Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford recalls 440k vehicles due to fire risk

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Ford issues two big recalls for fire risk, door latches

Ford issued two major recalls today for a variety of vehicles across its line. The more serious of the two addresses a possible fire risk, and it encompasses approximately 231,000 cars in North America with the turbocharged 1.6-liter inline-4 engines. Included are the 2013-2014 Fusion built at the Hermosillo factory, 2014-2015 Fiesta ST, 2014 Escape, and the 2013-2015 Transit Connect.

The fire risk comes after the car has overheated from a lack of coolant circulating. The overheating could lead to a cracked block and subsequent oil leak that could ignite. Ford says it has received reports of 29 fires in North America so far, but no injuries or deaths have been reported. The company hasn't provided a specific reason for why coolant might not be circulating, but the fix involves the free installation of a coolant level sensor when the part is available, and mail notification to owners to check coolant and refill if necessary. It would seem that the issue involves vehicles losing coolant for a variety of unrelated reasons. We've reached out to Ford for details and will update this post when we know more.

The second of Ford's large recalls involves broken door latches. Roughly 211,000 cars are covered by this recall, including the 2014 Fusion built at the Flat Rock plant, 2013-2014 Fusion built at the Hermosillo facility, 2014 Fiesta, and 2013-2014 Lincoln MKZ. According to Ford, the "pawl spring tab" in the latch could break, which could lead to the door opening unexpectedly while driving. Ford says it hasn't received any reports of injuries or deaths from the issue, and it will replace all door latches on all affected cars with a stronger version. The repair will, of course, be free to the customer

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
[MENTION=688]Sourskittle[/MENTION] called it first

Not much of a 'fix' being offered by Ford. They should be replacing the head with the 2016 part (since we're not par tof the recall)

Dealers also will check coolant levels for owners. If vehicles leak coolant or overheat, they should be taken to a dealer, Weigandt said.
If parts are available, dealers will install a coolant level sensor and a warning light on the dashboard telling owners if the coolant level is low, Weigandt said. She did not know if the company will fix coolant leaks, but said she would check.

caliboy15

I had overheating issue with my 2015, the fan stopped working. when replaced that and I don't have issues anymore

Great. My car has had a coolant leak since the beginning (October 2013!) and several pressure tests have found nothing at the dealership.

A sensor is nice and all but how do I get them to fix it (new engine?).

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Wasn't the cooling fan relay replacement (service bulletin) a fix for many of these overheating issues?

Recall Date: MAR 27, 2017
Recall Title: COOLANT LEVEL SENSOR SYSTEM INSTALLATION
NHTSA Recall Number: 17S09
Ford Recall Number: 17S09
Recall Description: SUBJECT VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 1.6L GTDI ENGINES MAY EXPERIENCE UNDERHOOD FIRES DUE TO LOCALIZED OVERHEATING OF THE ENGINE CYLINDER HEAD, POTENTIALLY LEADING TO CRACKS AND RESULTING IN OIL LEAKS. FOR THIS TO OCCUR, THE VEHICLE MUST HAVE A COOLANT LOSS WELL BELOW THE MINIMUM LEVEL IN THE COOLANT BOTTLE AT THE TIME OF A COLD START OF THE VEHICLE. WHEN A COLD ENGINE IS STARTED WITH INSUFFICIENT COOLANT AND THE VEHICLE IS DRIVEN, THE CYLINDER HEAD UNDERGOES RAPID HEATING, WHICH CAN LEAD TO LOCALIZED OVERHEATING OF THE CYLINDER HEAD AND RESULTANT CRACKING. AS OF MARCH 17, 2017, FORD WAS AWARE OF 26 REPORTS OF UNDERHOOD FIRES WITH A CRACKED CYLINDER HEAD, INCLUDING LOCALIZED FIRES NEAR THE TURBOCHARGERS. FORD IS NOT AWARE OF ANY REPORTS OF ACCIDENT OR INJURY RELATED TO THIS CONDITION.
Risk to Safety: A CRACKED CYLINDER HEAD CAN RESULT IN A PRESSURIZED OIL LEAK. OIL THAT COMES INTO CONTACT WITH A HOT ENGINE SURFACE, INCREASES THE RISK OF AN UNDERHOOD FIRE.
Remedy Program: OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL AND INSTRUCTED TO TAKE THEIR VEHICLE TO A FORD OR LINCOLN DEALER TO HAVE A COOLANT LEVEL SENSOR AND THE SUPPORTING HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE INSTALLED. THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE FOR THIS SERVICE. FORD PROVIDED THE GENERAL REIMBURSEMENT PLAN FOR THE COST OF REMEDIES PAID FOR BY VEHICLE OWNERS PRIOR TO NOTIFICATION OF A SAFETY RECALL IN FEBRUARY 2017. THE ENDING DATE FOR REIMBURSEMENT ELIGIBILITY IS MAY 8, 2017. FORD WILL FORWARD A COPY OF THE DEALER NOTIFICATION LETTER, TO THE AGENCY, WHEN AVAILABLE.
Manufacturer Notes: TO CHECK FOR NON-SAFETY-RELATED PROGRAMS APPLICABLE TO YOUR VEHICLE, SEE HTTP://WWW.FORD.COM/ OR CALL YOUR FORD DEALER.

I copied this directly from Fords website. For anyone who doesn't know you can look up recalls by vin on their website.

Ford Recalls NA Market Vehicles with the 1.6 EcoBoost Due to Fire Risk

Article here.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ford-recalls-440k-vehicles-for-fire-risk-door-latch-trouble/2017/03/29/308cdb98-1481-11e7-bb16-269934184168_story.html?utm_term=.c669b6dbde6f

The engine fire recall covers over 360,000 vehicles in North America and Europe. In North America it includes Escape SUVs from the 2014 model year, plus the 2014 and 2015 compact Fiesta ST, the 2013 and 2014 Fusion midsize car and the 2013 through 2015 Transit Connect small van. In Europe, the recall covers the 2010 through 2015 C-Max hybrid and Focus small car, and the 2013 through 2015 Transit Connect van. All the vehicles have 1.6-Liter four-cylinder turbocharged engines.
No word on 2013, 2016 and 2017 Fiesta ST models yet or indication that they are even affected

A lack of coolant circulation could cause the engine to overheat, causing a crack in the cylinder head, according to Ford. If that happens, pressurized oil can leak through the crack, and if it hits a hot surface, could cause and engine fire. The company says it has 29 reports of fires in the U.S. and Canada, but no injuries.

Owners can continue to drive the vehicles safely and park them in garages or other structures, spokeswoman Elizabeth Weigandt said. The company will mail customers instructions from the owner?s manual on how to check and refill coolant. Dealers also will check coolant levels for owners. If vehicles leak coolant or overheat, they should be taken to a dealer, Weigandt said.

If parts are available, dealers will install a coolant level sensor and a warning light on the dashboard telling owners if the coolant level is low, Weigandt said. She did not know if the company will fix coolant leaks, but said she would check.
Personally I wonder if this points to a boarder issue with overheating, not just low coolant levels. Overheating in the Fiesta ST is common for those who track/autocross their cars, or in my case rush hour traffic during the summer in Florida.

codestp202

We did see that guy's Fiesta ST catch fire on here recently. Not too happy about them installing sensors ect.

We did see that guy's Fiesta ST catch fire on here recently. Not too happy about them installing sensors ect.
I'm sure the sensors are already present, it is just that there is no readout on actual coolant levels. I wonder if they'll tap into the MFT in order to display this info.

Now wait the article does mention they'll install an actual level sensor. Did we really not have anything even if it wasn't able to give a readout? I can't wait for more technical info on this, because right now it seems vague.

Article here.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ford-recalls-440k-vehicles-for-fire-risk-door-latch-trouble/2017/03/29/308cdb98-1481-11e7-bb16-269934184168_story.html?utm_term=.c669b6dbde6f

No word on 2013, 2016 and 2017 Fiesta ST models yet or indication that they are even affected

Personally I wonder if this points to a boarder issue with overheating, not just low coolant levels. Overheating in the Fiesta ST is common for those who track/autocross their cars, or in my case rush hour traffic during the summer in Florida.
I too think this is BS to the highest degree! My car has overheated in "traffic" 4,5,6... times during summer months in TX heat. Dealer has been able to see two overheat codes thrown but seemed to have no answers to why it overheated?!? My coolant level has to be monitored and filled "all the time" as it creeps below the minimum level.

Sounds like they are putting a "fire" spin on it to cover up a much larger issue. Political spin...28 cars???

C'mon MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I too think this is BS to the highest degree! My car has overheated in "traffic" 4,5,6... times during summer months in TX heat. Dealer has been able to see two overheat codes thrown but seemed to have no answers to why it overheated?!? My coolant level has to be monitored and filled "all the time" as it creeps below the minimum level.

Sounds like they are putting a "fire" spin on it to cover up a much larger issue. Political spin...28 cars???

C'mon MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah I even drove to Ford instead of staying in traffic. Told me it was nothing that they could look into at the time, they were closing in 30 min and even then didn't want to take it as they couldn't pull anything from a quick scan. It didn't throw a code, just went into limp mode. That was one of the first times I drove in that kind of traffic with the a/c on too. Never again did I turn the a/c on when under highway speeds, opening the windows a bit is fine and gets me better mpgs anyways.

My coolant levels haven't dropped too much, still within range. Then again when I do drive the FiST I usually drive during nighttime at 65-70 mph with no traffic which won't overheat the car as much as during the day.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
I do wonder what changed from '15 to '16 in order to apparently mitigate the problem.
its not even ALL 2015 only those from Jan 2013 to May 2014. So a bad batch of something. Likely it is being burnt off but because people are not topping up the issue gets bad. That is my guess on the fact they are not replacing anything (like say a water pump or oil cooler) and only adding a low level sensor.

Last edited:

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
I wonder if the emissions changes have anything to do with it. After 2016 we got the complicated evap lines on the intake.

I know there are some other minor differences as well, but none that have come out of the wood work.

its not even ALL 2015 only those from Oct 2013 to March 2014. So a bad batch of something. Likely it is being burnt off but because people are not topping up the issue gets bad. That is my guess on the fact they are not replacing anything (like say a water pump or oil cooler) and only adding a low level sensor.
Thats interesting. Gonna have to check to see if mine falls in the dates provided.

EDIT: My build date is 22.06.2015, so I'm good to go.

If anyone else is interested in learning their build date, check this site out.

http://www.etis.ford.com/home.do

Ford Community Posts