Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford recalls 440k vehicles due to fire risk

Could be the 14-15's had to be reflashed but my 16' has not.....yet!
My 14 FiST had to be flashed with an updated program with updates for evap canister and issues around filling up with gas and stalling issues. After that was loaded mp215 was reinstalled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GAbOS

Hello,

My 2014 fiesta is part of the recall due to over heating problems. Got 80,000 miles.I always work between 210-230 F. Once a month the coolant was lower than usual so I filled it out. Then I started losing power and it did not go over 15psi, and I heard an air leak. Finally started a missfire on cylinder # 2 and it was coolant. Without knowing that I had a recall, I opened the engine thinking that the head gasket was damaged and I found this.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vn3JjU7TbqLi0ZMI8DB4g9F1BkijBl5l/view?usp=sharing Cylinder 1
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W9-7SMmdJf7CEWUItn8DE23PGQtjMbGm/view?usp=sharing Cylinder 2 (This cylinder had water)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eyD7qo3G4zT6JGsuiFnpTagL5DbiWYLh/view?usp=sharing Cylinder 3
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SRZNa8ygYe41pm5uFTGcgrSk1jFHsYGr/view?usp=sharing Cylinder 4

I was curious and verified the VIN on the ford page and I find the recall. Call the dealer where i buy the car and tell them about what happened to me. It turns out that since I opened the engine outside the Ford workshops, they do not want to accept the car to fix it. Now I am looking for a lawyer to work on this case.

This recall is a major problem with the cylinder head. If your cars have the recall do not wait and take them to the dealer. In many cases they are changing the entire engine.

Very disappointed
I take it you have not read the recall yet?
jmrtsus, I would like to see how this ends up versus immediate daogging of his situation.

Discouraging anyone else ability is testament to where your loyalties lie.

Signed,
Ford Fan (but you make it harder)

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
jmrtsus, I would like to see how this ends up versus immediate daogging of his situation.

Discouraging anyone else ability is testament to where your loyalties lie.

Signed,
Ford Fan (but you make it harder)
People that complain about a recall but are too lazy or just can't read have the problem not the people trying to get them to READ the recall to help them solve the problems. I take it you too are a non reader. Intelligent people read the recall rather than complaining about people that suggest they should read it and answer their own questions....The recall addresses his issue....

Last edited by a moderator:

GAbOS

People that complain about a recall but are too lazy or just can't read have the problem not the people trying to get them to READ the recall to help them solve the problems. I take it you too are a non reader. Intelligent people read the recall rather than complaining about people that suggest they should read it and answer their own questions. .... The recall addresses his issue...

Unfortunately, I can read. Reading your posts discouraging people discussing a recall makes me sick. It is your opinion versus ours. Yelling at people is not going to make what you think fact. ... That.. is a fact. Understand the difference now?

I went for the recall before christmas and all they did was do a pressure test. They told me if I see my coolant is low to come back, but otherwise they are not installing anything.

So I guess I might have a fire hazard on my hands. I thought the recall was to install the sensor on every car, but I guess not? I just don't understand this recall. They know there's a problem, they kind of have a fix (and their fix is litterally to let you know there's an issue, not fix the root cause), but they don't actually do the fix?

And back to that fix, the root cause is coolant is being burned or is evaporating, right? So there's a leak somewhere, supposedly in the head. My understanding of the recall is they are installing a sensor, not fixing the leak... so what is going on here? How is this acceptable?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Unfortunately, I can read. Reading your posts discouraging people discussing a recall makes me sick. It is your opinion versus ours. Yelling at people is not going to make what you think fact..That.. is a fact. Understand the difference now?
No, do you? Where has anyone yelled at anyone? I asked a simple question....."have you read the recall?" ..... You find something wrong with reading a recall. The answer to his situation is covered in the recall......

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
[MENTION=3321]GAbOS[/MENTION] [MENTION=2319]jmrtsus[/MENTION]

I removed name calling and attacking remarks from your posts...

Take your discussion off line through PM if you wish to continue this name calling and attacking of one another...

If I see another post with name calling or personal attacks the post will be immediately removed...

Moving forward, lets keep all discussions civil and mature....

Wow, thanks for posting that file. That is some serious amount of rework and fraught with failure. Anyone want to bring in theirs before mine? [biggrin]
I brought mine in and got it done, went well except for my MP215 tune couldn’t be reloaded and my mishimoto occ is rubbing ever so slightly with the new coolant hose. Got my tune back on but low coolant sensor is disabled till Cobb has another update

...Got my tune back on but low coolant sensor is disabled till Cobb has another update ...
Does this mean the Cobb firmware overrides the updated Ford firmware and eventually, they will incorporate the updated Ford sensor logic?

Is the point of the ford recall 'fix' to simply incorporate a new sensor or is there actually improved cooling? Just trying to assess whether or not I should wait on COBB's update at this point. I do need an oil change, so I was going to combine trips if it made sense to initiate the recall work... thx.

Does this mean the Cobb firmware overrides the updated Ford firmware and eventually, they will incorporate the updated Ford sensor logic?

Is the point of the ford recall 'fix' to simply incorporate a new sensor or is there actually improved cooling? Just trying to assess whether or not I should wait on COBB's update at this point. I do need an oil change, so I was going to combine trips if it made sense to initiate the recall work... thx.
Yes the latest Cobb update whether it be the MP215 or their own on the accessport ignores the low coolant sensor.

The main reason I got the recall done was it includes a lower setpoint thermostat and redesigned overflow blottle along with newly designed coolant hoses. So essentially the coolant system gets a design overhaul, think they also replaced one of the coolant lines to the turbo too.

me32

1000 Post Club
Yes the latest Cobb update whether it be the MP215 or their own on the accessport ignores the low coolant sensor.

The main reason I got the recall done was it includes a lower setpoint thermostat and redesigned overflow blottle along with newly designed coolant hoses. So essentially the coolant system gets a design overhaul, think they also replaced one of the coolant lines to the turbo too.

Correct

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
My car has been at my dealer sense Thursday for recall 17S09, the cooling system upgrade.
All of the inspection has been done and now they are awaiting parts.
I was told the car would take less than a day to complete once the parts arrive.
Thank you, Ford and my dealer for not having the parts in stock for such a large recall.

Dave

GAbOS

My car has been at my dealer sense Thursday for recall 17S09, the cooling system upgrade.
All of the inspection has been done and now they are awaiting parts.
I was told the car would take less than a day to complete once the parts arrive.
Thank you, Ford and my dealer for not having the parts in stock for such a large recall.

Dave
You're getting an upgrade? My recall is only adding a nanny light. [emoji39]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
You're getting an upgrade? My recall is only adding a nanny light. [emoji39]

That is the upgrade.
It also includes, new water tank, cap, coolant level sensor with wiring, hoses, thermostat, PCM update for the light operation, and a new head if necessary.
My car does not require the head replacement as it never overheated that may have caused head failure on other cars.

Dave

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I just got my car back after almost 2 weeks.
Everything looks just fine.
Of course I can't tell if the low coolant light works as it should only come on if the coolant is low (and it is not).
The odd thing is that the invoice says, EGR kit and EGR wiring but we know this really has nothing to do with the EGR system.
Now I can reinstall my tune and catch can.

Dave

CSM

1000 Post Club
I have a 2014 with 54k miles. Was doing an engine oil change and a trans oil change and saw this.

Evidence of engine oil leaking from above turbo manifold, the exact area where the cracking head issue is happening. Ugh, just what I need right now.