Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune Fiesta MRX Turbo

I put the mountune upgraded wastegate on and I'm only seeing 13.8 lbs of boost. I'm just running the base tune slot one. I thought minimum boost should be peaking at 17lbs if I have a 17lb wastegate.

Why would a wastegate with a 17lb spring need to be preloaded to hold 17lbs?
Unfortunately if it didn't come on the turbo, then you may need to adjust the nut on the wastegate arm to the specific preload. I don't know what it is, but there are a couple here on the forum who have installed it and I'm sure they can tell you. This was the while thing that deterred me from upgrading just yet. I'll eventually do it in the spring.

Unfortunately if it didn't come on the turbo, then you may need to adjust the nut on the wastegate arm to the specific preload. I don't know what it is, but there are a couple here on the forum who have installed it and I'm sure they can tell you. This was the while thing that deterred me from upgrading just yet. I'll eventually do it in the spring.
Thank you for your response. I can't believe that mountune did not include a note or something telling you it needs to be adjusted before installing. That is really shitty IMO. [mad] I mean this is the wastegate specifically made for the mrx turbo. It should be properly adjusted when it is shipped to a customer. Am I crazy for thinking this? If its a 17lb spring you should bolt it on to the mrx turbo and it should make 17psi. I would think that adjusting the preload different than how it is shipped for the purpose of increasing boost that the minimum peak boost pressure would be over 17psi. Please tell me I don't have to take the turbo off again to adjust the preload. Or should I just leave it alone because I will still make enough boost once the wgdc is increased? I need to get this figured out asap since I am getting my car dyno tuned this coming friday.

I don't think it's so much a matter of "preload" as it is that this is a variable length actuator and if all the slack isn't taken out when you install, there is free play for the wastegate to open slightly and not hold pressure. There are minor differences in every turbo, that's why the rod is threaded. If it's even a hair longer than necessary, it won't hold the wastegate closed. They can't make it exact because there's no way of knowing. A turbo is far from an entry level type installation. If you're not prepared to do a little thinking and work, maybe it's not a job for you. Lots of stuff comes without instructions, why do you assume everyone and everything has to coddle to the amature?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Is anyone running this up at altitude, say at 7k feet or higher? I have no problem getting the 10-11 psi in slot one but am peaking at 20-21 psi in slot two.

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #1,288
Is anyone running this up at altitude, say at 7k feet or higher? I have no problem getting the 10-11 psi in slot one but am peaking at 20-21 psi in slot two.
I’m at 4.5k and hit 23 psi peak before the new WG.
Also hit 11 on the old WG.
I’m hitting 16 on the WG now and 27 psi peak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I just got mine in yesterday, and will probably start disassembling the car Monday. Ive got a lot to juggle, but I don't want to make Randy wait too long, and Ive got my next track day coming up in mid-November. Hopefully Ill have plenty of time to troubleshoot if need be, and get a few tunes into before then!

I don't think it's so much a matter of "preload" as it is that this is a variable length actuator and if all the slack isn't taken out when you install, there is free play for the wastegate to open slightly and not hold pressure. There are minor differences in every turbo, that's why the rod is threaded. If it's even a hair longer than necessary, it won't hold the wastegate closed. They can't make it exact because there's no way of knowing. A turbo is far from an entry level type installation. If you're not prepared to do a little thinking and work, maybe it's not a job for you. Lots of stuff comes without instructions, why do you assume everyone and everything has to coddle to the amature?

There was no slack. The wastegate flapper was completely closed. There was the same amount of tension on the rod I removed as the one I installed.
Does it make you feel good inside to insult and disrespect other people? You are the one making false assumptions. I was prepared to do a little thinking and work. I have installed a turbo, supercharger, replaced clutches, transmissions, engines, and many other tasks with success. So I'm definitely not an amateur (thats how you spell it by the way). I certainly don't need coddling. Thanks for being a dick though. I just think it would be good info to provide from the manufacture that the wastegate rod needs to be adjusted. Most things do come with instructions actually. Not everyone knows everything like you.

Last edited:
Do you need a hug?

There is a diaphragm and a spring inside the wastegate, I'm pretty sure you didn't put a tension gauge on it, so I doubt you can say for sure it had "the same amount of tension" on it. It's also a different spring, so it should have more tension on it anyway. You're the one bitching that you didn't get enough guidance for the install. Coddle yourself, princess. Some of the shit I read on here makes my head hurt.

Do you need a hug?

There is a diaphragm and a spring inside the wastegate, I'm pretty sure you didn't put a tension gauge on it, so I doubt you can say for sure it had "the same amount of tension" on it. It's also a different spring, so it should have more tension on it anyway. You're the one bitching that you didn't get enough guidance for the install. Coddle yourself, princess. Some of the shit I read on here makes my head hurt.

Actually, you probably need a hug. I feel sorry for you. You must be filling some void in your life by being an internet tough guy.

I know there is a diaphragm and spring inside. You are correct. I don't have a tension gauge. I should have just said I had to use a little force to install the wastegate rod onto the flapper pin. (I don't know all the technical terms) I'm sure you do though. Either way if I have to make the rod length shorter I would be preloading the spring since the rod wont just fall onto the pin. I had to pull on the rod which I believe is compressing the spring.

If your head hurts from reading on this forum then don't come on here. You will probably be back to insult me some more though.

Fha

Actually, you probably need a hug. I feel sorry for you. You must be filling some void in your life by being an internet tough guy.

I know there is a diaphragm and spring inside. You are correct. I don't have a tension gauge. I should have just said I had to use a little force to install the wastegate rod onto the flapper pin. (I don't know all the technical terms) I'm sure you do though. Either way if I have to make the rod length shorter I would be preloading the spring since the rod wont just fall onto the pin. I had to pull on the rod which I believe is compressing the spring.

If your head hurts from reading on this forum then don't come on here. You will probably be back to insult me some more though.
Think you both need get married. Perfect union there.