Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Wheel and Tire Installation Costs - $175 a fair price?

I was quoted $175 at a local shop to have my summer tires mounted and balanced on my new wheels (Rota Titan), and then of course mounted onto the car. Also included is the installation and reprogramming/learning of the new TPMS sensors.

Is this is a fair price? What have others paid for a similar service?

Thanks

That seems pricey, I just paid $72 to have my wheels and tires mounted and balanced today. Though I did not have them put them on as it's still a little too cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
Mchris2725
Thread Starter #3
Yeah it seems excessive...I'm going to request a quote from another shop and see what they come back with. It's tough to find somewhere reliable and trustworthy because my car had 5 extra miles on it last time I took in in to get an alignment.

I'm also worried that they will not torque the lug nuts properly. I feel like they will just throw an impact gun on there and call it a day. lol

Yeah to be honest I would get them to mount the tires and then take the time to put them on yourself. Then take it to the dealer and they should reset your tpms for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yeah it seems excessive...I'm going to request a quote from another shop and see what they come back with. It's tough to find somewhere reliable and trustworthy because my car had 5 extra miles on it last time I took in in to get an alignment.

I'm also worried that they will not torque the lug nuts properly. I feel like they will just throw an impact gun on there and call it a day. lol
Is that just a regular spin balance, or a full Hunter Road Force balance (whether or not this actually makes any difference in performance is a debate for another whole separate thread ;) )?

Like ridinVINTAGE says, the impact wrench thing is WHY I NEVER let them install the actual wheels themselves, and always do it myself, at home (IF this is even possible for you?).

The sad part for us Pennsyltuckians is that we MUST let them take off and re-install wheels at least once a year for our EFFING mandatory, privatized state inspection system CRAP. [mad]
During which I watch them like a hawk, and INSIST on them using a torque wrench to re-install, as well as DEMAND to ride along on the stupid, mandatory 'test ride'.

V_2

Do you have a discount tire around you? I got my tires mounted and balanced for $16/wheel and they reset my TPMS for free. I installed them myself but they do it right with torque wrenches and to OEM specs if you prefer they install. And no obligatory "test drive". $175 for mounting is insanely high.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^The test drive I mentioned in my post above was for our required annual inspection here, NOT necessarily after just a tire/wheel installation by a shop.

V_2

Regardless, I know places like Firestone want to take your car out for a "test drive" even if they only change your wiper blades. Just another way to upsell the customer.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Regardless, I know places like Firestone want to take your car out for a "test drive" even if they only change your wiper blades. Just another way to upsell the customer.
...as well as enable a knuckle dragger to potentially BEAT ON your pride and joy! [mad]

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
If the price includes new TPMS with the wheels then it's not excessive. If it's just for labor alone then yes.

OP
Mchris2725
Thread Starter #14
I purchased all the TPMS sensors myself so there is no way I'm taking it to the shop that quoted me at $175. Thanks for all the help everyone I think you saved me at least $75

Zormecteon

For $175 you should be getting new tires with that. ... mounting and balancing shouldn't be more than $15 to $20 per wheel ..... and $20 would be extreme. Maybe if nitrogen filled? .. but I think you got a quote for ONE new tire mounted and balanced.

We charge $20 at my work and $30 if it's 17" or larger wheel size, that place sounds like a rip-off.
Where do you work? Any hook ups further north?

I was quoted by my local Les Schwab $289 to swap my tpms sensors over to my new rims, then mount and balance. I promptly walked out lmao.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
Mchris2725
Thread Starter #19
Well unfortunately my Fiesta was rear ended by a driver with a suspended license on Friday night...so it looks like i'll be waiting a little while before I can put these new wheels on anyway. I have my fingers crossed that the car is not totaled as I have a decent amount of money in aftermarkets parts installed.

Sorry for going off topic