Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Changing rear muffler

Thinking about changing rear muffler on stock catback to one with a better sound. Any recommendations?

DangerMouse

Not really worth it in my opinion. If you want a little more sound do a resonator delete, if you want a lot more sound do a muffler delete. If you want to piss everyone off within a 2 mile radius, do a muffler and resonator delete. I may give the resonator delete a go, sounds a little extra fun on the outside without hurting my brain on the inside.

IMG_1678.PNG

I was thinking of doing the same thing myself in the near future. I was looking into coffin muffler. It's a shop with their own brand of mufflers very popular with hot rods and muscle cars. They did a custom exhaust for a ST not that long ago. Of course they did a larger diameter pipe 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 I think. To me it sounds like a more aggressive version of mountune's exhaust I imagine if you used just the muffler it would sound similar just toned down a bit.

If you have a IG check out coffin muffler and look at their sound clip. Let me know what you think? I was going to add the same thread in a week or two, but you beat me to it.

Last edited:

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Not really worth it in my opinion. If you want a little more sound do a resonator delete, if you want a lot more sound do a muffler delete. If you want to piss everyone off within a 2 mile radius, do a muffler and resonator delete. I may give the resonator delete a go, sounds a little extra fun on the outside without hurting my brain on the inside.
Resonator delete does very little for sound......had mine done before the car got home from picking it up. Even when the Sound Symposer delete was done you can't even hear it. I want the Borla or Ford Performance cat back......love the "old school" sound.

DangerMouse

I haven't heard it in person but from the reviews I have watched, you are right, can't really hear it inside the car.

I don't see how changing the muffler would do much either. Best to go with an aftermarket system, but some want a little more sound now before they can afford an exhaust system. Resonator delete or muffler delete shouldn't be more than $75 but that's money you could save towards a good exhaust system.

You can purchase an Axle back muffler from Ford Racing or you can do a custom muffler for any reputable muffler shops. Borla, Magnaflow and many others would sound great. Simple job for a shop. A stainless muffler and tip welded on should run 200 installed.

I did a 2 chamber Flowmaster with a resonator delete. Had a dual stainless tip installed. it has a very deep throaty sound, not the harsh high pitch sound.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
You can purchase an Axle back muffler from Ford Racing or you can do a custom muffler for any reputable muffler shops. Borla, Magnaflow and many others would sound great. Simple job for a shop. A stainless muffler and tip welded on should run 200 installed.
I could be wrong, i am going from and aging memory, I believe the muffler back is for the base Fiesta so the tips will be slightly askew.