Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune Fiesta MRX Turbo

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #781
Just mark the planes you work on ....right on the tail. With Brura22 so I know not to utilize it as a mode of transportation as I value my life more than your crapsmanship...er....craftsmanship. give that guy some credit...maybe he's alittle green compared to you all mighty Brura....but hey Brura....i still love you doodle bug!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Lmao none of my aircraft have crashed yet so I think I'm decent lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Guess Mitch needs a little more practice[;)]
Maybe he can use this negative experience to motivate/influence/INSPIRE himself, and his company, to come up with their OWN kit which is just as power producing, but much easier to install/setup, even if that means using an aftermarket, off the housing type, waste gate.

A setup using their (still a prototype) manifold would be cool, since a non-hybrid kit cannot be 'factory-appearing' anyway.

antarctica24

Sent from my iPhone
I took my time and I was using car ramps and jack stands if I don't include the time it took to take the exhaust off the car I may have somewhere between 6-10 hours. Probably closer to 8. I can't see doing a hybrid install in 2.5 and not doing this one in 2.5 if your were experienced. There no difference unless you could do the whole swap from under the car and not have to take the top apart and even then everything is the same. It's still undoing the intake, do, 2 water lines, 2 oil lines and the hot side pipe.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
I'm still saving and trying to scope out the options. That's why I asked. X47 seems like it might be unreliable but we'll see.
I wouldn't necessarily conclude it's unreliable...But, what is becoming clear very quickly is those few turbo's that have reported failures may have been due to wastegate modifications and boost levels raised beyond the Vendor's recommendations which can accelerate wear...

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...urbo-Milestone?p=246670&viewfull=1#post246670

Also you need a sufficient sample size, extensive accelerated life testing, and statistical analysis to determine "end of life" to establish an average reliability estimate which none of these aftermarket turbo suppliers have done...And with respect to the MRX turbo, there simply are not enough MRX turbo's out in field yet with miles on them to conclude that they are indeed capable of long term reliability either...

Last edited:

Based

I wouldn't necessarily conclude it's unreliable...But, what is becoming clear very quickly is those few turbo's that have reported failures may have been due to wastegate modifications and boost levels raised beyond the Vendor's recommendations which can accelerate wear...

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...urbo-Milestone?p=246670&viewfull=1#post246670

Also you need a sufficient sample size, extensive accelerated life testing, and statistical analysis to determine "end of life" to establish an average reliability estimate which none of these turbo suppliers have done...And with respect to the MRX turbo, there simply are not enough MRX turbo's out in field yet with miles on them to conclude that they are indeed capable of long term reliability either.....
Yeah I understand. Hopefully by the time I have the money to make a decision there will be enough information out there to decide.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Yeah I understand. Hopefully by the time I have the money to make a decision there will be enough information out there to decide.
As I see it FiST owners now have a few great turbo options to choose from...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would recommend a poll be added at the top of this thread to track how many members have already installed an MRX Turbo...

Or use this poll below...

Which Turbo Upgrade did you decide to purchase?

Also you need a sufficient sample size, extensive accelerated life testing, and statistical analysis to determine "end of life" to establish an average reliability estimate which none of these aftermarket turbo suppliers have done...And with respect to the MRX turbo, there simply are not enough MRX turbo's out in field yet with miles on them to conclude that they are indeed capable of long term reliability either...
The only difference I see between the hybrids and the MRX is the bones. I'm not saying Garrett doesn't have their quality issues, because they definitely do. But I trust their quality more than some of these hybrid manufacturers.

Since most hybrid turbo companies don't even have a VSR balancer to balance the rotating assembly, I highly doubt they have a gas flow turbine stand to do durability and burst containment testing. With the MRX I know it has good bones and a just an aftermarket wheel. When you go with the C39 or X47 I am un sure of the quality of parts being used.

I also then wonder if the thrust bearing, thrust collar, journal bearings and shaft are meant to take those added stresses.

Not saying that they can't be doing a great job, but I have seen to many poor quality parts come out of the bad end of China.

One of our components suppliers did testing on some of the turbine wheels coming out of smaller foundries in china and when a particular model turbine wheel was supposed to be %65 nickel, they were only made up of %10 to cut costs and sell a cheaper product

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
The only difference I see between the hybrids and the MRX is the bones. I'm not saying Garrett doesn't have their quality issues, because they definitely do. But I trust their quality more than some of these hybrid manufacturers.

Since most hybrid turbo companies don't even have a VSR balancer to balance the rotating assembly, I highly doubt they have a gas flow turbine stand to do durability and burst containment testing. With the MRX I know it has good bones and a just an aftermarket wheel. When you go with the C39 or X47 I am un sure of the quality of parts being used.

I also then wonder if the thrust bearing, thrust collar, journal bearings and shaft are meant to take those added stresses.

Not saying that they can't be doing a great job, but I have seen to many poor quality parts come out of the bad end of China.

One of our components suppliers did testing on some of the turbine wheels coming out of smaller foundries in china and when a particular model turbine wheel was supposed to be %65 nickel, they were only made up of %10 to cut costs and sell a cheaper product

You make some very good points here... thanks for posting!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I am hoping that by the time I have the coin in hand, and am ready to do this, there will be MANY MORE high quality, reliable, good longevity, aftermarket setups out there (Garrett, BW, or whomever with TOP SHELF and perfectly balanced internals). ;)
Maybe even a good twin scroll deal, or is that just not possible with the space available, manifold, and necessary 'clocking' of the snail itself? [dunno]

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
I am hoping that by the time I have the coin in hand, and am ready to do this, there will be MANY MORE high quality, reliable, good longevity, aftermarket setups out there (Garrett, BW, or whomever with TOP SHELF and perfectly balanced internals). ;)
[Maybe even a good twin scroll deal, or is that just not possible with the space available, manifold, and necessary 'clocking' of the snail itself? [dunno]
Peron actually had a BW twin scroll turbo with manifold, installed, and tested in a FiST about a year ago... but I'm not sure what happened to that effort?

PERON P3xx Twin-Scroll Turbo Thread

Peron actually had a BW twin scroll turbo with manifold, installed, and tested in a FiST about a year ago... but I'm not sure what happened to that effort?

PERON P3xx Twin-Scroll Turbo Thread
I was in conctact with Peron to buy their EFR twin scroll kit. I wanted the kit minus the turbo because I already have a few EFR turbos in my garage. The Peron rep stated that they were re designing the kit because of audible noises that were being produced by the turbo that a lot of people found to be a irritant. I want to say RodMoe and possibly one other forum member had this complaint.

In speaking with them and a friend who works at Borg, the audible noise was caused by the vehicles intake design and the compressor cover with the built in recirculation valve. Something to do with the air passing over the hole where recirc valve sits and how they all interacted.

Anyways so to make the EFR not be an annoyance, they needed to use an SX-E style compressor cover which removes the recirc valve and then they would need to build an intercooler pipe with a blow off valve and some boost reference tube.

The rep over there said they were almost done (6 months ago) with the redesign. But has since stopped replying back to me or giving me updates.

I plan to just have a local fabricator build me a manifold and downpipe and just figure the rest out.

Man barring insane price I would totally be on board for the twin scroll. I still don't know much about it but after reading up on it for the duration of this morning the only downside is price. I wonder why Peron went belly up on it?

Based

Maybe even a good twin scroll deal, or is that just not possible with the space available, manifold, and necessary 'clocking' of the snail itself? [dunno]
Yeah I hope the x47 reliability issues is just because people were using the 11psi wastegate spring. Because the power the x47r makes and it's powerband are beautiful and I really want one.

Yeah I hope the x47 reliability issues is just because people were using the 11psi wastegate spring. Because the power the x47r makes and it's powerband are beautiful and I really want one.

I think you mean the 17psi wastegate spring.