recall....monitor your fluids and drive like you always have. Or like others on the Forum light your hair on fire and threaten to sue Ford because they expect you to maintain your car. Or dumping on Ford for being so mean to them by not giving them a new head. I guess old age brings wisdom to analyze before overreacting on life's major, disastrous tribulations like a recall. I have been through many, and even though my hair is gone it is not fire related.

CSM

1000 Post Club
- Hmmm I recently took my 2014 FiST into the dealer for a disappearing coolant issue...its not a major amount, but I'd say I have to top off the reservoir from the MIN to MAX line about 2-3 times a year. The dealer couldn't find an issue...pressure test checked out ok. I wonder if the coolant is simply flashing off from excessive heat?
- Seems to me like a big lawsuit could come Ford's way for this, especially if they knew these motors were a fire hazard prior to building the FiST.

GAbOS

You are missing the point. Yes, it's a maintenance item but no one should have to 'top off' a new car a few times a year. That is something I expect from my high mileage '89 BMW. I would also call a known issue with cooling passages in the head a very dire issue. I prefer to be proactive versus reactive. It's like putting black tape over your check engine light. Fixes nothing.

You are missing the point. Yes, it's a maintenance item but no one should have to 'top off' a new car a few times a year. That is something I expect from my high mileage '89 BMW. I would also call a known issue with cooling passages in the head a very dire issue. I prefer to be proactive versus reactive. It's like putting black tape over your check engine light. Fixes nothing.
He just likes to argue lol. Anyone can say its no big deal when it doesn't affect them.

FistSt215

Use that site to check when my was built . 7/28/14 was my build date . My wife has a 14 escape SE gotta check her vin to see when hers was built

Just read that ford made 10.4 billion last year! I think they can afford fix our cars!

Intuit

3000 Post Club
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...e-to-fire-risk?p=225111&viewfull=1#post225111

No one answered my question. I guess I need to express it like jmrtsus.

You lazy good for noth'n deadbeats look'n for a free engine! (the attention getter)

Can engine fan on/off temperatures be changed via ForScan or does this require a reflash ?

Of course kidding jmrtsus. You make a lot of sense. Even though I'm not among the affected, will pay closer attention.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
I don't think it's a matter of cooling it down a couple degrees. It's a defect in the coolant passage causing dead spots in the flow. I was losing coolant and a pressure test showed nothing. Finally it was hard starting and the sweet smell and white smoke at start up. I checked plugs and #3 showed signs of coolant. Took it to dealer and received new engine under warranty. I don't think an oil leak is something you'll be able to monitor at least until the flame becomes apparent.

SPhilli911

My build date is 12/18/14 and I can assure you I have had disappearing coolant, coolant smell, and overheated 4-6x?!? I bought a Mishimoto radiator that I havent installed yet. Getting warm in TX so I am going to schedule an install in the coming weeks.
Yeah, well even though my car apparently falls well outside the range of affected cars I still need to top of my coolant. Just need to keep an eye on it I guess.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
No one mentioned anything about cooling the engine a couple of degrees. Also...
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...e-to-fire-risk?p=225111&viewfull=1#post225111
...the reply makes it 100% clear that we're aware of the alleged design flaw. A reply that not only avoids the point that was expressed, but does not answer the question. Guess that didn't work LoL!

I don't think it's a matter of cooling it down a couple degrees. It's a defect in the coolant passage causing dead spots in the flow. I was losing coolant and a pressure test showed nothing. Finally it was hard starting and the sweet smell and white smoke at start up. I checked plugs and #3 showed signs of coolant. Took it to dealer and received new engine under warranty. I don't think an oil leak is something you'll be able to monitor at least until the flame becomes apparent.
I 100% agree with you. Also most people with blown motors have the issue on cylinder 3 as well, doubt it's a coincidence. Glad to hear your dealer replaced the motor though!