Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Shifter cable/bracket bushings in newer models.

Bought Boomba aluminum bushings for the shifter cable. Once I got to the bracket, I realized the stock bushings are polymer and are very stiff. Wasted my time disassembling. Shifter base bushings are still rubber, so I've put aluminum ones in. Very mild improvement.
2017 model.

Bump. Anyone else experience this? I have a 2017 and wanted to upgrade my bushings...but looks like based on this post it isn't worth it.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It's not a total waste, since poly will eventually wear out/cold form, and deteriorate from heat-cold cycles, whereas the alloy ones will not.

But if they truly are poly, one could wait until the above happens to them before replacement.

I have a 2016, built in early September 2016, and it definitely had the very soft rubber/EPDM (maybe even a silicone-like material??) type bushings in the under hood shift cable bracket.

It's not a total waste, since poly will eventually wear out/cold form, and deteriorate from heat-cold cycles, whereas the alloy ones will not.

But if they truly are poly, one could wait until the above happens to them before replacement.

I have a 2016, built in early September 2016, and it definitely had the very soft rubber/EPDM (maybe even a silicone-like material??) type bushings in the under hood shift cable bracket.
Interesting. Anyone else here with a 2017 try and install new bushings and notice a difference?

Bought Boomba aluminum bushings for the shifter cable. Once I got to the bracket, I realized the stock bushings are polymer and are very stiff. Wasted my time disassembling. Shifter base bushings are still rubber, so I've put aluminum ones in. Very mild improvement.
2017 model.
Do you happen to have any pictures from your install of the new 17' bushings?

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I thought this thread was about some bushings like the end links on the shifter cable to add to long term reliability. Instead we are talking about isolation bushings for a cable mounting bracket? The softer bushings are to reduce vibration levels to the shifter. This is a charm of a manual transmission and I have had many, some were OK some were terrible, very few used a cable to shift and the ones that did sucked. This one is well engineered, precise and a short throw. Can it be "improved"? Sure, if you think it needs a shorter throw go for it, but removing isolation bushings on a cable SUPPORT bracket is not going to change anything but add additional vibration to the shifter. And I am sure to some it will add 3 HP and drop .3 sec. off your 0-60 times.[screwy]

I thought this thread was about some bushings like the end links on the shifter cable to add to long term reliability. Instead we are talking about isolation bushings for a cable mounting bracket? The softer bushings are to reduce vibration levels to the shifter. This is a charm of a manual transmission and I have had many, some were OK some were terrible, very few used a cable to shift and the ones that did sucked. This one is well engineered, precise and a short throw. Can it be "improved"? Sure, if you think it needs a shorter throw go for it, but removing isolation bushings on a cable SUPPORT bracket is not going to change anything but add additional vibration to the shifter. And I am sure to some it will add 3 HP and drop .3 sec. off your 0-60 times.[screwy]
Are we talking about the same thing? These are supposed to make shifting smoother and more precise.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
My point exactly.........how do removing isolation bushings from a mounting BRACKET do a thing that can be measured other than increasing vibrations? Can't, how does more vibration "improve shift feel"? To who? I don't think vibrations are an improvement. Some do I guess. "Excess movement"? I am quite sure Ford spent lots of money when they designed the movement into the mounting to reduce vibration, it has no effect on the shift linkage function, just whether your shifter vibrates. Why would Ford not just mount it to the engine directly with simple bolt holes and not spend a penny on bushings if that does these wonderful things claimed? Hmmmmm?

Think about this. If your engine rocking as much as an inch on acceleration or deceleration on the motor mounts does not affect "shift feel" how does the 1/16 of an inch or less allowed by the isolation bushings do it. Again Hmmm?

Notice the market speak.....they say nothing that can be measured or proven like "feel" and "excessive". I am sure they are high quality parts, do I want them? No thanks, I will spend money on things that do something I think is positive and vibrations are not that.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Much like the stiffer rmm I can say the busing have helped remove mushy that I felt on mine. Does not help the throw and yes can / will increase vibration. But I wanted the mushiness removed. Another thing that can help the transmission feel is the fluid change. Not saying which is best as there are many threads. Just advising it will help.

My point exactly.........how do removing isolation bushings from a mounting BRACKET do a thing that can be measured other than increasing vibrations? Can't, how does more vibration "improve shift feel"? To who? I don't think vibrations are an improvement. Some do I guess. "Excess movement"? I am quite sure Ford spent lots of money when they designed the movement into the mounting to reduce vibration, it has no effect on the shift linkage function, just whether your shifter vibrates. Why would Ford not just mount it to the engine directly with simple bolt holes and not spend a penny on bushings if that does these wonderful things claimed? Hmmmmm?

Think about this. If your engine rocking as much as an inch on acceleration or deceleration on the motor mounts does not affect "shift feel" how does the 1/16 of an inch or less allowed by the isolation bushings do it. Again Hmmm?

Notice the market speak.....they say nothing that can be measured or proven like "feel" and "excessive". I am sure they are high quality parts, do I want them? No thanks, I will spend money on things that do something I think is positive and vibrations are not that.
You make a good point. I noticed that quite a few aftermarket companies make poly bushings with different durometers as opposed to alumunium. Not sure if there are any for the ST though at this moment.

Last edited:
Maybe we need a guinea pig! Someone needs to install the new Motorcraft parts in a previous model and see if it makes a difference.
(It won't be me; Motorcraft parts are crazy up here. I priced the Carbon Fibre ST shift knob; recall something like $60 in the US, $167 up here!!! WTF???

Boomba Racing

1000 Post Club
We'd love to see pictures of what you're talking about because this is the first we've heard of this.

Just to clarify, we sell two different kinds of bushings. Our trans bracket bushings go under the hood on the bracket that holds your linkage to the trans.

Our shifter base bushings go inside the vehicle at the bottom of the shifter base near the shift lever.

We'd love to see pictures of what you're talking about because this is the first we've heard of this.

Just to clarify, we sell two different kinds of bushings. Our trans bracket bushings go under the hood on the bracket that holds your linkage to the trans.

Our shifter base bushings go inside the vehicle at the bottom of the shifter base near the shift lever.
You'd have to ask stascom if he has or wait until I get inside my vehicle to install my short throw shift plate (awaiting my Mountune MP215 - 2017 firmware update to install everything). This is in reference to the trans bracket bushings (see earlier post). What are your thoughts on the vibration of aluminum bushings on the trans bracket vibrating the shift cable? Is there a benefit to having Aluminum as opposed to poly or rubber? jmrtsus makes a good point, why doesn't ford just not have bushings at all?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Is there a benefit to having Aluminum as opposed to poly or rubber? jmrtsus makes a good point, why doesn't ford just not have bushings at all?
The thing is, (and as a counter-point to jmrtsus' informed opinion, and whom I usually FULLY agree with ;) ) IF a stiffer bushing did nothing at all to effect/help the directness, or 'feel' of the shift, and ONLY added to the NVH factor, then WHY did Ford choose to go to a MUCH stiffer/higher durometer bushing as an improvement to the latest model year FiSTs? [dunno]

Jmrtsus is 100% correct in my opinion. I still have a brand new set sitting right here and was gonna install them along with my short shift adapter. I only had a few thousand miles on the car at the time and the stock bushings were super tight with absolutely no slop on the bracket. Even had a friend look under the hood as i was shifting and there was basically no movement whatsoever. Im 100% convinced theyre to reduce nvh and thats all. The "newer" stock bushing may only be and better design to last longer. I think those aluminum bushings are a gimmick and do nothing to improve performance. But that's only my opinion on it, which doesnt amount to much. Lol

Jmrtsus is 100% correct in my opinion. I still have a brand new set sitting right here and was gonna install them along with my short shift adapter. I only had a few thousand miles on the car at the time and the stock bushings were super tight with absolutely no slop on the bracket. Even had a friend look under the hood as i was shifting and there was basically no movement whatsoever. Im 100% convinced theyre to reduce nvh and thats all. The "newer" stock bushing may only be and better design to last longer. I think those aluminum bushings are a gimmick and do nothing to improve performance. But that's only my opinion on it, which doesnt amount to much. Lol
Thanks for your comment bretley. Another vote for the stock trans bushings!

Boomba Racing

1000 Post Club
For anyone doubting the effectiveness of these bushings, here is a four page thread filled with nothing but positive reviews: http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/1969-Boomba-Racing-Transmission-Cable-Bracket-Bushings

The stock ones are made out of a cheap rubber material because its cheaper than making them out of something better; simple as that. When a car is mass produced a lot of parts are compromised on simply for the fact of it being "okay" but cheaper to produce. The Fiesta ST stock intercooler is a perfect example. It is okay but after 2 pulls your charge temps are through the roof and your car is down on power; definitely room for improvement.

These bushings do not add any NVH to your vehicle. If you want to see the difference, simply pull out your stock bushings and see how flimsy and rubbery they are. The Boomba bracket bushings improve the feel considerably.

Any other questions, just let us know!