Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune Fiesta MRX Turbo

I think at this point I'd still get an x47 or Cyborg over this. The peak power is at much lower RPMs and you still retain that insane torque curve that makes the car so fun to drive.
Power and curve aside, one thing that appeals to me with a Hybrid is some what stock appearance and stock fitment. When I bought my FiST I was pretty set on an X-37, since the 47 it was kind of a no brainer even though my original goal (before purchase) was 300WHP. If we see this kit making up to 330whp with meth, it would be a toss up and need to verify response time. I honestly think I will be more then happy with what the X-47 has proven so far, if only the X-37 or the original Cyborg were around I would most likely be getting this kit, but when a Hybrid is running out of fuel, it kind of tells the story itself.

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #83
Is this turbo a GT2554R? Did we establish this Brura22?
I also gotta add, did we establish that the x47 is a stock frame turbo? Lol
This isn't just a 2554r, it's only fair that we mention it has an upgraded compressor wheel (just like hybrids do) and 3 inch housing.

That's like saying every hybrid is just a stock turbo...

I love mountune. I have pretty much everything on my FiSt from them, but turbo wise I decided to spend the couple hundred extra and get the X-47 with a ported exhaust manifold and turbine housing, machine in the bigger C39 compressor wheel, bigger turbo inlet and DHM tune. That's with all necessary gaskets and i exchanged the studs on the head and turbo to new ones. So far The power from 3k- 6+ is unbelievable. I was going to wait until this kit came out and personally I am glad I didn't personally. I hit 21psi by 3k.

It is but it has a anti surge housing and a 11 blade compressor wheel. That makes it larger than the regular 2554 right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Should call it GT2554r+.

Not the GT2554 from ATP. The recirc-groove housing doesn't appear on GT site. Nor anywhere else (yet). No expert, can any one confirm? Really interested in its improvement over the normal 2554. If difference anything like published charts between GTX2860 gen2 and GT2860, then I'm really looking forward it.

Don't expect to spool as quick as C39 or X47. Just physics of larger wheel moving power band further up.

I, for one, relish the multitude of options available for the FiST.

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #86
Alright let's get to the truth here since there seem to be a ton of ridiculous contradictions.

This is practically a GTX2554r+

Let's break down what makes a GTX so great. DHM raves about them, and all their fanboys rave about them. After all, it's part of what makes their kits spool so well? Right, I know their full 3 inch exhaust and tubular manifold help, but they have straight up said the GTX provides better spool and more top end.
Any car community that run GT's then run GTX's have all confirmed better response/spool and better top end.

So let's break it down.

So the GTX Upgrade gives you a LARGER diameter BILLET compressor wheel with a larger HOUSING (duh).
Right.

REGULAR ATP GT2554r

Compressor Wheel - Cast

MOUNTUNE MRX GT2554r

Compressor Wheel - LARGER 11 Blade BILLET Wheel. LARGER housing.

I'm sorry but I will call this a GTX2554r all day. It's exactly what Garrett does to their GTX line.

Now let's break down what all the popular hybrids do.

Stock Turbo - Cast Compressor

Hybrid Turbo - LARGER xx Blade BILLET Compressor Wheel. Stock housing is kept but it is machined out to accommodate the larger wheel.

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #87
Should call it GT2554r+.

Not the GT2554 from ATP. The recirc-groove housing doesn't appear on GT site. Nor anywhere else (yet). No expert, can any one confirm? Really interested in its improvement over the normal 2554. If difference anything like published charts between GTX2860 gen2 and GT2860, then I'm really looking forward it.

Don't expect to spool as quick as C39 or X47. Just physics of larger wheel moving power band further up.

I, for one, relish the multitude of options available for the FiST.
From the Evo guys, discussing the anti surge housing.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Power and curve aside, one thing that appeals to me with a Hybrid is some what stock appearance and stock fitment.
Same here, but what is our power train warranty period again, 5 year/100K mile, or something else? (forgot)

Either way, by the time I can afford ANY of these many options, the power train warranty will be LONG gone! [:(]

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Same here, but what is our power train warranty period again, 5 year/100K mile, or something else? (forgot)

Either way, by the time I can afford ANY of these many options, the power train warranty will be LONG gone! [:(]
What do mods have to do with warranty? Or with finances? People chime in just to bitch about money or their wife. Forums turning into more men complaining about their wife's etc, more than actual information to help the guy ACTUALLY shopping, with real funds.

FWIW I don't go around telling the world about shit like that but guess everyone's different!

Sent from my CIA monitored device

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^IF a hybrid turbo APPEARS fully stock and factory to a dealer service dept., there will be MANY less problems OR questions raised concerning warranties/recalls/TSBs/etc.
THAT is what these mods have to do with warranties. [wink]

Now, IF you do not give one F**K about a warranty, or are actually wealthy enough to replace a major component with an even better/more costly one if necessary, then all the more power to ya!
For some on here, this is their ONLY car, and they ARE on a 'fixed income' (for whatever reasons), so these things DO matter to them.

(Maybe they should be forbidden to even read these threads, let alone post in them, according to you and some others on here??)

The finance thing was NOT a "bitch", just a simple statement, so sorry it bothered you that much. [bigcry]

I am VERY happy for those on here who have the ability/success/wealth to dump $5K-$10K chunks of coin into their FiST at a time. [thumb]

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #91
^^^IF a hybrid turbo APPEARS fully stock and factory to a dealer service dept., there will be MANY less problems OR questions raised concerning warranties/recalls/TSBs/etc.
THAT is what these mods have to do with warranties. [wink]

The finance thing was NOT a "bitch", just a simple statement, so sorry it bothered you that much. [bigcry]

I am VERY happy for those on here who have the ability/success/wealth to dump $5K-$10K chunks of coin into their FiST at a time. [thumb]
So anyways, back to Mountune MRX stuff lol

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I've been following along... There's some confusion. This is the GT2554r that Mountune refers to when they say "around a GT2554r core," minus the compressor wheel:

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #93
I've been following along... There's some confusion. This is the GT2554r that Mountune refers to when they say "around a GT2554r core," minus the compressor wheel:

Yessir it is, they took that, throw a larger 11 blade forged billet compressor wheel on it, and a 3 inch anti surge housing.

Pretty much a GTX upgrade in theory, am I wrong?
I understand the billet wheel they used isn't a Garrett design. But the intent and route they took to reach it was the same.
So in theory the end result should be the same.
A much more responsive, faster spooling, higher output 2554r..

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Yessir it is, they took that, throw a larger 11 blade forged billet compressor wheel on it, and a 3 inch anti surge housing.

Pretty much a GTX upgrade in theory, am I wrong?
I understand the billet wheel they used isn't a Garrett design. But the intent and route they took to reach it was the same.
So in theory the end result should be the same.
A much more responsive, faster spooling, higher output 2554r..

In theory, yes. Another thing to look at is the turbine and turbine housing. If it's the same .A/R...well, expect similar spool characteristics. A bigger compressor wheel basically boils down to more air flow aka power.

I don't want anyone to just take my word for it, because I have other interests, obviously. I'm not going to tell anyone what to think about this option. So, go out and poke around the internet, or pick up some books.

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #95
In theory, yes. Another thing to look at is the turbine and turbine housing. If it's the same .A/R...well, expect similar spool characteristics. A bigger compressor wheel basically boils down to more air flow aka power.

I don't want anyone to just take my word for it, because I have other interests, obviously. I'm not going to tell anyone what to think about this option. So, go out and poke around the internet, or pick up some books.

Yeah that's why i tried to research into the GTX line, because it's proven to increase spool/response and top end.

Does a standard GTX line Turbo have a larger turbine vs it's GT counterpart?

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Yeah that's why i tried to research into the GTX line, because it's proven to increase spool/response and top end.

Does a standard GTX line Turbo have a larger turbine vs it's GT counterpart?
No... Like you said earlier, it's a billet compressor wheel upgrade.

Take a look at these compressor maps. One is the GTX2860r Gen II (left), the other GT2860rs (right). On the whole, I think these highlight what I'm trying to get across.

I've overstayed my comfort level in these parts. Just wanted to show the GT2554r core since there was some confusion.

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #97
No... Like you said earlier, it's a billet compressor wheel upgrade.

Take a look at these compressor maps. One is the GTX2860r Gen II (left), the other GT2860rs (right). On the whole, I think these highlight what I'm trying to get across.

I've overstayed my comfort level in these parts. Just wanted to show the GT2554r core since there was some confusion.

Is there a specific reason you compared a GTxxxxRS to a GTXxxxxR....

For anyone wishing to see the relationship between a GT turbo and the effect of the GTX style upgrade on the EXACT same turbo. Not a "RS" trim to a "R" trim comparison...
Here

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Is there a specific reason you compared a GTxxxxRS to a GTXxxxxR....

For anyone wishing to see the relationship between a GT turbo and the effect of the GTX style upgrade on the EXACT same turbo. Not a "RS" trim to a "R" trim comparison...
Here
I chose the GT2860rs because it's a GT series available for our platform as a kit which has a GTX counterpart. Relevancy. No smoke and mirrors to try and blast through.

Two things would dictate on how a different compressor wheel would mitigate spool characteristics. One is weight and the other is milling (besides size of course). The same principals apply (physics) to turbos as they do everything else. There is no magic or witchcraft, there is just good engineering and pairing to the engine that you are running to achieve the goals you want. Billit wheels can make a bit of a difference but not necessarily unless the above two things I stated are different enough in a positive way to their stamped counter part.

So if they enlarged the compressor wheel they actually hurt spool a bit unless it is counteracted by design or weight. If the wheel is larger it is comparable to a taller gear and will raise the choke line a bit, on the flipside just like being in a taller gear at low revs it will surge or lug if you follow my analogy with gearing.

There are really only a couple of things to decide when picking a turbo and that is use, and goals. A well matched turbo to an engine will come on hard but smooth, a poor matched one will come on hard (on/off) and it depends which side of the map you are on to dictate where. If this turbo is capable of 35+lbs/min well we all know that is beyond our fuel limit and is in the upper ends of what some are willing to go but on the flipside it will have a different driving experience.

I'm not sure how hybrid guys are with getting traction above 5Krpms in low gears, but that is the other thing to consider. If you are having traction issues moving the curve up a bit can help dramatically. The only problem with this is again fuel limit and at that point it is not give and take but just give with out aux fuel.

The point being there are other things to consider besides power and response when it comes to choosing a turbo. Sometimes people get too focused on the trees and forget about the forest.

What happened to this kit? Really big build up (news articles), delays and then just an option to purchase on website...

Nothing on there facebook page, no videos, or specs other than one dyno image?

Their last product (the oil baffle) was up on facebook day 1 with detailed images... I'm surprised they didn't do something for this 'big' kit to help promote it.

I'm interested to see how it performs...