Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford recalls 440k vehicles due to fire risk

I wonder where the coolant light would be added. Would hate for an unsightly tacked-on gauge cluster light or worse.

A7xogg

Ford made a head revision in 2015 meaning they knew the earlier models had the issue. It sucks for 2014-2015 model owners cause I would be constantly worring about my coolant levels which I always try and check when I can. I had a gti before the fist and had to worry about the water pump going out on that car so I know the feeling

i have a 2014 fiesta st in Canada just wondering if anyone in Canada has got any notice from there dealer yet

i have a 2014 fiesta st in Canada just wondering if anyone in Canada has got any notice from there dealer yet
I have not, I think they're sending letters out on the 18th. The recall will happen in 2 stages, a bigger coolant reservoir and rerouting the plumbing in the second quarter of 2017, then installing the sensor and associated software in the 4th quarter of 2017... so we've got some time before anything happens yet

Intuit

3000 Post Club
For those with the older head-casting, an option for possible consideration, may be to over-cool it.

There are a couple of threads about ForScan. Are there any parameters that can be modified for engine fan on/off temperature or does this require a reflash?

How difficult is it to access and replace the thermostat with a colder temperature? For example if the default is 193?F, would a modded 180?F with a lower engine fan on/off be a good work-around?

Cooler engines aren't good for emissions testing however. So some unusual fast-idle may be needed before submitting to one.

My prior car has spent most of it's life 23 years being grossly over-cooled due to a bad thermostat bypass valve. Winter heat output, ash in the catalytic converter (media illegally removed) were the only issues of consequence. (no emissions testing here) One would think or assume water in the exhaust would be an issue but it is OEM with >330k miles in the rust belt.
The answer that was given to this question about whether ForScan could be used to modify fan on/off temperatures is: NO.

Core engine control parameters require an access port and re-flash.

Now that the question has actually been answered, if someone wants to debate the logic of lowering coolant temps, you may proceed.

This morning my coolant level was barely below min.
I bought mine certified used with a 100k mile warranty powertrain plan. It's an earl 2014 model.
Has 35k on the clock
I've done a stage 1 tune, Cobb cat back, mishimoto oil catch can..
Going to buy coolant after work.
I guess I'll have to wait for the ineveitble fate of the head cracking and hopefully Ford will replace it under warranty.
It's a damn shame too I just bought a mountune intercooler and a 2j downpipe. Will have to sell. Anyone interested ?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Re coolant level, if that is the reading with your engine cold, and it never got low enough to reach the hose, then it has likely been okay.

Fluid and engine parts expands as they heat-up. So that pushes the coolant toward the higher "max" mark.

I looked at the reservoir in my '16 a couple of weeks ago and the hose is just below minimum. The reservoir sits higher than the radiator and engine so that should be a positive, but is it possible that air somehow gets introduced to the system if the fluid drops to hose-level; and that's what they're worried about?

Makes sense.
I think we're worried about coolant evaporating and running hot eventually leading to cracks. But if i read correctly earlier on this thread won't the heat spots still crack over time even if enough coolant is being replaced?

I just got the recall letter. It says fourth quarter 2017 parts are expected to become available. Ford will send follow up letter when parts are ready. It says for now to keep an eye on coolant levels.

MOFiST

My Aussie 2013 went in for the recall yesterday.
They did a 40 minute pressure test of coolant system and told me everything was fine and no further action was required.
Still unsure about this head issue but I think I'll take my chances and keep this car.

XuperXero

Damn, I'm affected too. But my car has seen hard track days in summer and not a single overheat or loss of coolant. Maybe I'm one of the few lucky ones. *knocks on wood*

Got my letter in the mail yesterday for my 14, but i have had zero overheating issues and not lost any coolant, so I am pretty sure I am just going to leave it be. Hopefully I don't ruin my record by saying so, but I got my FiST in September of 13 and neither it nor I have been back to the dealership since.