Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Windshield washer problems

So I just bought a '14 FiST a few months ago. Recently the front windshield washers have stopped working. The rear one works fine. I can hear the pump working fine and the sprayer sprays. When I press the button for the front sprayer I don't even hear the pump running. I know the pump is one contained unit, but are there two separate pumps for the front and rear within? The fact that I can't even hear the pump running makes me think it's either the pump, or the actual button on the stalk is broken.

I did check to see if the tube was pinched in the hood, and it wasn't. Also, I'd think if the tube was pinched I'd still hear the pump running.

zanethan

There should be 2 separate pumps (I doubt the Fiesta has an electronically controlled valve to divert washed fluid to the front or back). I would wager a faulty pump over the button on the stalk. You could verify this by finding the fuse to the washer pump and see if the fuse is getting a voltage when the button is pressed. If it is getting a voltage than the pump is bad. If there's no voltage than the button is bad.

OP
superhead91
Thread Starter #3
That makes sense. I'll try that. Electrical stuff isn't my strong point, so I wouldn't have thought of that lol.

zanethan

The fuse should be fuse #15 behind the glove box (don't hold me to that though). It also might be a faulty fuse, so make sure to check that when you pull it.

OP
superhead91
Thread Starter #5
Yeah I didn't mention that but I did check the fuse and it looked okay. If the fuse was faulty though wouldn't the rear sprayer not work either?

zanethan

Yeah I didn't mention that but I did check the fuse and it looked okay. If the fuse was faulty though wouldn't the rear sprayer not work either?
Depends if there is a separate fused circuit for the front and rear or if it is one circuit for both. If it is one fused circuit for both then you are correct, if the fuse was bad neither would work.

Having this issue. Looks like it could be fuse 11 or 15. swapped out both with no fix, but fuse 15 was rusty(!). Rear has no issue so maybe it is a separate pump, although, HERE it shows it as the same. Can anyone confirm?

I'm having the same issue. There is only one pump, and I'm fairly certain that the polarity of the pump changes depending if you are trying to spray the front or the back, and that's why there's two hoses out of the same pump.

I did some testing today and I found that I am getting power to the pump from both switches, but when activating the front spray the pump is only getting ~8volts, and it seems that isn't enough to get the pump to do anything.

I did find a previous thread that claimed that it was a bad switch, and that's a good possibility, but in the mean time, since I rarely use the rear nozzle, I'm just going to swap the two hoses at the pump so that when I activate the rear sprayer it sprays on the front windshield.

Just to update this thread. Instead of swapping the lines I found a post on the Mk7 Fiesta EcoBoost Owners Club FB group that explained the same issue that I was having and that the solution was to clean the contacts in the switch. So, with nothing to lose I tried that and it worked! I now have it all working just as it should.

1663631619594.png

Attachments

MarTone

I have the same problem. The fuse have no problem. I disassembled the washer button and cleaned with sandpaper. The motor was tested with other 12V adapter and it works both way with polarity change. Multimeter showed the cabel has power but it does not work with a brand new pump as well. When I disconnect the pump the wipers run 3 times as normal and the rear wiper can do the same when I pull the button.
Anybody has any idea what can I do?